borachris

My final attempt to make a working car! 3.2 24v Rado

Well after not touching the car for ages today I decided enough was enough, tax is due at the end of the month and I just couldn't justify spending more money on a car that doesn't even work :(

Video

th_02D196C2-8773-425D-A6F7-DC0C9BC0FB3C.jpg

Oh yeah!!

Well after not touching the car for ages today I decided enough was enough, tax is due at the end of the month and I just couldn't justify spending more money on a car that doesn't even work :(

Video

th_02D196C2-8773-425D-A6F7-DC0C9BC0FB3C.jpg

Oh yeah!!

Sound's good though a little tractorish but I'm thinking that's due to an unfinished exhaust??

Cheers guys, yeah VERY relieved!

Yeah clumpy the idle was very rough, it's got no exhaust on, also the servo vac was sucking air in, tried it again with the vac line blocked and it sounded a lot better :)

It's been a total nightmare thanks to Mark from SWICT! I wouldn't recommend him to anyone to be brutally honest!

My (and the cars) hero of the day was Andrew Outhwaite from ACR near croft!

I thought that, your going to enjoy it an R32 engine is immense in a Corrado and the noise is heavenly :D

Cheers guys, yeah VERY relieved!

It's been a total nightmare thanks to Mark from SWICT! I wouldn't recommend him to anyone to be brutally honest!

That's interesting (and disappointing) to hear - i understood that he was THE wiring guru???

Meanwhile, glad you're making good progress.

I'll post a more in depth account when I'm not inebriated but, he lied to me, fobbed me off with lame excuses time and time again, and I'm a few hundred quid out of pocket because he's a waste of space!

Well still can't get her started, a little further on than we were previously but still no joy :(

So I bought a turbo to try and lighten my mood lol

0E2E041F-5CB5-46D0-A0EB-61C14DF2E983-207-0000000EB716E4D5_zpscc361f0e.jpg

B341CCB5-B73A-40C6-BF59-2DA9DD5AE80D-207-0000000EB04A302F_zps8cc37008.jpg

It's off a Scania truck, I believe AiResearch is an old subdivision of Garrett so quality should be a lot better than the cheapo GT35's I was looking at, and this was only a little bit more than an eBay Chinese special!

Not too sure on sizing tbh but I guess we'll see when it arrives!

Also bought a 44mm Tial external gate and a Forge DV from the classifieds on here.

Love the blower . You do realise thats off a 12 litre engine ( i thnik ) used to work for scania in leeds .

Awesome work! Can't beat the sound of a R32

It sounds a little better now than it did before lol

what was the reason that the engine wouldnt start ?

A couple of reasons, Mark at SWICT made a mess of the ECU, he left a checksum error that stopped the ECU from starting the engine, the ECU went back to SWICT and he failed to rectify the problem even after having the ECU back for over 2 weeks. When I got it back with the same issue I took it to John from BFT, he fixed the checksum error, only for the engine to start but cut out after only a second.

Love the blower . You do realise thats off a 12 litre engine ( i thnik ) used to work for scania in leeds .

TBH I wasn't sure what size engine it was off, and I realise its probably a bit big for what I want lol. Will just see how things pan out haha

So going back in time to the video in post #77. I bought a spare ECU from Ebay, Mark from SWICT wasn't interested in helping any further after ignoring several voicemails, I will call in when i'm passing one day to discuss this with him!

Andy Outhwaite from ACR in Croft de immo'd the new ECU and also had a look at the old one, needless to say he couldn't solve the corrupt immo file!

With the new ECU she was running like a bag of spanners on the standard map(vid in post 77), but thanks to Mr BFT, now with the rear lambdas deleted and a few other bits it actually sounds like it should, still without an exhaust though!

Ran for 5 minutes then I turned it off because I've not wired the fans up yet and surprise surprise it wouldn't start again!

Cheeky video

th_B89F7003-86DC-4785-B07B-77863B794536.jpg

Whilst poking around the bay making sure everything was tight the battery negative cable decided to fall apart then I snapped the chassis earth off while try to remove it! So I need to sort that out and see if that solves the starting issue.

AC8ADB04-78A4-4213-94E2-47382F179C7B_1.jpg

Few fault codes but nothing to worry about and John reckons he can hide them so they won't show up

218570B7-FA7B-4426-8BC9-634E03076678.jpg

DC8C6109-F64B-4EC5-84DF-8761BB0E356C.jpg

Picked up my TA koni's from Rays, had these for the mk2 and they've been hiding in his garage for the past few years, will be going to SP suspension for a full rebuild and then replacing the adjustable FK's

9383ED8F-5DB1-4113-8D8E-279B1B85EFC1.jpg

New oil cooler, thanks to Hofmiester :) and new braided lines instead of the ones that came with it as they were a bit short for where i decided to put it

D3FC3181-4F2D-42F1-9E7D-C5ACEEA19B36.jpg

8C714102-9A1F-469F-A16F-8D4534B19221.jpg

EE3568B1-9D11-4805-BB6E-C29A764A4FAE.jpg

I've mounted it vertically on the passenger side in front of the radiator, not ideal but it should be ok!

42 draft designs crack pipe which was a nightmare to fit after the engine had been stood without one for so long, had to get the dremel out and the KY jelly!

E66E85E9-F3BA-4262-9E32-396975120119.jpg

Also my new supersize DV arrived, shown next to a 007p for comparison

0430112B-4147-42A4-9E19-DF44F9050594.jpg

Will update again when I've sorted the wiring issue but I'm happy enough for now, it's the furthest I've got out of the last 3 projects lol

Edited by borachris

That rad support skirt look like it's in dire need of blasting and coating. Well worth getting done and probably far cheaper than you might think. I got mine along with cross member, rad fan shroud, bonnet prop, and all engine bay brackets blasted and nylon coated for £100. Would have been £60 for standard powder coat. :cool:

That rad support skirt look like it's in dire need of blasting and coating. Well worth getting done and probably far cheaper than you might think. I got mine along with cross member, rad fan shroud, bonnet prop, and all engine bay brackets blasted and nylon coated for £100. Would have been £60 for standard powder coat. :cool:

Hahaha believe me Sean it's well past that stage, it looks like it's been parked in the sea for most of its life, I have a much better condition one that will be getting some love before it goes on but tbh I don't care about anything other than that first drive at the moment lol

I'm also undecided if I'm going to keep the car long term or find a better example :)

Originally had the cooler on mine the same way

Nice work buddy

Cheers Fuzz, any reason for you changing yours? I've got the inlet on the bottom at the minute, just going off advice I read on a rally car forum as I wasn't totally sure what was best!

Just fitment of the charge cooler rad mate thats all. It fitted and worked fine in the vertical

This is a really interesting read. Thanks for posting so much. Looking forward to further news from you mate.

This is a really interesting read. Thanks for posting so much. Looking forward to further news from you mate.

Cheers, planning on something similar yourself?

Well, an Engine swap has crossed my mind more than once but i'm leaning more toward diesel. Just now i'm reading up what I can find to get a feel for what would be involved in the project, the problems and pitfalls, before I dive in to anything. I'd say I was pretty technically minded but this would be totally different to anything i've done before.

Glad to see some progress is being made!

Maybe his apprentice did it? He is raved about on club gti.

I've seen some truly awful work from companies that get raved about on forums!