ChrisL

ChrisL's Classic Green Storm

is that all?

and is it factory place where that tool should be on?

thanks for pic seanl82

Edited by tomi

Yes thats it mate. I just pulled that pic from google, but thats where its mounted from the factory.

Had the old faithful toothbrush out giving the underneath a quick clean, not that it really needed it and quite amazing for a 19 year old car

before (just round the fuel lines really):

Before_zps639e440d.jpg

And afterwards:

After_zpsb6783ad8.jpg

And a general floor pan shot:

Floor2_zps512d4963.jpg

Also, my mates son is a sign writer so got some show plates made up:

photo23_zps431892cf.jpg

and fitted:

Picture26_zps79a6c4db.jpg

And first VW show with the storm at E38 this weekend resulted in this:

Picture25_zpsddf67747.jpg

The car won 'best standard' category at E38 2014, really pleased

I wasn't sure about edition38, i'd been about 8 years ago and wasn't impressed and thought it would be full of new cars on air. How wrong was I, it was a fantastic show, more mk1's, mk2's I'd seen anywhere and the standard was unreal(and that is an understatement). The dutch cars where something else completely with a crazy level of detail. The E38 crew where also spot on, didn't think they would give a standard corrado the time of day but they wanted to know all about it.

Couldnt recomend it enough and will be back next year!

Great result Sunday and totally agree the show was brilliant..

I like to think Mr Gaskell would have a grin and a raised eyebrow to see the old girl on stage at E38.

Look forward to your progress with this, a very tricky car to own. The balance of preservation against restoration will be a touch call but I'm sure you will find the balance..

Great result Sunday and totally agree the show was brilliant..

I like to think Mr Gaskell would have a grin and a raised eyebrow to see the old girl on stage at E38.

Look forward to your progress with this, a very tricky car to own. The balance of preservation against restoration will be a touch call but I'm sure you will find the balance..

Exactly that he would be happy its getting the appriciation it deserves

Had a good nosey around this at edition. It was as expected a really really great car. Congrats on the win. And you know that a car is super clean when you are looking through a thread and see a picture of fuel lines and go "oof thats clean" then scroll down and realise your looking at the before pic !!

Not updated this thread for a while but I've been doing bits on the car ready for next year.

The beam, exhaust and heat shields are all off and doing a bit of cleaning and refurbishing.

The heat sheilds have been pretty time consuming, I started with 2000grade dry, then same again wet, then onto 3000 grade paper and then a metal polish. I wasnt sure what the finish should be on the shields but finished with scotchbrite to put a bit of grain down.

Look pretty OE though:

IMG_1229_zpsdfb81013.jpg

Close up.

IMG_1230_zps8bb4b7cf.jpg

IMG_1242_zpsabc02283.jpg

I was in 2 minds with the beam because it was in amazing condition for its age but had a couple of marks that I wasnt happy with, so this has been painted (not powder coated):

IMG_1256_zps27a7d7f9.jpg

Brake back plates:

IMG_1268_zps46aeac7e.jpg

Suspension brackets:

IMG_1277_zps4a8d14ed.jpg

Amazing paint finish but.......... Its too shiney for OE so its gone back to be repainted again!

So just this to clean now, again not bad for its age.

IMG_1289_zps215ecf0f.jpg

So clean you could eat your dinner off of it . The beam looks great . Can't wait to send my last bits away to be done .

Sent off to be redone… attention to detail is ridiculous…

Not going to take a lot of work to make that underneath factory fresh...

Great work Chris, nice to see a painted finish as factory intended rather than powder coat, satin finish would be perfect. I can't wait to see this at Stanford Hall.

It's e coated from factory bruny. Still looks immense however it's done!!

Checked out the e coating but the guy's said its just a primer and would need overpainting anyway so had it all re-painted in a more satin finish. Happy now as i spent some time in my local VW dealers laid under a new Scirocco, the salesman thought I was nuts!!!

Anyway, little update. Cleaned all the floors now and its come up perfect

IMG_1382_zps8f51a9a5.jpg

Had a few parts plated ready for the rebuild.

Exhaust hangers

IMG_1390_zpsd0b5ae51.jpg

IMG_1391_zps749720ae.jpg

heat shield clips, hanger bolts and a few more bits plated yellow:

IMG_1393_zps5d53fe9b.jpg

More updates soon.

Looking good! Are you doing the handbrake guide tubes that go through to the cabin? They are fairly easy to get out.

VW (and every other oem) use plain ecoat on most steel pressed/fabricated parts, and will have a minimum salt spray hours durability. Wishbones, sump, rear beam, cross member etc are all plain e coat, no paint. I'm not criticising your choice though, paint will last much longer!!

I would like to do the handbrake guides but didn't want to have to strip all the interior out. How do they come out please?