ross k

would you consider a corrado a classic turned away at car show

hi guys just wondered what you thought on this situation i live around 5 mins from the darling buds classic car show i take my 1992 mini every year and have never had a problem this year the minis of the road so thought i would take my 1992 corrado got their the guy was rude to me and wouldnt let me in because my car wasnt a classic this annoyed me a bit as we all put time into our cars to keep them on the road and their were various other new cars their like minis mgs porsches a new subaru and loads of kit cars their was loads of room in the show so what do you guys think do you consider the corrado a classic especially now their getting rarer

And what was his interpetation of a classic ?

Personally I think the term "Classic" is banded about too often, when "Old car" would suffice. An alleggro is an old car but is it a classic ? Personally not, though I'm sure those at practical classics would disagree.

I'd be keen to hear from the organisers regarding entrance criteria. If for nothing more than curiosity.

I would consider the corrado a modern classic but not yet a true classic. That said, if there were kit cars and a modern subaru then I certainly would have expected the corrado to be let in.

Surely the fact it was on the front cover of practical classics (or whichever one it was) this month means that's it has now qualified?

I think it's definitely stepped into the realm of modern classic. However I could see if the car was perhaps not original and heavily modified that they might be a bit funny about letting it in... is the car relatively original or modified?

its lowered alloys exhaust but got a nice original leather interior etc so its not like its wearing a body kit or anything i reckon i got turned away because im only 20 and they thought i was a yob lol just annoyed me is all just spent six months getting it how it is just for some scout to tell me it cant come in

A “perfick” family day out in the Kent countryside with a warm, friendly atmosphere, featuring pre-1990 makes and models of classic vehicles with a dedicated “80’s zone” (pre-booked only).

Well based on the websites description of pre 1990 a 1992 car wouldn't qualify, however if they're letting in other newer cars I guess you have to put it down to experience and not bother going back next year! It's a shame really as it looks like funds go to local charities, but up to them i guess :shrug:

I would personally consider the Corrado a modern classic. It's certainly not a run of the mill daily anymore but don't think it has the right to 'classic car' status yet. I'd just about squeeze mk1 golfs & sciroccos into that category now as the first of the watercooled VWs. I'd also argue that even a late 2000 mini could still be classed as a classic as styling remained pretty much unchanged throughout the years. Who knows, feck em. :lol:

jobsworth on the gate I reckon. You could interpret the description from their website to fit... it's an 80s model, even if yours happens to have been made and registered in the early 90s... Shame, but I'm glad you hadn't travelled for hours to get there.

I agree with others that the Corrado is a modern classic, especially now there are so few about but a fair number of those are in the hands of enthusiasts.

yeh some good points their guys its the fact loads of kit cars were their that got me but still yeh not going back next year nice to get some opinions definatlly a modern classic and i agree not a full classic yet but just thought id give it a go with the rado as id had fun in the mini previously ow well

You should have arrived wearing a tweed jacket and Trilby, called the marshal 'my man' and nose in the air pootled on past regardless like you had just triumphed at Agincourt...this tactic would have got you a tick in his 'classic' box! What a wally..he probably drives an Allegro like you mentioned (which, even though my Grandad owned one, is a sack of ****)

I've been to two shows over the last 2 weekends up here and both had a class for post 1980. The bumf stated it was open to any vehicle up 1995, so by that criteria you should have been let in.

Could have been something to do with pre-booking or they have a different set of rules

or simply they were afraid of the competition...? 8)

better luck next time....

Fair enough Dave, always two sides to every story. I've given up my own time at various shows over the years and always seem to get 'volunteered' onto the gate, although I suspect thats something to do with being 6'3" and 17 stone ! :cool:

I'm sorry if I offended anyone I wrote the post a little annoyed .I feel it's great the show raises money for a worthy cause I felt the show was well organised and agree the massively high temperature didn't help anyone. I respect the rule that any cars after 90s can't come in (I should have read the website before going but having just turned up previously in my Mini thought it would be ok). but it annoyed me when I soar various minis mgs etc the same age as my corrado welcomed into the show just felt like the rule applied to some and not others I have had many good year's at the show In my Mini and thank you for that. Finally I totally agree my punctuation is terrible but how is it fair to judge me on that I spent two years restoring my Mini and six months on the corrado I love cars and work on them regularly so please don't just me because I have bad grammar.

First of all, perhaps your poster “ross k” could take a little refresher in the art of punctuation. A comment loses a lot of impact when the entire post consists of one continuous “text-speak” sentence with no breaks, etc. and speaks volumes about the sort of person who is posting.

I have to point out that we get this sort of thing every year. Invariably, someone, somewhere gets onto a forum after our show and starts spouting indignantly about their precious car being turned away.

It seems that these sort of folk think that rules are made for everyone else but them. I would like to point out that the age limits on the entries are there for a reason. We only have a finite amount of space and have to draw the line somewhere. If we allowed every Tom, Dick or Harry in with their later-model car, that they seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread, then we would rapidly run out of space.

I personally could well do without reading the rants of someone who wants to conjure up their own interpretation of the show entry rules and seems to think he deserves some sort of preferential treatment.

Hmmm, you hardly have a great attitude yourself. Firstly accusing our member of being an undesirable sort based on his writing style and then accusing people of being arrogant and misguided because they believe their car is a classic, which ought to be allowed in. I suspect the Marshall had an equally blunt attitude as yours, which is what perhaps angered him.

---------- Post added at 4:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:10 PM ----------

First of all, perhaps your poster “ross k” could take a little refresher in the art of punctuation. A comment loses a lot of impact when the entire post consists of one continuous “text-speak” sentence with no breaks, etc. and speaks volumes about the sort of person who is posting.

I have to point out that we get this sort of thing every year. Invariably, someone, somewhere gets onto a forum after our show and starts spouting indignantly about their precious car being turned away.

It seems that these sort of folk think that rules are made for everyone else but them. I would like to point out that the age limits on the entries are there for a reason. We only have a finite amount of space and have to draw the line somewhere. If we allowed every Tom, Dick or Harry in with their later-model car, that they seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread, then we would rapidly run out of space.

I personally could well do without reading the rants of someone who wants to conjure up their own interpretation of the show entry rules and seems to think he deserves some sort of preferential treatment.

Hmmm, you hardly have a great attitude yourself. Firstly accusing our member of being an undesirable sort based on his writing style and then accusing people of being arrogant and misguided because they believe their car is a classic, which ought to be allowed in. I suspect the Marshall had an equally blunt attitude as yours, which is what perhaps angered him.

Arduous conditions?! Give me a break, it's a British summers day! Try working in Afghanistan in that heat, then you'll know arduous!

I'm sorry if I offended anyone I wrote the post a little annoyed .I feel it's great the show raises money for a worthy cause I felt the show was well organised and agree the massively high temperature didn't help anyone. I respect the rule that any cars after 90s can't come in (I should have read the website before going but having just turned up previously in my Mini thought it would be ok). but it annoyed me when I soar various minis mgs etc the same age as my corrado welcomed into the show just felt like the rule applied to some and not others I have had many good year's at the show In my Mini and thank you for that. Finally I totally agree my punctuation is terrible but how is it fair to judge me on that I spent two years restoring my Mini and six months on the corrado I love cars and work on them regularly so please don't just me because I have bad grammar.

Didn't offend me mate, like I said, two sides to every story

And dont worry about shpelling and grammere....it a car forum, not GSCE english language! :cool:

I am involved with the Darling Buds Classic Car Show. This post is my own individual opinion and is not necessarily the policies of the show organisers.

I also feel that name-calling (“Little Hitler” and “Jobsworth“) is also singularly unimpressive and adds absolutely nothing to any valid points that may exist. In my opinion, our marshals did a quite outstanding job in extremely high temperatures and arduous conditions last Sunday and I feel this sort of derision is quite out of order. The sarcasm of BILLZEBUB is hardly worthy of comment.

I have to point out that we get this sort of thing every year. Invariably, someone, somewhere gets onto a forum after our show and starts spouting indignantly about their precious car being turned away. It seems that these sort of folk think that rules are made for everyone else but them. I would like to point out that the age limits on the entries are there for a reason. We only have a finite amount of space and have to draw the line somewhere. If we allowed every Tom, Dick or Harry in with their later-model car, that they seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread, then we would rapidly run out of space. Contrary to your poster’s opinion, there was NOT “loads of room in the show”. Due to the exceptionally good weather, the turn-out (both exhibitors and public) was exceptionally high and we had to make strenuous efforts to fit qualifying vehicles into the show field. Ross k‘s machine obviously did not come within our age rules as an individual entry (I suspect he may have seen some later vehicles as part of an allowed club-stand exhibit), and was therefore refused entry. I see no problem with this.

As another poster has pointed out, it IS a charity event, the entire proceeds being donated to the Kent Air Ambulance and Demelza House (a children’s hospice) and everyone involved (including myself) gives up their free time on that day and also for a good few hours prior to that in the preparation of such a large show. We are now in our eighteenth year, having made, to date, in excess of £70,000 for our charities. We all work our socks off to ensure it all goes smoothly in order to donate the large sums involved and, quite frankly, I personally could well do without reading the rants of someone who wants to conjure up their own interpretation of the show entry rules and seems to think he deserves some sort of preferential treatment.

Innevitibly putting yourself at the front of anything - in this case being involved with a public exhibition - will attract both positive and negative critisism. Nevertheless, we as car enthusiasts, are gratful that others give their time for such events. Whether that's right or wrong, if you feel sufficiently unhappy about reading others opinions on forums then perhaps it would be wise not to read others opinions on forums?

Out of interest were there similar age Mini's, MG's and a Subaru?

jobsworth on the gate I reckon. You could interpret the description from their website to fit... it's an 80s model, even if yours happens to have been made and registered in the early 90s... Shame, but I'm glad you hadn't travelled for hours to get there.

I agree with others that the Corrado is a modern classic, especially now there are so few about but a fair number of those are in the hands of enthusiasts.

Most definitely this.................... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I am involved with the Darling Buds Classic Car Show. This post is my own individual opinion and is not necessarily the policies of the show organisers.

I also feel that name-calling (“Little Hitler” and “Jobsworth“) is also singularly unimpressive and adds absolutely nothing to any valid points that may exist. In my opinion, our marshals did a quite outstanding job in extremely high temperatures and arduous conditions last Sunday and I feel this sort of derision is quite out of order. The sarcasm of BILLZEBUB is hardly worthy of comment.

I have to point out that we get this sort of thing every year. Invariably, someone, somewhere gets onto a forum after our show and starts spouting indignantly about their precious car being turned away. It seems that these sort of folk think that rules are made for everyone else but them. I would like to point out that the age limits on the entries are there for a reason. We only have a finite amount of space and have to draw the line somewhere. If we allowed every Tom, Dick or Harry in with their later-model car, that they seem to think is the best thing since sliced bread, then we would rapidly run out of space. Contrary to your poster’s opinion, there was NOT “loads of room in the show”. Due to the exceptionally good weather, the turn-out (both exhibitors and public) was exceptionally high and we had to make strenuous efforts to fit qualifying vehicles into the show field. Ross k‘s machine obviously did not come within our age rules as an individual entry (I suspect he may have seen some later vehicles as part of an allowed club-stand exhibit), and was therefore refused entry. I see no problem with this.

As another poster has pointed out, it IS a charity event, the entire proceeds being donated to the Kent Air Ambulance and Demelza House (a children’s hospice) and everyone involved (including myself) gives up their free time on that day and also for a good few hours prior to that in the preparation of such a large show. We are now in our eighteenth year, having made, to date, in excess of £70,000 for our charities. We all work our socks off to ensure it all goes smoothly in order to donate the large sums involved and, quite frankly, I personally could well do without reading the rants of someone who wants to conjure up their own interpretation of the show entry rules and seems to think he deserves some sort of preferential treatment.

Wow, how utterly shameful for the show to have you as a member/ambassador. Despite your disclaimer, by referencing yourself to the show you will inevitably give the impression that you are representing it. A simple 'rules are rules' explanation would have been sufficient to explain why the car was not allowed - I even did that myself quoting the websites 'pre 1990' rule.

Instead, you have chosen to come on here to make cheap shot judgments about a forum member based on their grammatical ability?! This also adds absolutely nothing to any valid points that may exist and does nothing to enhance the show. What were you expecting to gain from your ramblings? You are a true embarrassment and I hope the show finds out the damage you are doing to their profile.

Look's like you picked the wrong forum to try and belittle one of our member's. I'm sure other's will agree that your opinion mean's nada and to say that Ross k was ranting was a little wide of the mark. So if you don't mind keeping them to yourself I'm sure that would be the best course of action. :thumbleft:

Can sort of sympathise with the organiser´s comments, also re: punctuation, grammar (or lack of) and judging on type of person, in most instances the judgment is true, also judging by initial posting despite having known the rules. Find it fasvcinating how a forum beats the crap out of an innocent goodwill charitable event.

Wears flamesuit, and quite honestly doesn´t give a damn, as there will be loads of others quietly agreeing with me, but not risking to speak out.

Definitely an age thing.

Tempest

---------- Post added at 9:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:26 PM ----------

Can sort of sympathise with the organiser´s comments, also re: punctuation, grammar (or lack of) and judging on type of person, in most instances the judgment is true, also judging by initial posting despite having known the rules. Find it fasvcinating how a forum beats the crap out of an innocent goodwill charitable event.

Wears flamesuit, and quite honestly doesn´t give a damn, as there will be loads of others quietly agreeing with me, but not risking to speak out.

Definitely an age thing.

Tempest

Its not what you say that usually offends its how you say it ....... I'm sure if the OP had been turned down with respect and treated the way that most want to be treated then this thread would not even be here.

I do think its poor form to judge someone by their grammer (:shades:) though.

I think the OP has consequently reacted in a mature and positive way which I think he deserves respect for ...... unpunctuated or not !!