P3rks

Corrado's in the snow... How's yours drive?

So I had my first experience in the snow with the VR. I found it pretty pants to be honest.

I know the 205 tyres wont help but I found one wheel spinning when trying to set off all the time. Maybe the traction control kicking in? Who knows?

So, how's everyone else's Corrado handle the snow?

didnt use it today, but last year it was fantastic. Trundled past all these new top end beemers and mercs spinning their rear wheels and getting nowhere fast, whilst my m-plate comfortably took me up the hill with a baking hot heater, and sunroof open!

Even on 16's with rubbish tyres I was astonished at how well my 16v coped in the heavy snow we had I think in 2009... I remember driving in along virtually untouched, thick snow covered roads and the car being very predictable and sure footed even on climbs. It was only defeated on one fairly steep hill when I had to back down and take another route. I remember getting to work and being one of the only people to have made it in, in my lowered sporty coupe! :)

My first Corrado, a G60 was undriveable, kept swapping ends! The VR6 was fine, wide tyres don't help but no real dramas. We have put snow tyres on our Lupo GTI this year, narrower and higher side wall. Went from 205/45/15 to 185/55/15........perhaps this is the best way with the corrado in the snow?

Think mine will be poor, also on 205's, but then with only about 3mm of tread too. just need my tyres to last another 6 - 8 weeks, so could really do without this weather right now.

Just wish everyone else would stay off the road, every year I get more nervous some other idiot will damage/write off my car in these conditions.

Mines awesome in the snow, even when i didnt have an lsd. Got to say it performs so much better than the beemers they were all over the news stuck in 2-3inches of snow

Zero problems in my VR6. Happily motored up the M1 to Nottingham on Saturday night. Changing lanes was occassionally skittish but keeping it steady was fine. Other people driving too slow and not leaving sufficient sliding distance were the only issues.

Epic on snow tyres. No issues at all, even with R32 bottom end torque.

But the MOT ran out yesterday, so I had to take the BMW in this morning, which is absolutely useless in snow!

The VR6 was fantastic last year on Speedlines and 195 tyres. Had no problems trundling up to the Snake Pass summit towards Glossop while countless new BMWs and Mercs were wheel-spinning sideways. Even had to stop on an incline when the car in front got stuck, but no issues at all moving off again and past the trouble spot.

Was going to get winter tyres for the speedlines this year but garaged the car instead.

The Audi has surprised me so far by being quite good in the snow - I came over from Manchester to Sheffield on Sunday morning with no problems, and it even coped getting up our street when I had seen lots of other cars fail. Or maybe it was because I attacked the hill with more balls than the other drivers.

Fine today, was mostly on cleared roads (and I spent a couple of hours yesterday digging the top of our road to clear the junction which helped!) but no real issues at all - went a bit sideways entering an uncleared side road a little hastily but it was a doddle to correct with a bit of opposite lock and swearing. Happily trundled a few hundred metres uphill on packed snow and it was totally fine. And it's an auto! I have got nearly-new Proxes 4s (195/45/16) on the front wheels which probably helps, they're supposed to be good in the wet.

Passed its MOT as well, it only cost me £40 and a box of chocolate biscuits :lol:

Stone

So I had my first experience in the snow with the VR. I found it pretty pants to be honest.

I know the 205 tyres wont help but I found one wheel spinning when trying to set off all the time. Maybe the traction control kicking in? Who knows?

So, how's everyone else's Corrado handle the snow?

One wheel spinning? Does your ABS work? At lower speeds, there's a diff thingy going on through the ABS which brakes the spinning wheel to bring it in-line with the other side, think it only work at low speeds tho. Make sure your tyres are pumped up too (yes, I know, everyone says let them down, but that's for sand and mud).

Mine was great on Toyo's, but awesome on WinterContacts. Would literally go anywhere, depth permitting.

Went to Bristol in it over the w.end. Performed faultlessly there and Back (Plymouth), and showed up the mk2 focus, and 3 series beamer that were trying to get up my sisters road on Sunday Morning! They were struggling to get up it, and as I came down and saw the ice, I thought "oh no, I'm gonna struggle getting back up". No such problems on my 205/50/15 budgets though, and left them merrily spinning away! :smug: