Jim Bowen

Black interior light unit

Been watching these on ebay, bidded on the first one and it went way above what i expected. I keep seeing them listed by the same ebayer, just checked his feedback and he has made a few hundred from selling them :!

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=yorkshiredubber&&_trksid=p2047675.l2560&rt=nc&iid=131379236784&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Are they that rare?

Have only ever seen the off white/grey ones, I wonder which vehicle they are from?

As you say Jim he's certainly made a fair bit selling them over the past year or so!

Ian.

Available new from Classic parts via VW heritage for £29. Seem to be a lot of folk buying corrado stock and selling it on for a profit through eBay lately.

Edit: not sure if heritage one is right, doesn't have sunroof switch. Worth checking part numbers though.

Edited by seanl82

I've never used my sunroof :lol: I'd weld it up in an ideal world. Would make trimming the roof liner easier

or buy a non sunroof headlining ;)

I might have the roof lining done in a suede or leather, am looking into different sun visors, been thinking audi tt or R8, need to be slim ones. Not sure what to do with the switch yet, although am sure it wouldn't be too hard to fit something else and wire it up to suit.

Jim, I re-trimmed my headlineing about a year ago before she went into the garage, I just popped the clear light lens out of the surround and sprayed it black, you loose the little symbols admittedly but the end result looked very tidy, sprayed visors with vinyl paint and headlineing was done with black felt like fabric from a local haberdashery, whole lot, paint, cloth, glue probably cost me £20, end result was sooo much nicer than the horrid, marked grey original, will be putting it all back in once she is complete, up to you how far you go and how nice the fabric is, but it was cheap and looked good, another option for you.

Max,

I think that he's actually spraying them black with a special spray paint, some guy in America started doing it a few years ago, but vw black ones came on a few Mk3 GTi's I think.

I had my headliner done in Charcoal suede last year, this summer it started drooping because they just stuck it straight to the original liner and the contact adhesive attacks the old foam. So if you get it done make sure they take the old fabric and foam off first!

The mk3 guys seem to go crazy for a black interior light / sunroof switch combo but still ridiculous money for a trivial part. You'd have to keep pointing it out to people or hang a price tag from it to render it justifiable.

I might have the roof lining done in a suede or leather, am looking into different sun visors, been thinking audi tt or R8, need to be slim ones. Not sure what to do with the switch yet, although am sure it wouldn't be too hard to fit something else and wire it up to suit.

Are these visors a suitable direct swap? I recovered my rare :lol: non-sunroof headlining last year in a good quality black velour type material (was leftover at work) however my interior light and visors still being grey are a bit annoying, wasn't sure about the durability of spraying?

Are these visors a suitable direct swap? I recovered my rare :lol: non-sunroof headlining last year in a good quality black velour type material (was leftover at work) however my interior light and visors still being grey are a bit annoying, wasn't sure about the durability of spraying?

I'm not sure how they fit yet. I planned to buy some and find out :lol: corrados ones seem to go stiff.

What about the illumination of the switches kip?

Michael you lose the illumination unless you have a steady hand with a paper clip

What about the illumination of the switches kip?

I'm not entirely certain, but I believe the VW black ones were for the Mk3, and had a different sunroof switch in them like I this pic.

Some guy worked out how to spray the Corrado ones though and keep the illumination icons clear, like illfuzzer says, you may just need a steady hand! Looks to me though that he sprays a coat over after clearing the icons, cos they are all much greyer than the oem ones- you can see in the pics

f474f49ad82da7b30e490f090649a1bf.jpg5184c6e47fe7d2c692f543d221b64a36.jpg

Edited by KipVR

Bought a grey light unit off ebay for £8, might try and spray it, doesn't look easy though, would have to dismantle all the switches etc

those are real, i dealt with this guy several times and none of the lights was sprayed. but they all got different part numbers.

one was pulled off a seat, the other had a VW part number. i searched the i-net for many days with that PN's but havent had any luck at all...

j5ibrd7t.jpg