Jim

Speedo Binnacle Covers - Group Buy Feeler - P12 - Prototypes fitted, all OK!

Well I fitted them today. To be honest they look OK though truthfully don't completely look OE. They'd certainly do the job of covering up the screw holes and would pass all but the most up close scrutiny (will stick up some pictures in a bit).

However my biggest concern is around the quality. Not only did I break my (perfectly fine) original ones removing them (sigh) these broke quite quickly too - the plastic doesn't seem as strong as the original VW stuff, and I'm actually convinced they broke during installation and not removal, meaning they could be pretty useless.

I'm just not happy taking peoples money off them if I feel they'll be disappointed, and certainly I was disappointed on the trial fitment. I don't necessarily blame the 3D printing company here, more VW for what is just a rubbish design - but I think with the 3D printed plastic being less strong and slightly more brittle than the original stuff I don't think the technology lends itself well to this kind of piece.

I'm starting to wonder perhaps if there might be any mileage instead of me asking VW Classic Parts about a run of these made actually from the factory moulds (if possible?) with the guarantee of an order of like 60 pairs. Not sure how many they'd have to make to make it a viable proposition for them.

I always thought the clips on the back are far too small making them prone to breaking...would vw classic parts actually be interested in making a batch? Suppose its worth asking

OK - bit of an update. Hope this will please some folks. Went back to the part remanufacturers with some ideas on improving the design of the clip. Let me show you some screenshots and I will explain the reasoning behind the tweaks. I'm interested to hear what people will feel!

binnacle1.PNG

binnacle2.PNG

binnacle3.PNG

So for those that know anything about the design of these, they are completely flush on the front (which makes them hard to remove from the surround when you need to remove them!) and also the clips / legs on the back are very thin and prone to breaking because of the amount of force required to remove them. Our design has tweaked them to:

* Add a small hole / cut out on the front which will mean you can insert a small screwdriver into them and remove them a bit easier, rather than prising them out against your dash plastic.

* Revised the design on the rear to make the 'protrusion' on the legs / clips a little more shallow but then extended the plastic the whole way round between the legs meaning that the whole thing should be a lot more solid and be more inclined to stay in the hole regardless of whether the little lips on the clips are present.

I've said I'm very keen on the design and will hopefully get sent another prototype pair to test soon. Pictures / thoughts to come whenever they do.

Are folks interested in these tweaked versions of the design? I know it's a tiny part but this feels very OEM+ to me :)

OK - bit of an update. Hope this will please some folks. Went back to the part remanufacturers with some ideas on improving the design of the clip. Let me show you some screenshots and I will explain the reasoning behind the tweaks. I'm interested to hear what people will feel!

binnacle1.PNG

binnacle2.PNG

binnacle3.PNG

So for those that know anything about the design of these, they are completely flush on the front (which makes them hard to remove from the surround when you need to remove them!) and also the clips / legs on the back are very thin and prone to breaking because of the amount of force required to remove them. Our design has tweaked them to:

* Add a small hole / cut out on the front which will mean you can insert a small screwdriver into them and remove them a bit easier, rather than prising them out against your dash plastic.

* Revised the design on the rear to make the 'protrusion' on the legs / clips a little more shallow but then extended the plastic the whole way round between the legs meaning that the whole thing should be a lot more solid and be more inclined to stay in the hole regardless of whether the little lips on the clips are present.

I've said I'm very keen on the design and will hopefully get sent another prototype pair to test soon. Pictures / thoughts to come whenever they do.

Are folks interested in these tweaked versions of the design? I know it's a tiny part but this feels very OEM+ to me :)

If it stops them from breaking, and easyer to remove when needed then I'm all for the mods.

Cheers for the positive feedback folks. Just hope the prototypes fit :) Will keep you all posted.

Yeah, I'm still in too. Nowt wrong with mine at the moment, but not had to take them off yet, so best be prepared.

Hi folks!

OK - well I got the prototypes through over a week ago. As per the CAD designs shown previously, these are a revised design that means they should be a lot less prone to breaking and be a lot easier to remove!

I was initially concerned as when I came to fit them, they didn't seem to want to stay in place however after a few minutes I found a particular way to insert them and now they fit in immediately without any issues and stay in place nicely, and are easy to remove as I hoped. Very pleased with how they've turned out. Please see the links below for pictures of them fitted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fJDWZF2UmyMlNuWm1kZkVWcFE/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fJDWZF2UmyVklEM2tJdjJYLVU/edit?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1fJDWZF2UmycnlncUNQMU9LY3c/edit?usp=sharing

The last shot is me just demonstrating the little hole for inserting a small screwdriver, to remove them :)

My only worry I guess is that I've only tried them on my car. The binnacle's can't really be 'different' in any sense so if it fits one Corrado it should fit all of them. I may try and get them on another Corrado just to be sure, then will look to firm up costs with the designers, and we should be in business.

Cheers.