GrahamU

GrahamU's 2.0 TFSI with DSG

9 hours ago, fla said:

Graham yours will be the most technologically advanced Corrado on the planet!

originally the idea was that adding some new tech would make it reliable, but then again, adding to much can cause its own problems, just hope I have the skills to get it all working together 🙂

********Name change**************

Didn't think the rado20vt was appropriate anymore so now a more sensible name chosen

The wheel from the mk7 golf / caddy / polo etc is not longer any good for what I need because it does not have the shift paddles

50550796998_2c64f56a67.jpg

This had been modified to use the Corrado horn plate and is up in the for sale section if anyone is interested

50550797013_839af46422.jpg

So picked up this from a mk5 GTI, has the paddles and slightly better grips 😁

50551530331_8832e588a2.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

2 hours ago, GrahamU said:

The wheel from the mk7 golf / caddy / polo etc is not longer any good for what I need because it does not have the shift paddles

50550796998_2c64f56a67.jpg

This had been modified to use the Corrado horn plate and is up in the for sale section if anyone is interested

50550797013_839af46422.jpg

So picked up this from a mk5 GTI, has the paddles and slightly better grips 😁

50551530331_8832e588a2.jpg

I've got the same wheel, yet to be fitted but replaced the gti badge with a plain insert. 

1 hour ago, fla said:

I've got the same wheel, yet to be fitted but replaced the gti badge with a plain insert. 

I am looking to change the badge with either a plain one or maybe speak to renewert on facebook and see if he can make a Corrado badge to fit it 🙂

Graham? Any advice on how to remove the airbag module completely from the frame without it blowing up in my face? It also weighs a fair bit! Thanks. Hasan

Edit:  Found this link on how to remove.  I'll try and use something else to hold the tabs in place to remove the cage though as opposed to cutting them off.

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-replace-and-remove-airbag-cover.125838/

Edited by fla

On 11/2/2020 at 11:08 PM, fla said:

Graham? Any advice on how to remove the airbag module completely from the frame without it blowing up in my face? It also weighs a fair bit! Thanks. Hasan

Edit:  Found this link on how to remove.  I'll try and use something else to hold the tabs in place to remove the cage though as opposed to cutting them off.

https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/index.php?threads/diy-replace-and-remove-airbag-cover.125838/

That link pretty much shows what I did, 

Mine had not blown, from memory, the plastic cover is clipped on, once that was removed I took out the bag then unbolted the explosive.

I still have the explosive in the garage, have been thinking about a controlled experiment 😁

i'm struggling to find thin enough strips to keep the clips in the open position!  Using jewellers screwdrivers and some wiper blade steel strips but its pretty fiddly.. Then again we're comparing your skills with mine...

Latest purchased from ebay, had been quoted £100 each when I asked at a breakers, there were some cheaper on ebay then these came up and I got them for £28.50.

Will check them over and maybe give them a service before fitting.

Just need to progress this now so I can get some pictures up of them fitted 😁

50571031962_e3ef258483.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

And after seeing some good work on ebay, I copied their idea 😊 and will use this to modify the center trim and fit my radio, climate control and a cup holder better

50570171063_83fe44ba13.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

8 hours ago, GrahamU said:

And after seeing some good work on ebay, I copied their idea 😊 and will use this to modify the center trim and fit my radio, climate control and a cup holder better

50570171063_83fe44ba13.jpg

I was looking at one of these the other day with a view to doing something the same. My Climatronic panel doesn’t always stay put in the console. How well does this fit into the Corrado dash?

Edited by tonedef

7 hours ago, tonedef said:

I was looking at one of these the other day with a view to doing something the same. My Climatronic panel doesn’t always stay put in the console. How well does this fit into the Corrado dash?

I'll get some pics of mine up as I do it but these are some pics that have given me the inspiration, they are from Tam on here but taken from Facebook

50572555332_1134773bcc.jpg

50571679548_36d2e1ddbb.jpg

Of course these pics are for a late dash whereas mine will be an early

Edited by GrahamU

On 11/6/2020 at 1:31 PM, GrahamU said:

I'll get some pics of mine up as I do it but these are some pics that have given me the inspiration, they are from Tam on here but taken from Facebook

50572555332_1134773bcc.jpg

50571679548_36d2e1ddbb.jpg

Of course these pics are for a late dash whereas mine will be an early

Thanks, I like that, it looks like a decent fit, I’m just not sure about losing the ashtray/lighter even though one’s not used and the other has been replaced with a usb socket. Plus there’s the second din slot I don’t need...I see this is going to need thinking about?

10 minutes ago, tonedef said:

Thanks, I like that, it looks like a decent fit, I’m just not sure about losing the ashtray/lighter even though one’s not used and the other has been replaced with a usb socket. Plus there’s the second din slot I don’t need...I see this is going to need thinking about?

I know what you mean, I don't need the double din either but with mine being an early dash, my thinking is that the vents are larger, and with the climate in place I already have to modify the ashtray and the lighter surround so with the added space for the cup holder the height wont be far off with maybe enough room for a small panel with the USB chargers in it

Made a start on my dash insert.

This was my first attempt some time ago, the climate is too big and needed the ask tray trimming which was never gonna look right

50602180287_8ae8e31f52_w.jpg

My plan is to use the radio aperture of the Corrado and add a cup holder and the climate control mount then with whats left use for a couple of USB ports, 1 that goes directly into the rado and another for charging

this is what I started with

50602047966_27a430f8bd_w.jpg

First stage was to cut the mk4 part into pieces

50601305128_8f59cc4897_w.jpg

I then stitched together the cup holder to the top of the climate using a soldering iron to plastic weld them

50602161102_db670544c5_w.jpg

Cut out the old ashtray and lighter and trimmed the edges to allow the mk4 plastic to fit onto it

50602160582_ae5415ae2e_w.jpg

50601303773_58f80e5003_w.jpg

Then stitched it all together

50602045131_72ea871008_w.jpg

and finished up with this

50601302543_6e994206a4_w.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

Got hold of the cup holder for the dash

50630228482_7b8c79c7c2.jpg

50629383223_db8a846aa0.jpg

Quite happy with how it looks

Edited by GrahamU

Well done mate, that is very impressive.  Keep pushing the boundaries.

What are your plans below the climatronic? 

And in other news

So much of what I am fitting needs the ABS, my first thought was to use an Arduino to replicate the CAN messages but decided that I could use a real one, well at least most of it as I dont want the full ABS fitted.

The EPB, DSG, ECM, gateway and cluster all need the CAN data from the ABS, and hopefully with the front wheel speed sensors fitted the milage will work for the cluster so I can feed that into the MoTeC display.

A little trip to my local breakers and I picked up the ECU from the ABS of a Passat that has the electric park brake. Stripped it from the hydraulic and grabbed the cable as well

Stripped it down to remove all the coils, put it back into its housing and put a back onto it.

Checked to make sure I have the data and its working 🙂

50630182052_6de903e754.jpg

50629338338_bf12796091.jpg

50630182292_82a6115b65.jpg

50630181812_c43602a427.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

And one final update today, because I have the BCM from the mk5 I am also fitting the stalks so I am now looking at the wiper motor which means I can also look at auto wipers with this little sensor 

50630187692_1e307fffb0.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

This weeks update

Not much done lately 😞

But have modified the steering column to allow me to fit the stalks from a Passat B6 saloon (no rear wiper on the saloon 😉 ) basically welded on a couple of plates that the stalks bolt onto

50661141513_01c8f39347.jpg

50661874296_a62f3376dd.jpg

50661873401_30fb37da0e.jpg

and tried is in the car

50661966277_d0ceba81d4.jpg

50661967042_9e553ce23c.jpg

Next stage is to wire in the steering control module

Edited by GrahamU

😂 mental and so impressive. Did you not fancy using the estate version? I keep looking at my passat b6 wondering what you would use next 

Amazing vision, but fabrication and electronic understanding need to be next level, which they absolutely are! I doff my hat to you Graham, fantastic work so far and the ultimate resto-mod transferring modern underpinnings to a classic shell. At my age, it's absolutely something I'd love to have - as the yanks say, a turn key classic. 👍

21 hours ago, Cressa said:

. Did you not fancy using the estate version?  

I have deleted the rear wiper so the saloon works better for what I need, there isn't the option to push the stalk back as you would with one that has the rear wiper 🙂

Thanks for the kind words, I just hope it all works in the end 😁

Couple of purchases this week, got one driveshaft from Epytec, has the spline for the dsg CV one end and the Corrado outer CV spline on the other end 🙂 this is from their 02M box setup

50710298923_e4f9909a1b.jpg

They dont have the short shaft because its shorter than the 02M version so I have a guy that can sort that, either that cut and weld 2 together or hopefully he will take the mk5 short shaft and machine the corrado spline on that

Also got these  from eBay

50711048456_f413a53563.jpg

With the change to the Passat stalks I need to have an alternative for the hazard switch and this from a T4 is just a touch smaller than the Corrado dash switches but will fit in one of the blank spaces, thought I'd use the single rear screen heater switch that came with it as it uses the same connector 🙂 

Edited by GrahamU