Bs6VR6

Struggling starting this build thread??

Hello all,

I am well aware that this is probably in the wrong place but wanted to put it where it would be seen, and after i've sorted out why I'm such a computer cretin I can just change the title and make it my build thread.

Basically long story short, finally secured a workshop about three weeks ago to start my rebuild so I have had a very productive few weeks sinse. Have photographed every step so far but am struggling to upload them to the site.

So, can someone help me with the following:-

1. How do i re-size photos as mine are all top big? Do I have to go to each one individually and go to edit and reduce size or is there a quicker easier way to do the lot.

2. Can I upload all the photos I want in one go and then attach writing under each one or do I have to upload each one, write about it, do the next etc.

Thats it really, any advise would be great. I'll be back on later, remoe this rubbish and get teh build thread started. Just off to buy a huge load of scotchbright and get keying, Andy that shell came out amazing, so straight, the only rust is that tiny dink on rear arch the rest is almost box fresh, well happy!!!!!

Cheers guys.

Photo bucket is the best way for me . I use a mac so may be different on a PC . Copy and paste onto the page and write under each one or a few then write , I'm sure you know what I mean .

Brilliant. That's all I needed to know thanks guys. I'll amend this thread this evening when I get in. Got 20 scotch bright pads so bodywork starts today. That feels like progress!

Thanks again.

Max,

just be careful of "VR6" and "JIM" they are like the forums mum and dad... i like to think VR6 is the receiver.... :fondle:

ha ha ha that has made my friday!!! funny as f***!!!!! :D

Lol, quality. Duly noted mate. I'll make sure I am end it later to avoid any groundings or loss of pocket money :-)

Thanks again.

just be careful of "VR6" and "JIM" they are like the forums mum and dad... i like to think VR6 is the receiver.... :fondle:

What have I told you before about annoying me? ;) :lol:

Lol, quality. Duly noted mate. I'll make sure I am end it later to avoid any groundings or loss of pocket money :-)

Thanks again.

What have I told you before about annoying me? ;) :lol:

As i was about to say, its not groundings or pocket money you have to watch out for, its user names...

sincerely,

EJ Taylor, aka HAND JOB CHARLIE

hahahaa :clap:

yep, i dont bother uploading anything on here now.. i have a facebook album only visable to me, upload direct to my phone from there then go through the pics, right click 'copy image location'  paste image url and the photo will be up. preview thread which will bring up inages, add text, job jobbed.

Yep - ditto for photobucket or similar. I tend to use imageshack (http://imageshack.us) for sticking my pictures on - dead easy - you just browse to your pics, upload them (and it asks if you want them resizing) then it spits out the code you need to use for putting on a forum post to embed the images :)

Right, I am currently in the process of uploading all 400 photos as we speak. Fear not, the vast majority are very tedious, and only done for my reference during the re-build. Ill give you guys the edited highlights ;-). Updates later!

Cheers,

Right, after much arsing about i have finally managed to get the photos to load, apologies for the quality there all taken on my iphone. I have to pop out now but will ammend thread with txt for each, just havent got time right now. Were getting there though.

So far the pictures you see are all within a three week period, the actual strip down of my original black one, and then swapping the two shells was all done in a week holiday I took from work. I had a bit of help in the evenings but work was largely done by myself, thus the use of two jacks to drop front subframe and rear beam. Very happy with progress so far. The new shell is in fantastic condition, a perfect base for the re-build. Currently using my new toys to clean and tidy the bay, which is proving to be a far bigger job than i had planned on.

Anyway, updates later, all for now.

ef67cfca-7220-4420-ac9c-cae98733b803_zps76c3d24c.jpg

b295c223-2f20-46b8-8b09-c6b06340a00b_zpse38efb1d.jpg

58747e7d-0817-44d8-b561-cbc235b2d841_zpsa43cc5df.jpg

851132d4-db37-4fa2-9be0-e8e74e372995_zpsadf70753.jpg

0491b2be-d788-4c74-b76d-2a3202aedd5e_zpsd418687c.jpg

f3f45fbd-c41d-476f-8c3f-6ddfd0475f2e_zpsd04a66e4.jpg

254faefb-ae30-4a01-9c45-386f27a63aba_zps97e9e0d7.jpg

84e92df5-f6f7-4283-b435-30d840989847_zps5d88cb3b.jpg

3dc91c9f-5454-48e9-808f-c2c8f63a4b30_zpsca7311fb.jpg

59a2c41b-9653-4820-a0e8-be090016a7fa_zps35ee1f6d.jpg

b12e9fef-5a8b-409e-a4bd-7b32e176e579_zpsc2280423.jpg

15fbc1af-554c-474b-ae57-10efa2f1a3d1_zps7c0a4b33.jpg

9923a149-90c3-4d9c-ab8d-7c78965a5551_zps1a77e29a.jpg

e39f2a3b-a531-4c38-b9d7-e556092ac3a3_zps686264d4.jpg

832f5ce6-d6bc-4620-8ace-aa015eab3cce_zps945357b3.jpg

6775d18c-1605-4aa5-ac01-3803911f2829_zpsa8aede39.jpg

ed0495fa-8ed7-4e84-8b12-ad4259e52566_zps8cccedb8.jpg

54485c54-36a2-487a-8223-bfea2279a124_zpsa884d60d.jpg

a765fc1c-260b-4817-b14f-f10639117308_zps5cddd373.jpg

6f08aa4b-4050-49d5-a513-d8c910ff31bd_zps68a28ac9.jpg

Edited by Bs6VR6

Wow, good work!

Like the shot of the money, who say corrado's just empty your pockets :lol:

Right then,

Been a bit quite, but been plenty of activity going on with the car. Basically, shell is now ready to paint, going to be matte black for a number of reasons, primarily cost, simply have a limited budget so have had to really think about where to spend the money and have basically decided to spend it on the engine, and running gear. I felt that it would be better to invest in the mechanicals and save up for a professional paint job in a year or so.

So with that in mind, I am sending all my front assembly, hubs, drive shafts, sub-frame etc off to be shot-blasted and painted in a couple of weeks, as said the shell has been keyed, and is ready to paint. I've cleaned the engine bay a little, removed a few bolts, clips and all of the seam sealant from turrets and inner wings, I left all of it on the firewall to engine joins, as these looked like water traps so thought it best to leave it in place. Its looking really clean, only been primed as yet.

Have purchased a set of 312 front brakes off a forum member, complete with callipers etc, look so much better than standard items, so they will be cleaned prior to fitment.

However the main development has been to do with the engine. I'm luck that one of my dads best friends is a bit of an engine wizard and owns a tuning garage in Yate (JPR Power) so the original plan was to get him to build up the current 2.8 vr6, we were going to bore it out to the original corrado 2.9 due to the cyclinder damage 5. it was to be a complete rebuild, everything lightened and balanced, gas flowe head the whole lot, however, a couple of things stopped this. Primarily Johns advice, after stripping the engine he believed that there was a inherent problem with the design of the VR6,(I will now try to relay his advice, or at least my understanding of it.) Essentially an exhaust port ran to close to one of the inlet ports which he said would create a sort of decreasing circle regarding power from the engine, namely, the more power you try to extract the hotter the head will get, increasing the likelihood of pinking thus forcing him to begin retarding the timing thus creating the circle, hope that made sense. He reckons running on Emerald KD6 the maximum he'd want to comfortably extract would be 220-230 before he hit a kinda wall. That said he is a bit of a perfectionist so he may just be worrying unnecessarily. But the end result of a long discussion was that for the money I'm far better off sourcing the newer 24v VR6 as he believes the newly designed head, has twin porting or something which he reckons has been done to cure the previous issues, among other things and thus allow far greater power.

Sooooooo, im heading up to north in about an hour for a joyous two and a half hour drive to collect my new lump. An Audi 3.2 24v, with 50k on it. Comes with all auxiliaries, so the plan is to fit this, running with the Emerald standalone, on the standard box. Currently on page 57 of the 'definitive 24v thread' reading up on any potential pitfalls, but from what I've read my main issues will be with fitment, as running the standalone system with its custom loom greatly increases the ease in getting the motor running....hopefully... wish me luck.

Will be uploading loads of photos later this evening, thanks for looking. Any advice is welcome.

Regards,

Max,

Sorry for taking so long to update, as promised pictures of the work done to clean up the engine bay and collection of the new engine.

4af67aa8-cea1-4552-a5ec-f684caec0daf_zpsae58aa3c.jpg

e49ebf4a-3641-4ac8-9f39-fddaea4b1e14_zpsd9f3000b.jpg

Just cleaned all brackets and bolts,cleaned lots of seem sealer, smoothed over rough sections, rivet marks, indents etc on the turret and inside of the wing. Its nothing crazy, just tidied up a bit.

And the engine, really happy with the condition, obviously no way of checking inside, but appears in great condition, came with all auxiliaries, only 50k.

51f514bf-54d0-441c-bade-c2e88290d9fe_zps447b7745.jpg

Quick question, after reading as much as I can on the swap it self am I correct in thinking if I fit an after market Mocal oil cooler, this negates the front mount clearance issue, only I have vibratech mounts and would love to be able to keep the front one. Thanks in advance.

Max,

IMG_0960_zps55641913.jpg

IMG_0967_zpsc776a7d3.jpg

IMG_0971_zps1b163207.jpg

IMG_0972_zps9cebd52a.jpg

IMG_0994_zps1145a2e4.jpg

IMG_1060_zps3f332358.jpg

IMG_1059_zps716e1ae1.jpg

Right, been a bloody age since I did any progress report on the car but as you lot have been so helpful and I'm feeling quite positive and motivated about the whole thing thought id put a few pics up. Apologies for the crap quality, camera phone.

Basically, sound deadening is now finished, got a little carried away, and ended up doing more than I originally planned but hoping the end result will be a far quiter cabin(although having read Kevs comments I am now slightly worried it may of been a lot of hassle and expense for not a lot of gain, but alas, its done now) almost 100% on floor, bulkhead, done the roof sections and behind rear quaters, as yet deciding how to tackle doors.

Rear beam all done, will post some pics up later but new powerflex bushes, all new copper brake lines front to back running through brake bias valve fixed to bulkhead in place of original ABS pump. new rear wheel bearings, top mounts, re-used my old coilovers, they were only a year old and loved how they felt, plus skint so needs must.

Fuel tank back on, new powdercoated straps(thanks vag-hag).

Tailgate back on, still got to re thread tailgate loom(I know I'm a prat for removing it, more speed, less haste and all that), most of teh interior looms are now in place just need testing, wrapping and then new carpet and seats can go back in.

Front subframe cleaned(wire brush and many hours) Painted, new wishbones, new everything, ball joints, track rods and ends, wheel bearings, top mounts, bearings the whole lot, all VW original(robbing *******s, lol)

Audi Lump mounted to box and fitted, driveshafts cleaned and painted and connected up, steering rack was painted, new boots fitted and back on, steering coloumn also now connected.

All Abs deleted, new mk2 servo(well breakers) but new 22mm master cylinder fitted

Sorry gotta head out, to be continued....

Edited by Bs6VR6