seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Well on one side it's a puppy so will be bought up with the kids, and I've not heard what has happened with the new born though. Has it been said the baby was mauled? It could be that the baby was smothered which is not unheard of, yet no less tragic obviously.

According to the "sun" today (pinch of salt ) the mother came out screaming the dog had ate her baby's head the police haven't confirmed how the baby died yet though so a bit early to say.

XL Leather colouring kit, small repair kit and care kit ordered from Furniture Clinic today, woop woop! Need to send up my headrest for colour match Monday but they say it should all be sent out within 24 hours of receiving it so hopefully with me by next weekend. Wiring and pipes all disconnected from the bay now so just exhaust and driveshafts tomorrow then it will be out. Pics to follow tomorrow. :cool:

Didn't quite go as planned today. The engine is out, but I unfortunately sheared a few studs from the headers to the downpipe. :( Everything else came out relatively simply. The hardest and longest part of the entire operation was mounting the engine on the bloody stand!

Now you see me.

20140222_141719_zpsscpqdaux.jpg

Now you don't!

20140222_145050_zpsuytznwru.jpg

A few others

20140222_145102_zpsd1ajcruk.jpg

20140222_172101_zpserwncskg.jpg

20140222_172107_zpsgamrkdzf.jpg

20140222_150132_zps3qkxsdbs.jpg

One other thing, it doesn't look good, but can anyone identify these parts that were bouncing about at the bottom of my gearbox bellhousing please.

20140222_153301_zps4cmggahz.jpg

Need a new front and rear engine mount I think, so may as well go the whole hog and get the lot. This is starting to get expensive..................:eek:

MMMM unfortunately I think chris is right Sean I am so glad I bought one with most of the big costing bit's already done. Don't let us put you off but mate you are doing a great job :thumbleft:

Cheers guys. I can imagine Chris. Just need to keep the final bill away from the missus! It's ok James, I won't be put off and I'll be back for National Day. I've done it before (albeit to a mk3 Golf GTI 8v) so I'm not overly phased by it. Need to start stripping the lump down a bit more and ordering a few more parts, then its a good clean of the bay and powdercoating a few parts before re-assembly. Job done!

Bellhousing debris look like bits of the clip that holds the thrust bearing release arm to the ball joint in the bellhousing

I aimed to pull my lump out and stick the 24v in and be done in a couple of weekends. Oh how it has gone so badly wrong!

Don't let that worry you though :cool:

I aimed to pull my lump out and stick the 24v in and be done in a couple of weekends. Oh how it has gone so badly wrong!

Don't let that worry you though :cool:

He He that's what I like about this forum so much support (maybe you are not as skilled as Sean Sean??) did I just type Sean twice? :rolleyes:

Haha, I'm not skilled in this area tbh, I just try to take plenty of pictures, label everything, and bag all bolts in labelled bags. Being meticulous pays off in the end. Obviously didn't anticipate this level of spending with regard to engine mounts and manifold etc, so it'll need an additional pay day to support it all! That said, I WILL make National Day so I plan to get it back in and running by mid April which gives me a couple of weeks contingency before taxing at the end of April/beginning of May. Clutch should be good as it was replaced less than 20k ago, and hopefully no horrors lurk behind the chain covers as they were replaced about 6k ago. I'll probably get a little ultrasonic cleaner for the injectors too for good measure, but apart from that its just consumables, gaskets and seals, re-wrap the looms and replace a few nuts and bolts. I've already got paint for the lump and plenty of cleaning gear so fingers crossed, I don't have any more surprises!

Bellhousing debris look like bits of the clip that holds the thrust bearing release arm to the ball joint in the bellhousing

IMAG0648_zps87c5a559.jpg

Ok had a quick look around the lump whilst on the stand today, and it looks like the HG has gone, but the other way. Not sure if I'm right, but looks like oil is seeping out between the head and block at the back. This will obviously set me back in time some, as if I replace the HG, the head will need a skim, and I may as well do stem seals, valve guides, tappets etc etc which will cost more and more. This has ****ed me off a bit, as I had the chance to buy a re-con VEGE head in December for £150 to my door like Ian did, but the missus vetoed it as it was so close to Xmas, and I didn't "really need it" :mad2: I'll have another look tomorrow and get some pics up, but a word of warning to others thinking of pulling their engine, when you think of how much money its going in to cost you, whatever number you pick off the top of your head, double it, then double that! This also means it will probably take much longer than previously thought, and I'm unlikely to make National Day. :sad:

Oh, I also need a front knock sensor too as that broken, and a crack pipe. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, my radiator, oil cooler, water pump, drive belt and some seals have arrived, and I got an email from Furniture Clinic to say the colour kit, repair kit, and care kit I ordered have been dispatched.

That's a bummer mate ,it's always the way , something comes up at a good price and you don't get it , a month later you need it ! . I have a crank sensor if you want it , no charge mate .

Rob

Oh Ball's Sean that's a bummer pal.When I was thinking about buying my Sierra I was told something similar "Whatever you pay for it make sure you have at least the same again to spend on it" I paid £5k for it at the time and in the end it stood me at £15k aw well it's only money plus it battered car's worth 4 times as much. You'll get there son don't let it get you down ;)

Thanks gents, really appreciate the offers too its an amazing gesture from both of you. Rob, its a knock sensor I need mate, the doughnut shaped one just above the crank sensor. Thanks very much though pal.

Ian, again thank you very much for the offer mate. I have to get all the seals around that area anyway so I'll just stick that on my list too mate. Its not too expensive so not a real problem. Thanks again though buddy.

James, its a ball ache, but I want it to be done properly. It's pointless doing a half arsed job that'll only need sorting a little further down the line. I really wanted to attend a few more shows/meets this year, but what will be will be. I'm very lucky to have a good warm workshop to use for the time being, so I'll make the most of it whilst I still can. I never bought the car to sell a short while later, I wanted it to be a keeper for a long time. I knew it needed work and I'm prepared to spend on it. I don't have a huge amount of disposable income (thanks to a hugely expensive wedding I'm still paying for, mortgage, kids etc etc....) but I have enough to get what is needed over a period of a few months.

I may now do what you are doing and keep it dormant for a little longer. I just don't want it to remain like this for who knows how long. That's when all the well intentioned projects end up on the scrap heap which I won't allow to happen. It was never mean't as a daily either, so I just need to get the motivation to get back on my bike! lol.

I kind of feel like I jinxed it!

You can blame me if it makes you feel any better!

Yeah you probably did Sean I'll blame you cos Sean is way too nice to :lol:

I kind of feel like I jinxed it!

You can blame me if it makes you feel any better!

I can't blame you mate. Although, I'll put you forward to the missus to blame, it may deflect some of her whining!!! lol

Well here are a few pics.

20140222_172101_zpserwncskg.jpg

Looking very grubby indeed!

20140226_122435_zpshoca6obp.jpg

What I have noticed though, is that I think it had been timed half a tooth out? Crank pulley and flywheel line up at the timing marks correct, but.........

With crank aligned.

20140227_122705_zpsuljuzjwm.jpg

With cams aligned.

20140226_151137_zpsdppevxoh.jpg

Here is where the oil appears to be seeping from the HG.

20140226_122408_zps0i9bus2n.jpg

Other phots.

20140226_124117_zps7fa1li3f.jpg

20140226_152917_zpsrghflunv.jpg

On the plus side, although the guy that wrote the invoice for the chains and tensioners etc replacement was illiterate as they come (and couldn't time it properly), at least genuine parts have been used and 8k later they still look like new! :cool: