Graphite

What parts for the corrado would you like in Carbon Fibre?

Thank you Mikki and Bryan for your posts/support. I didn't realize it was so difficult to find the Euro plate holder on my site.

Sounds like you've got a good idea of where to take this, best of luck with it all. I may end up buying parts off you. When you get going with it, you have to do bonnets. I can't be shipping stuff like that around the world, you would be the only one in the UK making them, a nice position to be in from a business point of view for you. Bet setup is a killer cost wise! Keep us posted.

Hi Matt, Thanks for the positive comments! We will keep this post updated. Stretch and I have just put in an order for our materials to make moulds for the interior door grab handle covers. We are aiming to get the mould made and sorted in the next week and then order up some epoxy and carbon weave and go from there with a trial wet laying. If we are confident our moulds are good enough we will invest in a vacuum system at that point.

Thank you Mikki and Bryan for your posts/support. I didn't realize it was so difficult to find the Euro plate holder on my site.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not? but credit to them, for some reason I never noticed it when I had looked on previous occasions and it isn't particularly difficult to find either :D Well, we all make mistakes. You're right too, they do look good. If we don't end up making our own (as it already exists) I'll probably be buying one off you haha

Edited by Graphite

Hi Troy, only realised it was you after I posted. You alright buddy? Where are you looking at getting the carbon mat from? If you've not seen it, have a look at Carbon Mods website. I've just ordered a kit off them. Not to do commercially but just to play and learn about the processes involved. They are meant to be very good quality. If you want to pm me anytime about this subject, I'm sure we could both get a little more knowledgeable about it.

Hi Troy, only realised it was you after I posted. You alright buddy? Where are you looking at getting the carbon mat from? If you've not seen it, have a look at Carbon Mods website. I've just ordered a kit off them. Not to do commercially but just to play and learn about the processes involved. They are meant to be very good quality. If you want to pm me anytime about this subject, I'm sure we could both get a little more knowledgeable about it.

Haha, I wondered if you would remember! I am very good mate, I hope you are well too. We are looking at sourcing our materials from their parent company Easy Composites at the moment but I have no doubt that we will find a way to get the equipment cheaper as we learn more. I'm not too sure how competitive their prices are on the carbon twill in bulk orders though.

Just a point on material sourcing, perhaps try the distributors or 2nd tier suppliers in the supply chain. They will command a purchase price premium for the bulk purchase so may be cheaper than going direct to the manufacturer who will usually only buy if you place huge orders.

I am very keen to make wings but the production cost in the moulds alone is probably around 2 to 300 quid so as a starting point is a bit risky.

That's how much a late wing costs from VW currently and will probably be obsolete soon, if not already! So I think you'd get your money back on wing development pretty quickly. A steel wing isn't very heavy imo, but rust resistance on these old cars is going to be the biggest benefit in the long run.

How about something small,most of you are short off ?

The covers that go behind the front spoiler and fix to the wheel tub

5284d5e9-9643-aee6.jpg

I have a minty set doing nothing (for a while) could be tempted if you want them as a mould !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49257[/ATTACH]

not sure if they are still available

Edited by dragon green

How about the number plate bulb holder? They all rust and are probably quite straight forward

How about the number plate bulb holder? They all rust and are probably quite straight forward

He did mention that on his 1st post dude, I'd be keen for one of them...

I'd be more keen for some wings though...

Just a little sarcastic. There aren't many parts on my website so it seemed funny.

Please don't think my comments here are in any way being a hater or something. Its cool what you guys are talking about doing and in no way does it bother me about having competition in this market. For me I am not interested in making a lot of the parts that are being discussed here. My business isn't about making every part on a Corrado in carbon fiber or copying existing parts, though a lot of people seem to wish that I would.

Do you have much experience with doing composites? Are you planning to do a wet layup to make these parts and use epoxy? Do you have experience with vacuum infusion? Do you realize that some of the trim pieces that you are proposing have clips, fasteners, or attachment points that can't be replicated easily or sometimes at all in composite?

With buying cloth I am sure its similar in the UK as it is here in the US. If you want to buy direct from a company who weaves their own cloth they sell in 100 yard rolls. The cost per yard is at least half of what you pay when buying per yard. They will sell smaller amounts but they charge expensive cutting fees to do so. What we do is have them call us when they have a cut roll that has 10 or 20 yards.

Many people seem to think this stuff is easy to make and it shouldn't cost that much. I get that a lot from the UK where people think its just a piece of carbon fiber. They don't realize the costs involved with making high quality/low volume parts. There are reasons that almost no one makes parts for these cars, especially stuff like what you are talking about making. There is little money to be made. The materials add up especially when you use infusion. If you want to build parts that have clips and such it gets even more expensive.

Cheers!

I have some mould making materials left over, I am considering making a mould for this with what I have left :)

Just a little sarcastic. There aren't many parts on my website so it seemed funny.

Please don't think my comments here are in any way being a hater or something. Its cool what you guys are talking about doing and in no way does it bother me about having competition in this market. For me I am not interested in making a lot of the parts that are being discussed here. My business isn't about making every part on a Corrado in carbon fiber or copying existing parts, though a lot of people seem to wish that I would.

Do you have much experience with doing composites? Are you planning to do a wet layup to make these parts and use epoxy? Do you have experience with vacuum infusion? Do you realize that some of the trim pieces that you are proposing have clips, fasteners, or attachment points that can't be replicated easily or sometimes at all in composite?

With buying cloth I am sure its similar in the UK as it is here in the US. If you want to buy direct from a company who weaves their own cloth they sell in 100 yard rolls. The cost per yard is at least half of what you pay when buying per yard. They will sell smaller amounts but they charge expensive cutting fees to do so. What we do is have them call us when they have a cut roll that has 10 or 20 yards.

Many people seem to think this stuff is easy to make and it shouldn't cost that much. I get that a lot from the UK where people think its just a piece of carbon fiber. They don't realize the costs involved with making high quality/low volume parts. There are reasons that almost no one makes parts for these cars, especially stuff like what you are talking about making. There is little money to be made. The materials add up especially when you use infusion. If you want to build parts that have clips and such it gets even more expensive.

Cheers!

Haha no probs, I don't know how I missed it to be honest! I have extensively looked into the money/costing side of the resin infusion process and I am happy that there is a great enough margin to make it fairly viable. Were only starting with the corrado as we know the car well enough and have parts readily available.

I am aware that parts have clips etc that are hard to replicate, I thought of the rear plate plinth before I saw yours and had exactly the same idea in regards to the fastening bolts.

I don't have experience with composite materials but I am handy with mould making and finishing materials, it may be a steep learning curve for us but I am convinced we can turn our hands to it with a little practice.

I will look into a bulk supplier, The figures I have been putting together have been based upon a square meter being 20 GBP with a good enough margin for sale, If I can find a bulk supplier then that will be even better.

I am glad you are happy with the idea of competition if there were to be any, but as you say you aren't trying to make a majority of the parts for this car specifically. That's more our aim I guess!

We have made our first mould as of yesterday! It needs finishing but it looks good! We decided on the door grab handle cover. We are going to be buying materials to wet-lay this as a trial next week and have a sample by the end of next week!

---------- Post added at 08:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

How about something small,most of you are short off ?

The covers that go behind the front spoiler and fix to the wheel tub

5284d5e9-9643-aee6.jpg

I have a minty set doing nothing (for a while) could be tempted if you want them as a mould !

[ATTACH=CONFIG]49257[/ATTACH]

not sure if they are still available

Hmm I've never seen these so my car may be missing them? I'm guessing that they aren't visible from out side the car? The exploded diagram is a bit small to see...

Click on the exploding drawing to enlarge ! If you look under front spoiler they go in the corners between spoiler and arch lining,it's all about the aerodynamics !

You really should be using vacuum infusion. Wet layup is not the way to go with CF especially with parts that need to fit properly. We even infuse some of our fiberglass parts in order to achieve the proper tolerances.

The rear plate holder is not a good example of a part with clips that are difficult to replicate. Numerous other trim pieces have much more difficult bits that are more involved to duplicate. You will see once you get further into this venture.

Have you made molds for infusion before? They are a little different than wet layup molds and if not done properly they won't work well at all. There is a certain amount of flange area required so that you can vacuum bag and seal the mold. Also they tend to be a bit sturdier too.

How come you are using epoxy? Its not needed for the application that you are using nor is it going to make things any easier.

To be honest until you start producing parts and can show that you can achieve high quality results, I don't see that there is any competition between us.

Graphite-get me a bulb holder done! I'm in on that!

Dogger-planning on making bonnets by any chance?

Graphite-get me a bulb holder done! I'm in on that!

Dogger-planning on making bonnets by any chance?

Bulb holder? Which one?

I'm also planning to make bonnets, Should have a mould of a passenger side wing next week perhaps. Getting there!

Rear number plate bulb holder, the bit that collects the water and rots away!

I really want a bonnet too! Had one on order before performance trim went bust with my money. My bonnet is shot

Be up for the rear bulb holder as mine is on its way..... obviousley wings and bonnet next year :)

Pete

Progress is slow as I have changed job twice since this started as an idea.

Ordering the materials to mould the front wings, late style, no indicator holes next week.

I should be able to pull the first sets in late January...

I am going to be doing this on my days off as I will have to travel 50 miles to the work space.

Delivery time would be 3 weeks approx, depending on if I get more than one order in at once.

This might be pushing it in low-volume stuff, but I've always wondered why people go exclusively for 'boring' 2x2 carbon twill - there are literally hundreds of different composite fabrics available, all with different properties. The carbon/fibreglass/texalium blends come in tons of different colours for example, or you could use basalt fibre for a ~10% weight saving over CF for the same strength. I'd love some of these parts to be available in different colours, even if it's just a couple of different options - see Soller Composites for tons of examples if you can get past their very-90s web design :)

I'm not suggesting you match every Corrado colour but having a couple of fabric types in stock and being flexible enough to make parts in a few others for specials would be really awesome, even if it cost a bit more. Or maybe I'm just a fashion victim? ;) [edit: actually SFT do this already but it's quite well hidden!]

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

This might be pushing it in low-volume stuff, but I've always wondered why people go exclusively for 'boring' 2x2 carbon twill - there are literally hundreds of different composite fabrics available, all with different properties. The carbon/fibreglass/texalium blends come in tons of different colours for example, or you could use basalt fibre for a ~10% weight saving over CF for the same strength. I'd love some of these parts to be available in different colours, even if it's just a couple of different options - see Soller Composites for tons of examples if you can get past their very-90s web design :)

I'm not suggesting you match every Corrado colour but having a couple of fabric types in stock and being flexible enough to make parts in a few others for specials would be really awesome, even if it cost a bit more. Or maybe I'm just a fashion victim? ;) [edit: actually SFT do this already but it's quite well hidden!]

Stone

Its an option I'm considering, obviosuly the main issue is colour can look very different in a photograph. I would guess I would have to make up some swatches I can post out to people to choose or they come down in person.

Getting close to wings now. I have been hinderd by not being able to find a suitable workspace and I am having to travel to work on this project.