Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

Changes to the Corrado over the years

Hi All,

Someone was asking about the differences between early and late C's earlier (relating to the exhaust). I wrote this article for the sprinter many moons ago, not sure if it ever made it, but here it is for all to read now.

Cheers Andy

Andy,

Would you mind if I borrow that document to attach to the buyers guide?

(Good post btw)

I'm unable to download the link for some reason, it gets so far then keeps saying 'unable to load graphics conversion filter. Continue with document conversion?' Stupid computer, anyone know how I get round this? Ta

Here's the doc minus the pics

Corrado Cosmetic Surgery!!

No I’m not talking of silicon additions or removal of wrinkles here, I’m talking car facelift’s! The Corrado received a little bit of a facelift here and there over the years. Not all the modifications are as obvious as you would think. This is not an exhaustive list as I’m sure there are many hidden (lots of mechanical) updates that only a very thorough search of the VW archives would unveil. The dates for each change over are build dates (month end), not UK registration dates, remember that cars can be registered a significant time after they were built.

Body Changes

The end of August 1991 was a big change over time for the exterior of the Corrado. The new exterior started from chassis number 50-N-000 001 and included the following changes. All 1.8 16V’s were built before August 1991; The G60 was built until August 1992 so exist in both forms. The VR6. 2.0 16V and 2.0 8V were all built after this date so all have the new exterior.

Bonnet

The bonnet changed to allow the up and coming fitment of the tall VR6 engine. The bonnets have 2 creases running from the windscreen to the tip of the bonnet around 12” in from the wings, the area between the creases on the early bonnet is lower than the outer areas of the bonnet, this area is raised on the later models. All 1.8 16V’s have the early bonnet. The G60 had both fitted in its life. The VR6. 2.0 16V and 2.0 8V only had the later bonnet.

Grill

The early grill is a 7-slat grill and the later is a 3-s

lat grill. The later grill can be fitted to the early cars with some modifications to the mounting positions.

Headlamps

The headlamp lenses and the plastic outside trim ring were made larger to fill the gap between the wing and headlamp; you have to look closely to notice this. The rest of the lamp is the same, so early lamps can be fitted with later lenses and trim rings.

Bumpers

The moulding line around the top of the bumper was changed, on the early bumpers the line swept around and finished on the top surface of the bumper. The later version simply fades out at the same level as the rest of the line. The fog lamp and indicator recesses are modified on the front bumper.

Front Fog Lamps and Indicators

The early fog lamps and indicators are near vertical in relation to the ground and are set back slightly in the bumper. Later units are flush with the front of the bumper and are set at the same angle as the bumper face.

Rubber bump strips

The Corrado has rubber bump strips along the front wings, doors and rear wing. The later cars have slightly larger profile strips to stop the dreaded carpark denter!

Front Wings

The wings were made very slightly wider to accommodate the wider track of the VR6. This can only really be noticed if you park a late and early car next to each other.

Early Front End Late Front End

Those are the changes that were made to the exterior in August 1991, at the same time the petrol tank was changed in size from 55 to 70 litres, this decreased the boot depth slightly on the later cars. The exhaust also changed quite significantly, the new exhaust was suspended from the car using bar type hangers rather the earlier hook hangers, the exhaust was routed a little differently as well. The early and late exhaust is not exchangeable. I have fitted a VR6 Magnex exhaust to my 92 G60 with no modifications; even the bore is the same at the joint to the Cat pipe.

Interior Changes

In August 1992 the interior was given a makeover, this coincided with the demise of the G60 so all G60’s were built with the early interior. The VR6 and the 2.0 16V were launched in the spring/early summer of 1992, so there are a few of these early VR6 and 2.0 16V’s with the early interior around (not many). I believe all the 2.0 8V’s have the late interior. The new interior starts at chassis number 50-N-035 000.

Dashboard

The dashboard itself changed, the lines are slightly softer but the overall shape is the same. The heater controls were changed to three rotary knobs from the original slider type. The air vents are softer edged. The glove box lid and handle are again softer edged in form. The switches for lights and heated rear window etc were changed to a push type rather than the early rocker switches. The wiper and indicator stalks were changed to the MK3 Golf smooth edged type from the MK2 Golf sharp edged type. Finally the ashtray and cigarette lighter were changed.

Door Panels

The interior door panels were updated to reflect the changes to the Dashboard, the changes included new electric window switches in the door pockets rather than the quite awkward to use switches in the door panel. New door pockets to house the new switches and round speaker grills. New door release handles to replace the previous handles that started their life in Scirocco’s and different door locking pins with fancy knobbly bits on the end.

Seats

The seats changed subtly with the addition or a lower plastic cowl and a revision to the feel and look of the seat back release lever.

Early Interior Late interior

There were other changes that do not fit into the above time scales.

The instrument panel

The instrument panel changed a couple of times rather than just the once.

From 7/88 to 7/90 (up to chassis 50-L-035 000) the instruments were Analogue with white dial needles.

From 8/90 to 7/92 (from chassis 50-M-000 001 to 50-N-035 000) the instruments where Digital with white dial needles.

From 8/92 to 7/95 (from chassis 50-P-000 001)the instruments were Digital with red dial needles.

Sill Scuff plates

Bit of a strange one this, as it seems very inconstant. The sill scuff plates are mostly just plain plastic but for a short period (3/91 to 4/93 ) a plate with “Corrado” was fitted to some cars.

Front Spoiler

Anyone who has lowered their Corrado will know that the spoiler regularly touches down if you drive hard, well from 8/94 (from chassis no 50-S-000 001) a smaller spoiler was fitted, this is directly interchangeable with the early deep spoiler.

Door Handles

The door handles changed from 6/92 (from chassis no 50-N-015 171), a small lip around the lock in the door handle is the most notable change. But it goes a little deeper than that, the handles now include a switch in them for the central locking rather than using a switch in the actuator within the door. This makes the lock easier to operate with your key; I believe it also coincides with the door lock being able to close the sunroof as well as the windows.

Door Lock Cap

From 7/92 (from chassis no 50-N-020 001) a black cap was fitted over the door lock to cover up the lock in the door shut.

Badges

All G60’s and 1.8 16V’s colour coded Corrado badges and red G60 or 16V badges.

For the UK market there was a “supercharged” badge, this was meant to be fitted by the dealers before sale, but not all G60’s had them fitted by the dealers.

VR6 and 2.0 16V where fitted with the colour coded Corrado badges and red VR6 or 16V badges until around 7/93, after this date the badges where chrome.

The 2.0 8V only came with chrome badges, only Corrado was shown on the rear of the car.

Early Badges Late Badges

Steering Wheel

This seems a little unclear as people change steering wheels on their cars but from what I can work out the steering wheel changed from the 4 spoke design to the 3 spoke type from 8/91.

Immobiliser

A factory fitted immobiliser was fitted from 9/94 (from chassis number 50-S-000 718). The immobiliser is a passive type that senses that the right key is being used to start the car.

If you know of any other changes that happened, please give me a shout at mailto:[email protected]

It's not at all uncommon to find "hybrid" cars which mixed & matched old & new bits. Basically Karmann used up the old stocks of parts they had at the factory before going onto the new ones.

John

Not really.

There was a rather confused change-over period though in mid 1991 whrwe it was possible to get early interiors, bumpers and lights with late bonnets and wings.

BTW, why did you have the sunroof open on a trackday?

I wouldnt say it was confused, more progressive? they changed the bonnet/wings etc. to the new style first (for the VR6's) then cosmetically upgraded the interior later on.

Brooksy, before I bought my current car I test drove at K plate (or was it L?) G60 that had a late dashboard/doorcards! I wonder how few there are like that??

You missed one thing that I can see - the revised interior door handles, that house the mirror switch on the drivers side, eliminating the square buttoned passat item at the top of the 'early' doorcard.

I wouldnt say it was confused, more progressive? they changed the bonnet/wings etc. to the new style first (for the VR6's) then cosmetically upgraded the interior later on.

Brooksy, before I bought my current car I test drove at K plate (or was it L?) G60 that had a late dashboard/doorcards! I wonder how few there are like that??

You missed one thing that I can see - the revised interior door handles, that house the mirror switch on the drivers side, eliminating the square buttoned passat item at the top of the 'early' doorcard.

tbh.......going by the above guide and the fact that early rhd C VR's also had the early interior.....the "G60" you test drove has either been retro-fitted with the later dash/door cards or is a later interior facelifted C with a G60 transplant :?:

IT should really mention that the later heater vents are horizintal, whereas the early dash has vertical slots in the vents. that's usually an easy thing to look for to spot a late interior.

It's not at all uncommon to find "hybrid" cars which mixed & matched old & new bits. Basically Karmann used up the old stocks of parts they had at the factory before going onto the new ones.

John

Yeah I agree John....

My 93 reg in August 93 has the black plastic sill covers with 'Corrado' in them....

I also changed the door handles on my VR6 with ones from my old 16V (1991) and although I losed the 'lip' on outside the rest was same and I have retained sunroof / cl / window closure, etc....

and a couple of other things I have forgotten now :roll:

Apart from the early/late interior differences, I couldn't tell you what the cosmetic changes are! So long as it goes like stink and looks like a Corrado, that's all that matters!

tbh.......going by the above guide and the fact that early rhd C VR's also had the early interior.....the "G60" you test drove has either been retro-fitted with the later dash/door cards or is a later interior facelifted C with a G60 transplant :?:

Possible I guess, but it was an absolutely standard car apart from the wheels, all the interior was late spec and didn't look like it had been messed with in anyway. Engine bay looked very stock too, maybe it was built on the 'changeover period' ?

So why didn't I buy said car? Because the dodgy Clifford CAT1 shut the windows and locked me in the car on a scorching summer day, then sounded the alarm, I was trapped in the car for about 10 minutes while the seller found a battery for the spare alarm fob! :lol:

Or maybe the person who fitted the interia/dash just done a proper job so it looked As standard.

No point in fittin it, if u cant achieve this.

Ok, this is the closest I can find to a thread that answers my question....however I'm not quite there yet. The question is this:

Today I picked up a front panel for a Corrado at a scrapyard. However, from the colour of the panel I'd day it's from a late-ish car. I notice that when people advertise front panels for sale they often make the point about it being from an early or late car. Is it going to fit my 1990 1.8 16v if it's from a late car?

It looks pretty damn similar!

the panels are all interchangeable, but you may find that the locating holes for the radiator are in the wrong place (think it's only the one on the driver's side which is wrong, and I'm pretty sure it's only the VR6 which was the different panel... :| ) All you'll have to do is drill a hole for the bolt to go through if it hasn't got one already.... 8)