delfinis38

Scuttle foliage seal

okay up date spoke to vw gaskets seals £6.21 + VAT

all trim clips obsolete.

can you fit a new gasket without the trim clips ?

Do you mean these bits?

2012-06-30133513.jpg

2012-06-30133447.jpg

There is only one clip for that, holds the plastic mesh bit on top, if yours is already fitted you should be able to reuse the clip.

Do you mean these bits?

2012-06-30133513.jpg

[

There is only one clip for that, holds the plastic mesh bit on top, if yours is already fitted you should be able to reuse the clip.

yup this gasket.... not too sure how to get the window trim off without breaking either the window or the trim.... it looks like its been taken off before to change a window as a few bits look broken... looks like its held down with a double sided foam pad. its a Pilkington screen so yes its been changed in the past.

Yep - bought that foam gasket for the foliage cover last year without any issues.

Yep - bought that foam gasket for the foliage cover last year without any issues.

cheers jim..... just ordered one. but the clips as suggested in wiki are obsolete....

for those thinking about doing this job only 9 gaskets left in VW warehouse now.

To be fair, of all the bits and pieces that have gone obsolete over the years, this will probably be one of the less difficult ones to duplicate when it does vanish :)

true... might look into it my mate owns a foam manufacturing business. will take a template before fitting it. if I can work out how... without any damage...

Edited by delfinis38

Put it on a piece of paper / card, draw around it inside and out... measure thickness.... job jobbed? :)

Put it on a piece of paper / card, draw around it inside and out... measure thickness.... job jobbed? :)

:) I meant fit the gasket without breaking the window or anything. not making a blue peter tenplate :)

Oh. I did mine without the need to remove any trim... just unclipped the plastic cover over it (where it's held down by the rubber strip / weather seal) further forward in the engine bay.. and was then able to reach into the scuttle area with a large screwdriver to undo the clip holding the foliage cover in place. It was a bit of a fiddle but totally do-able.

Oh. I did mine without the need to remove any trim... just unclipped the plastic cover over it (where it's held down by the rubber strip / weather seal) further forward in the engine bay.. and was then able to reach into the scuttle area with a large screwdriver to undo the clip holding the foliage cover in place. It was a bit of a fiddle but totally do-able.

was thinking this too... don't think I have a clip. does this clip fit over the 2 pegs one end and the single peg the other ?

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/image_hspic7.html

edit.. I don't have this clip its different... just 2 lugs driver wing side and a single one pass wing side.... may try an prize the plastic bit up later it looks a tight fit in the hole.

Edited by delfinis38

Yeah so on the single peg end there is a little clip that slides over to anchor it into place. So you need to use a big screwdriver to push the clip backwards then you can lift the cover up and off.

cheers jim... year mines like this one... but no clip so guess its just stuck down with gasket.... in that case I will just prise off and clean gasket up and re fit.

2012-06-30133513.jpg

I got trim clips from VW heritage about a year ago, I would need to dig out the part number but they did supply them through classic parts.

Dougie

Edited by corrado wannabe
Just realised you are not talking about the scuttle trim clips

I have one hanging around - never got the urge to fit it yet, but might someday. It's a Jetex one.

Am I right you can't fit one with air co...

Filters are obsolete, as are the only aftermarket ones which were the Jetex ones mentioned iirc.

If you're desparate, I've known some to cut up some cooker hood filters, and secure them with rubber bands. Nothing going that would look OE though unless you fancy getting creative with the hood filters and a glue gun? :shrug:

I've used a Jetex one years ago,now I have a cooker hood filter,which in my opinion fits better then a Jetex one,and I noticed no difference in air quality

I renewed that plastic bit and gaskets when i was removing the aircon. Some of the wiring had just been passed through the mesh.

2012-03-22134823.jpg

What the juddering f@ck. And to think that was probably a dealer / dealer sanctioned installation job as well.