Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Fixed Height Column Mod - Parts List?

Cant believe how much play there is in mine, a deffo must do if i can sort the parts. Didn't even think about it till i read this thread!

AJ

see, the more I think about it the more I realise the 2L 8v was the pinacle of Corrado development,

no (unreliable and heavy) sunroof,

can sit three in the back with the flat bench,

lightest engine and nimblest handling of all the corrados,

most economical,

and the superior fixed steering column as standard.

:lol:

see, the more I think about it the more I realise the 2L 8v was the pinacle of Corrado development,

no (unreliable and heavy) sunroof,

can sit three in the back with the flat bench,

lightest engine and nimblest handling of all the corrados,

most economical,

and the superior fixed steering column as standard.

:lol:

do they not have sunroofs? I had no idea! there was me thinking i needed to convert a very early, cheap-spec car to be a competition-ready track car if i didnt want to weld over the hole in the roof! :)

Update ...

Me and Kev fitted my fixed column yesterday and the difference is amazing, the steering has NEVER felt this good on my car! I can't comment for how it will effect others as my adjustable column had a lot of play in it, I infact only had 2 settings rather than 3 as one of the pins was dislodged.

It was easy enough to do, I wouldn't say you'd need much skill or any special tools other than a good drill and some sharp drill bits to drill out the sheer bolts (and ignition barrel if you want to keep yours). I got a full corrado column tho so was just a case of swapping it. I can also confirm the adjustable trim does not fit, the ignition barrel is in a different position :( so need the proper fixed column trim!

Really glad I done this as it's made the steering so much better and hasn't cost the earth!

Well thats's great news on the way the car feels but a total sh!t about needing the trim AND it being obsolete. I was thinking of buying an early indicator stalk (for the smaller hazard light switch which sits on top of the column) but then dismantling it and swapping the stalk for a later one - so you have a late stalk in an early housing..... I inspected one at a breakers stall at a show and it looks like it's just one or two torx type screws to do it.

The shear bolts will come out with irwins.

Have you actually done this Tom?? = I thought the same but found the profiles to be too rounded and could not get them to grip - drilled out easily enough though.

Yup. Twice.

Just need to encourage the irwins on with the use of a hammer. Not sure if it's a standard sized one or a expansion pack socket.

Yup. Twice.

Just need to encourage the irwins on with the use of a hammer. Not sure if it's a standard sized one or a expansion pack socket.

Yeah - was going to ask what size - I have both sets but just couldn't seem to get them to grip- useful to know they work though!

I went to my dealership this morning to order the parts to convert to a fixed column. I asked them about the trim, they looked in the computer and said it had been superseded. The part numbers are:

535 953 515B 01C - Upper Trim

535 953 516B 01C - Lower Trim

The parts were available, so I have ordered. I will update on if they fit....

that's just the original late dash style part numbers, the 01C is a sub number referring to the colour - black

Yeah they're the part numbers I tried, 01C just means black. They definitely said OBSOLETE in big green letters on my parts guy's computer screen. Strangely though it showed that one half of the trim has been obsolete since late '96 and the other half didn't go obsolete until 2001 or something :confused4:

Went out at lunch round some usual town roads that usually get me swearing, and I was giggling like a little girl at how solid the steering was :clap: still bloody crashy :censored: but the new coilies will be arriving any day to sort that out (hopefully!). So nice to enjoy driving the car again :luvlove:

Yeah they're the part numbers I tried, 01C just means black. They definitely said OBSOLETE in big green letters on my parts guy's computer screen. Strangely though it showed that one half of the trim has been obsolete since late '96 and the other half didn't go obsolete until 2001 or something :confused4:

I'll check the part numbers of mine mate as I bought my cowling in 2006 without any problems at all.

This is confusing indeed as Reidy didn't do this upgrade on his till about 3-4 years ago at the latest... and I simply can't believe they obsoleted a later part before an early part. I've never heard of that happening?!

Yeah 'tis a strange one, especially with it showing 1 half of the late trim being obsolete 5 years after the other half :cuckoo:

I haven't heard from my parts guy yet about the early trim, I placed the order last week and haven't heard anything so maybe he can't even get the early trim now? :confused4: Will be pretty annoyed if I can't even get the early trim as there's no way the adjustable trim can be modified to fit with the fixed column :(

Just wrap a black pull over round the exposed bit and be done with it :D

Bit of cardboard and some black duct tape, bish bash bosh and bob's your uncle :epicfail:

I got the first half (bottom) of the early trim through today, other half should be in tomorrow weirdly. I put it in place and so far looks like it should fit, the ignition barrel is in the right place at least on mine. However the early bottom trim is slightly longer than the late adjustable bottom trim so it fouls the lower dash trim slightly. I'll try and get some pics up so I can show you what I mean, but I think some slight cutting may be needed :( I'll wait until I get the 2nd half tomorrow and actually try to fit it!

Btw did I mention the fixed column is AMAZING??? :notworthy: :lol:

you chaps need to keep an eye out for very early 16v's or 2L 8v's breaking I reckon, that was my original plan to get all the parts in one go, but it just so happened that someone on the forum had bought the early trim new by mistake and was selling them on as he had a later car, right time right place thing.

I'm sure VW didn't obselete the late parts first deliberately, it must simply be down to stock in Germany (back order) I reckon, just so happened the late parts ran out first.

If I sell my 8v next year I might convert it to an adjustable column first, the fixed parts should be worth more than I paid for the car by then I reckon :lol:

Brilliant. No word back from my stealer yet on the parts I ordered.. think I'll drop him a line!