Crispy Squirrel

:( Head gasket gone. Sell for parts or fix ? need help please

SO I payed 1200.

MOT in 20 days.

Head gasket gone.

worth fixing?

Or sell on here/ as broken for parts ...

How much would i get if sold as 'for breaking'

the engine runs ok so I could sell as seen .... Thoughts ?

Need some serious advice guys... sad times.

A headgasket is in the region of 300 quid to get done assuming it didn't overheat.. if a £300 bill puts you off, then I don't think Corrado ownership is for you! There will be many more in that sort of price range in the future..

Get it fixed man FFS! Cant believe people break them for the sake of a few quid. Not having a go or anything buddy just hate to see good cars get broken for no real reason. have a go yourself, you'll learn stacks doing it.

Head gasket is not a hard fix if you're handy with some basic tools. Parts will be around £60 and as Jim said if it didn't overheat and you don't need the head skimming you can easily do it in a day.

First of all are you sure it's gone? lots of garages diagnose HG failure on VW's as they are unaware of the water / oil heat exchanger.

^^ I'll wait till i get the full diagnostics back tommorow and post in here, he quoted 600+my 200 body damage + two new front tires + mot next month

+ whatever else he finds. Thats not a couple of quid! I only paid 1200 !

Tyres don't really count as they're wear items...

No offence but you buy a 20 year old car for £1200, you have to expect a few things need doing!

Jeeez. As if people are considering breaking a car over a head gasket these days :( I paid 1.2k for mine. Head gasket had gone, needed new timing chains, heater matrix so if that's all that's wrong with yours get it fixed man :)

I've replaced alot on mine over the last 3 years. Want it as mint as possible, hopefully once it's on the road up keep will be fairly low cost wise!

600 quid for a headgasket job is a bit on the steep side!

Not to mention what a pain it is to break a car too, listing all the parts etc it'll take you months and in the mean time you'll spend the money on beer so at the end you'll have no money and no car at all. That's how i once read a how to breaking thread and it certainly made me think twice about ever doing it.

Get it fixed man FFS! Cant believe people break them for the sake of a few quid. Not having a go or anything buddy just hate to see good cars get broken for no real reason. have a go yourself, you'll learn stacks doing it.

agreed!!!. i hate seeing threads like this ,especialy when you see people breaking because of a few rust scabs or the paint aint perfect,

I only paid £500 for my VR and would pay to get the head gasket done without even thinking about it.

£600 !? Obviously priced it according to how much they didnt want to do it....

I have managed to spend that on mine and its been on axle stands for the last two months :bonk:

I am another vote for getting it fixed..

Edited by daleyboy

Have you given The Phirm a ring? They're London way and have a good reputation..

A headgasket is in the region of 300 quid to get done assuming it didn't overheat.. if a £300 bill puts you off, then I don't think Corrado ownership is for you! There will be many more in that sort of price range in the future..

this man speaks the truth!

I vote you get it fixed though mate, i only paid 1.7k for mine and head gasket went within a couple of weeks, i used to opportunity and thought F it and took it to stealth and spent over 3k giving the whole engine a go over. never regretted it since!

+ breaking it alot more hassle than you think, if your anything like myself and spend money as soon as you have it, then its a terrible idea, you will end up getting 10er here, 15 pound there, 5er here.. and ull just spend it as you have it, when u finely do sell al the bits, u will have already Fooked away the money and will have no car or money... imo FIX IT! to many rados are ending up in bits spread out all over the country or in scrap yards...

Thats not a couple of quid! I only paid 1200 !

If you only paid £20 for it, would you scrap it as soon as it needed a tank of fuel?!

What was paid for it shouldnt matter so long as it wasn't high end. I paid £550 for my valver, and the history was phenomenal. All that needed doing was a heater matrix, and the immobiliser packed in a month after I got it. As said, its far mote hassle than you'd think breaking it, and you can guarantee there will be tons of stuff you just wont shift cluttering the place up! If your confident enough, do it yourself for very little, or get a recommended garage to do it for whats actually not a great deal more. All the best.

In fact I have the Haynes manual for the same era Passat which covers the 9A engine so should detail the cam belt change process.. interested? :)

In fact I have the Haynes manual for the same era Passat which covers the 9A engine so should detail the cam belt change process.. interested? :)

How much of the 9A engine does it cover?

I have a 92 16V 2.0. Could use this

Not sure - I never read it :) Should be pretty comprehensive though.. it's a full Haynes manual!

How much of the 9A engine does it cover?

I have a 92 16V 2.0. Could use this

Pretty much all of it including the KE-Motronic system. I'd recommend it.

---------- Post added at 11:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

Totally agree with this. It sickens me that the 'throw away' society is quickly reducing the numbers of rare cars such as Corrados. I would definately recommend checking the oil cooler first before removing the head.

Guys - Go steady on this chap - Crispy Squirrel - I know many of you mean well and really do not want to see another Corrado broken for parts and put up a good reason for not doing so.

But, some of these posts have come across a bit harsh, some people would really struggle to find £300 and although I do not know if this is the case here, remember too - many of you probably bought cars too that you could ill afford to run at some point, but had to have the ownership, the love and desire too much.

Hopefully Crispy Squirrel has read these posts as true lovers of our cars, hence the hard push to encourage him to fix it rather than break it.

Hopefully he also had good news today and the situation not as bad as he originally was led to believe.

Guys - Go steady on this chap - Crispy Squirrel - I know many of you mean well and really do not want to see another Corrado broken for parts and put up a good reason for not doing so.

But, some of these posts have come across a bit harsh, some people would really struggle to find £300 and although I do not know if this is the case here, remember too - many of you probably bought cars too that you could ill afford to run at some point, but had to have the ownership, the love and desire too much.

Hopefully Crispy Squirrel has read these posts as true lovers of our cars, hence the hard push to encourage him to fix it rather than break it.

Hopefully he also had good news today and the situation not as bad as he originally was led to believe.

Crispy Squirrel, Wendy is correct, we don't like seeing Corrados broken, so if peoples responses seem a bit harsh this is why. If you felt able to carry out a repair yourself, I'm sure we all would offer plenty of advice to help you make a successful repair.