KIPVW

Nugget almost done! Well top bit anyway :)

With a double garage half empty Kip has loads of room to start stripping bit's off/out the nugget before it going in for major surgery.

(Just wish I had had the time to prepare mine so well before going in for its makeover)

Ah, the joys of a bit of bodyshop prepping :D

Mind you, I suppose it´s time to take a few snaps of the state my Mk1 is in, as I´m in the process of changing front wheel bearings. Makes for a fulfilled day, doesn´t it, when you´ve done some car tinkering :clap:

Tempest

nice work paul , getting stuck in, will save the bodyshop stripping it out, plus youll prob be more carfull than they are.

i think my nugget will have to wait until after crimbo until the engine goes in, i have zero dollars , as im moving into a new place.

will update my thread soon!! 8)

Yeah i quite like doing this sort of thing, it's not that i dont trust the guys doing the work but as i have a second hand tailgate i wanted to strip all the trim and mechanicals from the original and fit it all back into the used one when i get it back, that way i know everything works :grin:

Learned quite a lot stripping out the spoiler mech and other gubbins too so pleased about that also. Not to mention it being a damn site easier for them to prepare and paint the intricate shape of the tailgate.

Eric yes was a very nice satisfying few hours! :luvlove:

Did laugh out to myself when i saw the slush puppy sticker under the seats :lol:

Hope youv`e taken lots of digital pics kip or there will be a few nuts and bolts left over and a bit of head scratching, Hehe

Excellent news :clap: . As other folk have said I'm sure you've learned a few tricks of the trade along the way. Good luck with the repair.

Nice one Kip.

Get some self adhesive black felt and replace all the knackered stuff on the interior boot trim while you have it off.

Ooh going in on monday. Getting nervous already lol.

Yan, yeah will do that mate but thats the added bonus of being a deaf twat lol! My cars are the quietest that ever left Karmann :-D

Well had a call yesterday and am now taking it in today :| let the sleepless nights comence :lol:

Well had a call yesterday and am now taking it in today :| let the sleepless nights comence :lol:

It hadn't even left the safety of our garage and he was stressed out this morning. :nuts: :help:

It hadn't even left the safety of our garage and he was stressed out this morning. :nuts: :help:

Is the car going to get daily inspection visits from the Kipster whilst they're rebuilding it? I don't believe the stress has even started yet!

Good luck with the repairs. Make sure they don't paint it flat grey by accident, haha

Is the car going to get daily inspection visits from the Kipster whilst they're rebuilding it? I don't believe the stress has even started yet!

Good luck with the repairs. Make sure they don't paint it flat grey by accident, haha

It will indeed be inspected almost daily john, the body shop is literally 1/4 mile from where i work :lol:

It will indeed be inspected almost daily john, the body shop is literally 1/4 mile from where i work :lol:

Good luck with the stress Kip. I hear that tamazapan is a good way to control it. Get your horse-dosages this weekend.

Then start to stress over the decision whether you will be taking the VR6 or your newly painted nugget to Stanford Hall this spring, haha

Well not sure i'll actually take a car to stanford this year mate but we'll see, lots needed on both cars still especially the VR...

Well not sure i'll actually take a car to stanford this year mate but we'll see, lots needed on both cars still especially the VR...

Good luck with it all, but, no Kip-Charriot at Stanford Hall??? :eek: Can´t do that, as standards will invariably slip, with all the riff-raff candidates entering the concourse :lol:

Tempest

Winter blues Eric. Mr K will be there.

Yes, must be. Can´t have Stanford Hall without certain cars entering. :)

Tempest

Hi Paul and anyone else reading. Its Matt from the bodyshop here (John is the other partner with the mk1 golf) thought id look up the thread and take a look, had a quick scan through and a few chuckles at some of the comments. I will be doing the metal work on the car which is now under way and thought id add a couple of pics of how it looks. Hope you dont mind. I took the pics on my phone but we have also taken some with the camera you left.

imag0283c.jpg

imag0282t.jpg

I have given the rear end a pull to bring out the majority of the damage along with using a dent puller to take out the worst of the creases in the rear quarter panel, its nowhere near the finished article yet but its looking a heck of a lot better allready. The rear panel is also now removed.

I thought id also include a little background on myself to put your mind at ease a little. Im a german car fan since doing my apprentiship at hallamshire motors (BMW) in the early nineties. I still have an affliction for early BMW`s and currently own an E30 M3 which i have fitted an E36 M3 engine to. A previous BMW of mine has graced the front cover of total BMW which started life in my hands looking like this

may050137jw.th.jpg

may050107gb.th.jpg

and ended up looking like this, No photoshop here thats how it looks. This was a photo for the mag

k3c4529le1.jpg

and a photo of it in more natural surroundings when it was first finished.

dscf1585yz9.jpg

After BMW i spent several years at different bodyshops before starting work at Gilders of sheffield in 2000 i think it was. Spent five years working there before starting out on my own but it was a great place to work especially for a german car fan. Whilst there i took part in and won the VW panel technician of the year award and the year after the bodyshop magazine panel technician of the year award. Incidentally im also OCD when it comes to stripping and rebuilding cars but i can understand why you felt the need to take care of this yourself when trusting your pride and joy to someone you dont know.

I think what im trying to say is she is in good hands