Jim

How many hours for engine swap?

My old VR seems to be getting more and more clattery and tired sounding.. I rebuild would be great but astronomical. I've been idly daydreaming about finding a nicer, newer, younger VR6 lump out of a Golf VR6 or just a healthier Corrado one - doing the swap is massively outside of my skillset but I just wondered, assuming I found a decent complete engine, what sort of time we'd be talking for a garage like Stealth to swap it out? A couple of days?

Jim, I promise you that swapping an engine over is not a difficult job at all. As long as you have the correct tools (and there is nothing too fancy that you need just a good range of tools) it can be done easily in one day. I'd be more than happy to help you to do it. It is very rewarding when you do it yourself, and most importantly, you know you've done it right!

Direct swap for another corrado engine mate? A driveway, a few of us on here, an engine hoist and a few hours.... done in a day I'd wager and I'm happy to be one to help.

Hmmm - good info :) And thanks for the offers of help!

So now just a question of keeping my eyes peeled for a decent VR6 lump!

A day tops, especially on the VR as there is the loom plug in place.

Its actually more hassle to swap the gearbox over hanging on the crane and I think its easier to remove the engine complete with gearbox.

tbh its the relative simplicity of the VR engine that keeps my interest. The newer cars are a complete minefield of sensors! You'll be able to comfortably do it in a day as mentioned above, assuming the engine you get is also sound. BUT, once the old one is out I guarantee you'll want to spruce up the bay before refitting, so allow more time!

As above. Its very easy to get carried away though with painting the engine up, replacing clutch, lightened flywheel, injectors, yada yada...... Again as mentioned though its a pretty simple job actually. I did it on my old mk3 golf and had absolutely no experience with cars AT ALL! Just be meticulous and make sure you label all electrical connectors, take tons of photos each step to refer back if you need to, and put all nuts and bolts in sandwich bags labelled exactly where they go and you won't go wrong. All I needed other than a basic tool kit was a set of spline bits for the driveshafts, and I hired an engine crane. Simples!

In terms of tarting up the engine bay, etc - given that I've quite happily written off the notion of using my car as a show car, etc I don't expect that's something I'd get too carried away with! I just want it to work. And not sound like a bag of nails :)

You can just take the front end off a wheel the engine out on a trolley jack if need be. Definitely worth having a couple of mates around to help- makes a tricky job pretty easy. Took the engine out of my last breaker on my own in around 4 hours. That included taking the gearbox off, although the front end had already been removed, which obviously made things so much easier. Worst parts are the manifold/downpipe and drive shafts.

Come on Jim, lets sort a corrado fixing day.... Might know where I can get you an engine.

Whoa - easy tiger :) The car is still running fine... this is only a bit of forward planning as she's just starting to sound a bit clattery! Not looking to do the work for a while yet! :)

Eeeeasy! You've built up enough contacts over the years to get this smashed out in a day no probs.

Chuck a new clutch in for peace of mind at the same time and you'll be good for years.

By my calculations £250 max for engine and clutch + BBQ & beers will see job jobbed.

Jim, let me know when you want to do it. I've already had the engine in and out of your car and would be happy to do it again. Might want to think about a few bits and pieces like engine and gearbox mounts while you're at it. Spend a gentle weekend doing it and it shouldn't be too bad.

Oh and come down to the farm and we can use the tractor for moving the engine in and out.

Cheers mate - you're a legend! :) Appreciate the offers of help and advice from folks - very, very cool indeed.

Hi Jim, I did mine over 2 weekends. Full front end off, engine out and all ancillary's stripped off in the first weekend.

Brought a few new seals, spark plugs and a few other bits and bobs and then everything back in the second weekend.

I agree that a straight swap can be done in a day or a relaxed weekend with a few helping hands and the right tools.

Any excuse to get you bent over a corrado! Haha.

Pics needed for the 'show some love corradowales style' thread! That's not been bumped in years!!

"First we sort your engine. Then I'm going to put you in this huge pile of poo..."

I agree that a straight swap can be done in a day or a relaxed weekend with a few helping hands and the right tools.

Toad loves getting his hands on the right tool :)