mic_VR

New Number plates

Hi All

Anyone got any recommendations for places to get new number plates? Pressed if possible.

Cheers

Hi All

Anyone got any recommendations for places to get new number plates? Pressed if possible.

Cheers

I got some nice pressed plates off ebay....doesn't help that I can't recall the seller

eBay for the win. No hassle with having to show proof of ownership of the car either in most cases.. not sure how they get away with it, but there you go!

Cheers guys. No idea why I didn't think about eBay.

Now what's the chance of me getting them for Friday?!

Reasonably good.. pretty sure I got some black pressed metal ones I ordered for my dads classic daimler within a day or two of ordering!

eBay for the win. No hassle with having to show proof of ownership of the car either in most cases.. not sure how they get away with it, but there you go!

I bought from eBay... The small print said made to the legal standard, but for show use only.

...that's how. They're technically not legal if you don't show your documents. Think you'd need a pretty anal MOT tester to check for not only the BS standard mark but also the maker's name and post code, and fail you if they couldn't find it, mind.

Every time this subject comes up on any forum there are always discussions about the legality of these and it always seems to be that metal plates aren't legal. Plenty of people run them though and it's down to the mood of whoever pulls you over as to whether they will do anything about it.

If they were legal, Halfords would sell them over the counter as they do like to find a way to separate a driver from their cash :-)

There are always mot testers who ignore it though. Same with adapters for wheels. Not mot legal but who actually knows anyone who has had an MOT refused because of it.

I've had them on for over a year now . Had plenty of old bill behind me , never been tugged because of them . Mot was fine too . I agree with what Sean said . I also thought it had something to do with the police on board computer not being able to read them ? .

All depends on whether your car was originally supplied with pressed plates. I looked into it a while ago. May have changed since but I think I recall it saying that if your car was pre 2001 and was originally supplied with press plates then they are fine. Think thats hence the grey area.

Maybe wrong but thats how I read it several years ago

The main issue with legality is how you buy them. In the uk it's quite a serious offence to sell or purchase number plates for the road wthout proof of id and vehicle ownership. If you have ever had your plates stolen or cloned then you will understand exactly why. For metal plates, in regatds to modern vehicles, are for commercial use only so you are liable to being fined 60 quid if your unfortunate enough to come across a police officer who is clued up on the subject. I ran metal plates for 5 years without a problem from Dubmeister, would never buy them off ebay though.

Ill get stoned for this no daubt but does anyone know about running tinted plates like you see at shows sometimes ? Ill go for illegal but do people still run them

Ill get stoned for this no daubt but does anyone know about running tinted plates like you see at shows sometimes ? Ill go for illegal but do people still run them

Which ones do you mean? The black & silver ones? You can only run those if your car is pre-1973. I ran them on an old golf mk2 I had but always had the originals in the car with the excuse I forgot to take them off after a show.

My plates should be on their way to me but I'll be getting some correct ones from Halfords if they either don't arrive in time or don't have all the appropriate legal marks.

I went to my local Auto factors for my plates Mic, They were a lot cheaper than Halfords and still seem perfect a year on. EU Linco. Not sure if they are around you or not?

Another note to point out will be that those selling plates illegally, the quality will likely be poor and not conform to anywhere near the standards required by BS and increase your chances of being stopped, especially at night when the reflective flaws are most noticeable. They are not tested by BS, the marking is an indication they have been manufactured to comply which in most cases do not.