Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Fish

Sliding Rear particularly under braking - why oh why?

Hi All,

When cornering, i have found the rear of my C slides like buggery rather than going in the direction i want it to.

In particular, when breaking and cornering right, the left rear feels like it is doing its own thing and trying to overtake the front end! It is not a fun experience.

I have no idea why it is doing this. A friend of mine said the rear of his C used to slide out a lot. Then it did and he wrote it off. This isnt normal is it????

I used to have a Rover 214sei and that cornered like on rails. My C is leagues behind it, which surely shouldnt be the case??

I have no idea what the problem is? Suspension, alignment, brakes??

Anybody got any ideas?

DF.

Is your car lowered? Did the rear brake load compensator valve get calibrated after the lowering?

The C shouldn't be tail happy at all, but you have to be aware that this is a *balanced* car. If you pile into a corner fast and expect it to go round corners while you're braking hard you should expect to wind up facing the wrong way...

Your Rover 214 would probably never lose it's back end, no matter how much provocation you gave it.

Checked the tyre pressures on my 1.8 16v.

Presuming the gauge works properly, the rears were 2.7 (bit high but okay yes?). Manual says about 2.3.

The fronts were about 4, as opposed to the manuals 2.7!!!!!

Overinflation wouldnt make the back step out though would it?

The condition of the tyres is good.

Overinflation usually results in less grip than normal, so no, I doubt that's your problem. (Bear in mind that if you have larger wheels than standard, you'll probably find that the tyre pressures from the book will be too low.)

get the brakes checked out at an mot station,ask them to put it on the rollers,perhaps ones not working or working to well

I thought about the brakes. If the right rear is rubbing or harder than the left, the left will go faster yes, thus sending it out.

I think the sensible thing since i am no mechanic, is to take it somewhere. It needs a proper seeing to anyway.

just wanted to add to the general consencus (if thats how you spell it)

I dont think your C should be tail happy either. Defo get it checked out. Im as puzzled as you are as to why it is doing that.

Good luck mate.

Does your C slide when you are cornering and at corner you release gas pedal or does it allso slide when cornering when accelerating?Meaning that when you corner at high speed and release the gas pedal your cars wheight moves to the front wheels and you will lose grip from rear wheels.

could also be caused by dead/dying rear axle bushes... :|

My VR6 was rather tail happy when the rear axle bushes were shot as was my mates 16 valver. Not a very nice job to do though. I had to take the complete back axle off to do mine but I think volkswagen have a special tool that presses them out with the axle attached if you can beg one from somewhere. 8)

What tyres have you got? I reckon it's them.

Even when my axle bushes were knackered, I never had a tail happiness.

I use expensive tyres though, so that's probably the reason why!

K

Maybe not the tyre pressures but thought I'd share this. I knew I was going to be doing a lot of motorway driving so I checked them at a garage I don't normally go to for air and they seemed very low so I filled them with more air til 36psi front and 32psi rear on the guage and the car was all over the lane on fast bends on the motorway. So I checked them with a footpump when I got home and the pressures were considerably overinflated! Moral of the story - don't trust every garage's airline.!

I had the same problem, turned out to be the rear springs (FK) were to hard.

Luckily the rear shocks have adjustable platforms using grooves and a circlip, so I now have the standard rear springs but the ride height is matched to the front.

I've not been sideways since.

Ok 2 things...

1 - don't brake mid corner, you'll end up in a ditch, (it's especially worse in a rear wheel drive car)

2 - never trust petrol station pressure gauges, they're always wrong.

You checked the suspension? When I bought mine the rear shocks had been uprated and the front were knackard standards. Could feel the difference when going over a speed bump and feeling the damping. The result was the back end sliding all over the place as you say. Changed the suspension for a complete kit and now only really get the back going round damp round abouts, otherwise mild understeer at speed. Never felt the braking problems though.

go buy a presure gauge from halfords for about 15 quid. keep it in the car and then when ever you pump up you can check them properly

also try differant pressures as if i set my tyres to the recommended pressure my car slides and i cant brake hard without it skidding, so run mine about 28 rear and 26 front

I have experienced the same thing. Mot said everything ok but when the rear end passes the driver window you know there is something wrong! I drive a 911 in the wet and have never had this happen(thank God). I have just changed the rear calipers as I think the problem is due to rusty rear discs and old calipers sticking on one side while cornering. I'll let you know if it works.

If the handbrake gets higher and higher before it bites then it is time to change the calipers. Less than £50 for refurbished ones, not bad :o)

charles

My VR used to have a tendancy to slide at the rear when pushed until I replaced the rear shocks and replaced the tyres (although these were just the better brand tyres that were on the front when I replaced the fronts with new rubber).

Mine is standard all round so may not be the same issue as yours but worth a mention.

The answer:

1. Find someone who knows about Corrado's (I chose John Mitchell 16VG60).

2. Get them to look at your car, and advise replacements.

3. Pay them to do it whilst you do things you are good at!

I changed:

Rear Bushes

Front and Rear Shocks and Springs (to Boge suspension kit)

Top Mounts and Bump Stops.

Other knackered suspension bits.

The car is completely different. Not only is it safe, and is also fun to drive!!!!!! Carazy! The kit also lowered the car slightly. I presume this will have helped slightly with the centre of gravity, but it also improved the look. It is a standard 1.8 16v with sebrings.

FYI John is a really nice guy and knows his stuff big time. He also has lots of cool toys only proper mechanics have - like the rear bushes tool thing. He comes recommended.

Moral of the story - Go get your bushes sorted, especially if they are originals like mine. And dont even bother trying this unless you know what you are doing. Stick to what you are good at and pay others to do what they are good at. A good mechanic like John will also advise you well about the general running and condition of your car. Service - that is what it is all about!!

Cheers guys

DF.