Roger Chatfield

The spoiler, actual aerodynamic aid or marketing ploy?

So, whilst I was at work the other day showing my colleagues the wonderful electric spoiler I got to thinking.... Does it actually do anything or was it just a marketing ploy?

When I had my CRX I remember a post on the forum about people removing the spoiler, some boffin piped up that whilst the spoiler did create some drag it actually moved the airflow join point (the point where air flowing under the car joins air flowing over the top of the car) further back and hence actually improved the aerodynamics by reducing turbulence close to the rear of the car.

I'm wondering what effect the spoiler on a Corrado has and why it was deemed necessary for it to be electric? I get a funny feeling it's more of a marketing ploy, after all no other massed produced cars have them.

Rog.

Try unplugging it and doing over 100mph... the rear feels like it lifts.

Having it coming up at 45mph is pointless though imo.

It'd be interesting to see the results in a wind tunnel! However, surely one of the best bits of a C is that it was the first production car to have a spoiler that rises? Then look at a list of those that followed, including the Veyron and (heaven forbid) that Crossfire hairdresser thing!

I think the early Audi TT's came without a spoiler and weren't to good at high speeds .

So much so that there were some nasty autobahn accidents which led to all Mk1 TT's being retro-fitted with them. Mind you Mk1 TT spoilers are fixed. It's only on Mk2 TT's that they are speed sensitive and rise at 74mph. There is a manual over-ride button as well so the cops don't automatically bust you:)

It'd be interesting to see the results in a wind tunnel! However, surely one of the best bits of a C is that it was the first production car to have a spoiler that rises? Then look at a list of those that followed, including the Veyron and (heaven forbid) that Crossfire hairdresser thing!

Surely 911's were the first. 993 Carrera's had them

Try unplugging it and doing over 100mph... the rear feels like it lifts.

Having it coming up at 45mph is pointless though imo.

Yep, I agree, iirc 60mph is about the point that aerodynamic drag becomes greater than road friction, I know it's more about downforce than reducing drag but I'd imagine you have to be doing over the national speed limit for much effect on the Corrado, it does feel bad if you lower the spoiler at high speed though, I tried the same years ago :)

My spoiler comes up at 60mph, it was posted on here in a earlier post that it came up at 45mph. Which one is correct? Spoiler then goes back down at around 10mph. Dunno if this is right?

I think the European version is set at 60mph. UK Was 45mph then 56mph in the later models. Mines a 1994 and it rises at 56mph.

Edit - Is your car an import? If not then they can be adjusted, I have seen guides posted online.

Edited by DPS

I have 2 corrados one comes up at 45 and the other at around 56 . I think the official speed was supposed to be around 70 mph but was changed so we can show off to people in lesser cars without breaking the speed limit lol

I like it when the spoiler rises as I overtake :D I've toyed with the idea of adding text to the panel on the number plate lights. So when it rises it becomes visible... "Goodbye" or "try harder" :dance: have crossed my mind along with some less subtle ones ;)

I think the European version is set at 60mph. UK Was 45mph then 56mph in the later models. Mines a 1994 and it rises at 56mph.

Edit - Is your car an import? If not then they can be adjusted, I have seen guides posted online.

My car is a 1995, and thinking about it will be almost 56 mph, only 4 mph off 60 anyway. it was the 45 mph that got me thinking.

Edit: DPS, thats a quality idea sticker under the spoiler they may be a market for such a thing.hmm.:thumbleft:

Edited by Ray1965

To be honest, any aerodynamic benefits are largely superfluous to the real point of the spoiler..every time I exceed the trigger speed it makes me smile, sometimes even chuckle! The fact it helps me to not crash hideously would just be an added bonus

I removed the resistors from my spoiler module so that it came up at 70mph, which is a bit more sensible.

So much so that there were some nasty autobahn accidents which led to all Mk1 TT's being retro-fitted with them. Mind you Mk1 TT spoilers are fixed. It's only on Mk2 TT's that they are speed sensitive and rise at 74mph.

That was more about shyte driving than a flaw with the car. The stick on rear wing was just for publicity. The actual fix was to introduce mechanical changes to make the car under steer, thereby reducing the possibility of dangerous over steer. As ever, the system has to intervene to save idiot human beings from themselves.

The changes were a skinny rear ARB, softer spring & damper rates and new front wishbones with bushes that 'give' during hard cornering.

Audi destroyed all the MK1 TT wishbones as part of the recall, hence why Defcon came along to make bushes to insert into MK2 wishbones (which take MK1 bushes) to remove the understeer for people who can actually drive a car properly.

Personally I thought it just made me a better driver when the spoiler raises.

I go from being Damon Hill to Ayrton Senna.

Are you sure you've got that statement the right way round ? :\

Awesome video! !

The lady's reaction as he drives by is how I imagine people react when I drive by ;)

I liked the bit when he rubbed the seat the best

I also never knew that if you kept the key turned in the door lock it put the windows up

You can also have some innocent fun if you use the spoiler switch when stationary at lights/junctions!