ok thread not intended to start a trip as such

but have always fancied it, never been, never known anyone who has. do any of you go or have been in the past? any advice, nurburgring on the way?

might try and organise something for 2015

any info or thoughts appreciated

I'm going next year for the first time. I've been wanting to go for years but never got round to it. Can't wait :)

Talk to StueyB, he went this year. I was planning on going for 2014 but I'll have to really push to get the C fully ready in time. Might take the Golf instead :)

Jamie did you go the week before or for the actual show? and stonejag whats your plans?

Haven't been yet mate - going next year the week before the show 17th- 25th May.

Went this year guys, brilliant trip.

Nearly killed myself resurrecting the Rado which had been off the road for 2 years.

We went to the 'ring on the way down. Can not recommend this place enough from a shear experience point of view.

BE PREPARED if you decided to drive round it. Can quite easily cut a trip very short and cost you a few pounds also.

We visited The Alpine Rollercoast on the way back, basically a single seater, old school, gravity rail rollercoaster down an Austrian Mountain side. Pretty ace.

Did 5 days around the Worthersee Lake staying in hotel accomodation in Maria Worth, flitting in and out of Velden and Klagenfurt for days/evening activities.

The lake is a beautiful, picturesque setting and during the week before the 'main' show, every other car is something interesting.

I'm not gunna lie, it's a shed load of driving/miles depending on how you do it. High chance you will have some form of problems on the trip depending on number of cars.

My advice, go equiped and expected at least one breakdown.

Most European Breakdown cover we had was next to useless when we attempted to use it. Taking out ADAC cover seemed to be the only way to reliably get a car all the way home in a worse case scenario.

A friend of the group made a short documentary about our 2013 roadtrip which I've been meaning to post for ages, not quite your average 'car show video' and well worth a watch:

Also after returning home, we found various 'Ring photographer sites which had captured shots of us doing a lap that day.

We'd all been round for a lap, could tell the story and generally enjoy the experience but I was left pretty speechless when I found the following:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]76653[/ATTACH]

Kinda made the whole trip along with the documentary, the months of slogging to get the car ready various trip 'incidents' not to mention the cost of both car & week away were all forgotten.

Great experience and would whole-heartily recommend to anyone considering a driving holiday.

That is a fantastic video. Are you friends professionals?

I'd be up for going in 2015.

daaaayum......stuey, ive been watching that vimeo clip over and over for the last month or so, and when you put one up I thought I hope it would be as good as the klub orly......it was sort of what I was basing a trip on!

so the video certainly had a positive effect on me dude.......looks like you all had a good time, was that your gearbox then?

Mic_VR: Fair few that went on the trip are or were techs by trade so combined knowledge was pretty extensive.

Basically left the box swap to my friends Drew & Dan who did the swap way quicker than I ever could however everyone on the trip pitched in in one way or another. Real team effort.

Loepan: I'm flattered mate, glad you enjoyed the vid.

Unfortunately, it was indeed my box that went. Not the cars finest hour but hey, all worked out in the end.

Just plan your trip well and allow plenty of time to get from point to point, that's my best advice. If we went again, I know for a fact this is what we'd do better....we basically did the return leg mostly in the dark in half the time we did to get down and it's was ALOT of high concentration driving.

i've been 3? times.. but not for a couple of years. closest i've got to the show itself is leaving the day of the show, so you get to see the stands etc fully set up.

i've also always flown, never quite got round to the whole driving experience. i'd imagine it would be epic, but even just walking around [and then being able to booze whenever you feel like it] is awesome.

maybe i'll drive next year, maybe im already too old.. we'll see :lol:

Hahahaha I've watched that video about a million times and it's the main thing that pushed me from talking about going to actually getting my arse in gear and finally sorting it out. Really, really well put together mate - it's quality :)

How do you go about joining ADAC Stu? The AA want £170 to upgrade my cover for a week!

Baron - I'm already waaaaayyy too old but if I don't do it now I never will...

Baron - I'm already waaaaayyy too old but if I don't do it now I never will...

ha! as long as you're young at heart.. :lol:

How do you go about joining ADAC Stu? The AA want £170 to upgrade my cover for a week!

try here.. :dance::dance::dance:

and stonejag whats your plans?

I have a shedload of stuff to do before the car's ready for a big trip (halfway through a head rebuild, then will be put back together with SP263 cams, a ceramic-coated Dubpower 6-branch, new chains and a higher-compression head gasket, and I may finish the cruise control install I've been putting off for ages) - plus the rolling repairs (currently having a set of coilovers rebuilt, plus the sump is weeping and I think a wheel bearing is dead). It also needs a respray before I'd really be comfortable exhibiting it, too much body damag e and rust to make the right impression. If it's not done in time then I've just reacquired a 1987 Mk1 Golf cabrio which is pretty tidy but I'd probably want a manual box in it for long-distance driving; three speeds isn't really enough on a 1.8 8v.

I'm pretty confident at German so I was mostly just going to book a hotel over the phone and then find some people to drive there in convoy with. Naïve? Maybe, but it's the fun way ;)

Stone

try here.. :dance::dance::dance:

Hahaha ya nob :lol:

Stonejag - naïve? Sounds very well thought out to me. My cars getting an oil change before I go and that's it! If it makes it it makes it, if not meh... As for planning the actual trip, we've booked our hotel and that's pretty much it. The ferry or trains gonna be booked just before we go when we're certain which cars will be ready and we'll find somewhere to stay on the way down on the night. Oh and no one who's going speaks a word of German. It's gonna be a nightmare but hopefully a fun one :lol: You and your German language skills are more than welcome to convoy down with us if you want :)

Heres a bit of inspiration a few pics of my mates mates car

Slammed on rota grid drifts with a straight pipe from the manni , no cats no mufflers , and custom bumpers with rivited on skirts and splitters

[ATTACH]76684[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76685[/ATTACH][ATTACH]76686[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76687[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]76688[/ATTACH]

what about 2014 ??

Already away that weekend next year. Hadn't really thought about going otherwise I wouldn't have booked anything.

Big forum trip in 2015 is the answer!

yeah that would do me 2015.....gives everyone enough time.....who's organising :agrue:

I'm now booked in to stay in the Seehotel Vinzenz 16th-19th May; figured the week before would be less rowdy ;) Gonna head out via Wolfsburg and back via the Nürburgring.

Taking the Golf as the Corrado won't be ready in time...crossing Europe with the top down will be nice!

Stone

have a good one stone jag, think im going to try and organise a trip with a few fellow dubbers for 2015.

I know there are web cams you can jump on and have a look around so will keep an eye out

if anyone on here is interested for 2015 drop me a pm and ill keep you updated, hopefully this years party go'ers can report back with some do's and donts

We're going 17-24th StoneJag. If you see us come and say hello :)

We're going 17-24th StoneJag. If you see us come and say hello :)

Where are you staying? Only going to be around the lake until Tuesday, then we're heading north towards Wolfsburg via Leipzig...we're at the Seehotel Vinzenz.

Few pictures to get everyone else in the mood :) Seen 7-8 Corrados but they tend to be moving too quickly to get good photos! Will be heading to Reifnitz and the Faaker See later so there will hopefully be a few more static. Apparently brown is in this year :scratch:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Having so much fun just cruising about looking at all the awesome. Shame I can't drink and drive though, the beer is really tasty!

Stone

More pics: [stupid arbitrary images-in-posts limit...]

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Golf's been behaving pretty well so far...totally fine on the autobahn but after a couple of hours at mid-throttle the cable is sticking, jamming the throttle linkage open so it won't fully close, which makes it quite exciting whenever you try to go through a town (hint: it revs at 3000rpm and it's an auto...) Other than that it's fine :lol: New gearbox fluid (again) when I get back!

Stone

Edited by Stonejag