Bomb-Doctor

Someone handy with Corrado Sunroof

When it's open , have a look a the moving parts , you will see if anything is broken . If not get some grease on it , I believe there is a proper can for this . Next I would replace the motor . Easy job . Have a look at the search , it will tell you all you need to know .

can of worms m8

there is a guide on here about stripping the sunroof motor & the fact that the bushes within it wear out & cause the motor not to function properly

sunroofs are a bit of a dark art - VW stopped producing the repair kit many of us could make use of & lots of people swap out the rado one for a moon roof from a Passat or others

my VR sunroof for example will sometimes work when I press the tilt button but sometimes not. plus if it doesn't respond to the button press i open up tilt manually, once it is mostly tilted the bl00dy thing works the rest of the way when the button is pressed - what the hell!? lol

this makes me think that the sliders etc & actual sunroof mechanism are ok, plus I know the sunroof buttons work - as they do work when they feel like it

which makes me think that it is either the slider mechanism is producing enough resistance to make the motor not work (I have read that the motors have a cut out function to stop them burning out) or the motor itself is playing up somehow

for the time being however I came up with an interim solution - I drilled a hole out of the plastic sunroof motor cover so I can always easily access the allen key winder

there is a thread on here about reproducing the sliders & the parts that tend to break but it may be a long term thing

I wonder if Heritage or Thursdave on here could pressure those responsible for classic part to make the repair kits again

When it's open , have a look a the moving parts , you will see if anything is broken . If not get some grease on it , I believe there is a proper can for this . Next I would replace the motor . Easy job . Have a look at the search , it will tell you all you need to know .

there is indeed a specific grease Rob - it is a silicone based one

I got mine from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-GREASE-silicone-grease-TRANSPARENT-FOR-SUNROOF-SEAT-GUIDE-HINGES-0-2lbs-/321873606650?hash=item4af12977fa

there is indeed a specific grease Rob - it is a silicone based one

I got mine from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILICONE-GREASE-silicone-grease-TRANSPARENT-FOR-SUNROOF-SEAT-GUIDE-HINGES-0-2lbs-/321873606650?hash=item4af12977fa

Used this on my moonroof to keep things moving freely. Cheap and effective. :thumbleft:

If anyone's interested, I have a late style sunroof motor and a the Passat one touch switch taking up space in my garage.

can of worms m8

there is a guide on here about stripping the sunroof motor & the fact that the bushes within it wear out & cause the motor not to function properly

sunroofs are a bit of a dark art - VW stopped producing the repair kit many of us could make use of & lots of people swap out the rado one for a moon roof from a Passat or others

my VR sunroof for example will sometimes work when I press the tilt button but sometimes not. plus if it doesn't respond to the button press i open up tilt manually, once it is mostly tilted the bl00dy thing works the rest of the way when the button is pressed - what the hell!? lol

this makes me think that the sliders etc & actual sunroof mechanism are ok, plus I know the sunroof buttons work - as they do work when they feel like it

which makes me think that it is either the slider mechanism is producing enough resistance to make the motor not work (I have read that the motors have a cut out function to stop them burning out) or the motor itself is playing up somehow

for the time being however I came up with an interim solution - I drilled a hole out of the plastic sunroof motor cover so I can always easily access the allen key winder

there is a thread on here about reproducing the sliders & the parts that tend to break but it may be a long term thing

I wonder if Heritage or Thursdave on here could pressure those responsible for classic part to make the repair kits again

Do you know where the motor refurb is - I have tried searching but cannot find it?

Thanks

There's lots of info on here. The grease is still available from VW - do a search on here and you will find the part#. The most common thing that happens is that the passenger side cable guide snaps off. You need to replace the cable then - the guide is attached to it. I had another thread on here (not sure who started it) with the part #s for the repair kit and guides as well. You might be pleasantly surprised and find that it's still available somewhere on the web with a judicious use of Google.

The motors rarely go faulty but replacements are easily found off a breaker if you need one, and they were used on plenty of other VAG cars as well.

The Bentley repair manual has a good sunroof section in it and I may also have a few PDFs I can send on if you PM me.

I've been told different re the motors and been told they do lose some torque and get weeker and I think there is a guide on how to replace the bushes - I wonder if a number of people have replaced whole sunroof when this is the fault - for example mine tilts and slides in all directions normally manually but the motor stutters and sticks - pretty sure I've heard a few on here saying the same - this would indicate motor to be at fault - GloucesterOx even changed my motor over for a spar he had and although it was better it was nit perfect - again indication that old motors may be failing.

Im not that handy but if I can locate the post on how to refurb the motor I am going to find someone to do so on my motor and see if this fixes it - hoping it does - and if not oh well onto the next things - I don't use my roof much but would like it to be functioning

I've been told different re the motors and been told they do lose some torque and get weeker and I think there is a guide on how to replace the bushes - I wonder if a number of people have replaced whole sunroof when this is the fault - for example mine tilts and slides in all directions normally manually but the motor stutters and sticks - pretty sure I've heard a few on here saying the same - this would indicate motor to be at fault - GloucesterOx even changed my motor over for a spar he had and although it was better it was nit perfect - again indication that old motors may be failing.

Im not that handy but if I can locate the post on how to refurb the motor I am going to find someone to do so on my motor and see if this fixes it - hoping it does - and if not oh well onto the next things - I don't use my roof much but would like it to be functioning

mine is the same as yours chuggs

the mechanism always works using the manual winder but often sticks when trying to use the button

but I know the button works as if I tilt manually most of the way & then try the button it springs to life & opens the remaining little bit - most annoying

as with you this makes my thoughts point towards the motor

however!!

I know that the guy I brought the VR off had a brand new sunroof cartridge installed not long before I brought the car off him. FYI ive looked at the plastic coating of the runner channel & they don't seem to have worn through very much like you normally see

plus, I am fairly sure it has had a replacement motor as the one that is currently in there has a small yellow painted dot on it. I believe breakers often put those dots on to identify they are a used part

the post I mentioned is this one m8 :D

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?87879-Sunroof-motor-brushes&highlight=sunroof+motor

In case anyones having trouble and needs a replacement motor, I have one for sale at the moment in Panjo (was working fine when removed to replace the roof with a carbon fibre one).

mine is the same as yours chuggs

the mechanism always works using the manual winder but often sticks when trying to use the button

but I know the button works as if I tilt manually most of the way & then try the button it springs to life & opens the remaining little bit - most annoying

as with you this makes my thoughts point towards the motor

however!!

I know that the guy I brought the VR off had a brand new sunroof cartridge installed not long before I brought the car off him. FYI ive looked at the plastic coating of the runner channel & they don't seem to have worn through very much like you normally see

plus, I am fairly sure it has had a replacement motor as the one that is currently in there has a small yellow painted dot on it. I believe breakers often put those dots on to identify they are a used part

the post I mentioned is this one m8 :D

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?87879-Sunroof-motor-brushes&highlight=sunroof+motor

Thanks Mate

Thanks Mate

no problem fella

I try to favourite a page when I read it & it sounds useful lol

oh & keep us posted if you try the fix or get someone to try it :)

You may just have masked the problem by fitting a slightly newer and stronger motor - if the mechanism is not lubricated regularly, the motor will start struggling with it as it starts to seize and something will eventually go snap. Conversely, if the mechanism is hard to move, you'll burn the motor out. It will usually always work on the allen key as you are turning it by hand and won't really notice the amount of force required to move it.

Edited by fendervg

You may just have masked the problem by fitting a slightly newer and stronger motor - if the mechanism is not lubricated regularly, the motor will start struggling with it as it's starts to seize and something will eventually go snap. Conversely, if the mechanism is hard to move, you'll burn the motor out. It will usually always work on the allen key as you are turning it by hand and won't really notice the amount of force required to move it.

So based on this... New or refurbished motor them decent lubrication.

I hope you got the sunroof sorted. My 2nd replacement sunroof was working ridiculously at times due to its own resistance in the mechanism. After stripping it down, fully degreasing, then refitting and lubricating using sunroof grease it is a totally different unit. Complete with a mk3 golf sunroof motor and all is going well so far. It was definitely the LH side which was struggling to slide, which on mine seems why this cable side may snap.

Thanks to some great advice on here, I will lubricate this annually.

Strangely enough I enjoyed the challenge of sorting the Damn thing.