Storm Guy

Replacement Fuel Pump - VR6, 2015 and onwards

I just checked and there is no UK stock... typical!  So many people list the application incorrectly, some even clearly state the 4 Bar unit is replaced by the 3 Bar and we all know that makes them run lean. VW Classic have them genuine at €425 😲 I can possible get Huco for around £90 but it would take a few weeks and you know who in Berlin are cheaper

undefined

If you dont want the stock version vince was fitting walbro ones from memory (pretty cheap ) for several years I believe- when tps stop supplying them he assumed they were obsolete in till i rocked in with one a few years back that I ordered from autodoc for £180 from memory. 

It's proving difficult to find the right pump, bought a VDO recently but the case was cracked so sent it back. The last one bought from Merlin Motorsport died within 6 months due to water in the fuel, my fault for running with old fuel. Not actually running, just in and out the garage while I worked on it. Back to square 1.

So today I received the VDO pump I ordered on eBay. The box is a VDO box but it was also not factory sealed and the plastic bag is looking too small. But what worries me the most is that the pump has ZERO markings on it, not a VDO engraved or part number or anything else. I find this weird and suspicious. I hope I'm wrong! 

Any of you has one on hand and can confirm this is correct or not? 

IMG_20230125_105153021_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_105148571_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_105144674_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_105134771.jpg

I've got my VDO pump off, I'll go check the body for any markings.

I bought a new VDO pump a few months back and it had cracks where the screws are, see photo. I sent it back but wish I'd kept it now.

20220822_211818.jpg

Edited by daves16v

1 minute ago, daves16v said:

I bought a new VDO pump a few months back and it had cracks where the screws are, see photo. I sent it back but wish I'd kept it now.

Thank you SO MUCH! 

It was very expensive and I want to be sure... 

Just checked, no markings on the body but I've no idea if it is the original, car has 133k miles.

• Thanks 1

Well while not definite it's encouraging that yours have no markings as well... Maybe someone else will confirm this 100%. Thank you very much for checking this out, really appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, daves16v said:

20220822_211818.jpg

This is off vw classics website- is your casing a different pattern if so fake.   Also off autodoc 

thumb?id=1737314&m=0&n=0&lng=en&ccf=9407

Fuel pump for VW Golf Mk2/Mk3

Edited by Keyo

The pattern on the swirl pot (the horizontal grooves) seems to be the same. 

The black  rubber part though on the VW one, the right side looks straight, the left is wavy. On mine, both sides are wavy. Maybe it's shadows though? I would like to be 100%, this was pricey! 

It would be easy for someone to buy it, return it with cheap aftermarket replacement instead, especially if there's no writing on it. If the box was not opened, I would not think this way but it was so... Just weird for a company to make a product without any stamps no? I get that they can't slap a sticker on a swirl pot but nothing engraved tough... 

IMG_20230125_134015115.jpg

57 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

The pattern on the swirl pot (the horizontal grooves) seems to be the same. 

The black  rubber part though on the VW one, the right side looks straight, the left is wavy. On mine, both sides are wavy. Maybe it's shadows though? I would like to be 100%, this was pricey! 

It would be easy for someone to buy it, return it with cheap aftermarket replacement instead, especially if there's no writing on it. If the box was not opened, I would not think this way but it was so... Just weird for a company to make a product without any stamps no? I get that they can't slap a sticker on a swirl pot but nothing engraved tough... 

IMG_20230125_134015115.jpg

I got mine from auto doc but now in my old car sold and the used one I sold . Might see if I can find pictures of the used one . 

Thank you very much for the pictures, really appreciate it. This morning I was comparing and upon close look and with my glasses... I found cracks in it! So legit or not, I'm returning it! One crack is exactly like in the above picture, right by the screw. The other one is worse, the 90 where the hose connects is fissures 3/4 down. 

IMG_20230126_093727144.jpg

IMG_20230126_093715434.jpg

1 hour ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thank you very much for the pictures, really appreciate it. This morning I was comparing and upon close look and with my glasses... I found cracks in it! So legit or not, I'm returning it! One crack is exactly like in the above picture, right by the screw. The other one is worse, the 90 where the hose connects is fissures 3/4 down. 

IMG_20230126_093727144.jpg

IMG_20230126_093715434.jpg

Shocking. 

That is terrible.  Are you fitting a one way valve on the line as well as the new pump? Here are pics of my old pump that I changed last year. Which I assume was the original but not really any markings

20230126_200227.jpg

20230126_200307.jpg

20230126_200254.jpg

20230126_200314.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi,

My G60 pump is the same 4 bar VDO unit, , it was bought from a e-bay trader more than 10 yrs ago who sold dealers old stock etc, it was a Genuine VDO Unit, I didn't fit it for 10 years (!), and it had acquired a couple of tiny cracks, they had not been there when I looked at it a few years ago, so must be an plastic aging issue ( probably the same rubbish plastic used for the headlamp adjusting screws holder), no cracks around the fuel pipe junctions though, I will be taking it out again to redo the fuel hoses in tank, so will check again, may have to think about replacing it again!

Attached a couple of pics.

20210414_160121.jpg

20210414_160126.jpg

20210414_160135.jpg

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Cressa said:

That is terrible.  Are you fitting a one way valve on the line as well as the new pump? Here are pics of my old pump that I changed last year. Which I assume was the original but not really any markings

20230126_200227.jpg

20230126_200307.jpg

20230126_200254.jpg

20230126_200314.jpg

Thanks Cressa, yes terrible... I don't think the seller was aware of that, the more I read into it the more I'm starting to think that it's an aging issue. I'm trying to get my money back at this point... It also looks like no markings is just the way it is. It's a strange thing but it is what it is I guess, now I know. Thanks for looking at it and your time 

19 hours ago, twinbeltg60 said:

Hi,

My G60 pump is the same 4 bar VDO unit, , it was bought from a e-bay trader more than 10 yrs ago who sold dealers old stock etc, it was a Genuine VDO Unit, I didn't fit it for 10 years (!), and it had acquired a couple of tiny cracks, they had not been there when I looked at it a few years ago, so must be an plastic aging issue ( probably the same rubbish plastic used for the headlamp adjusting screws holder), no cracks around the fuel pipe junctions though, I will be taking it out again to redo the fuel hoses in tank, so will check again, may have to think about replacing it again!

Attached a couple of pics.

20210414_160121.jpg

20210414_160126.jpg

20210414_160135.jpg

Thank you for taking the time to look at it, much appreciated. You confirmed my thoughts, seems like an aging issue of the plastic and over time it develops cracks. I bet these are old, new but old... I wonder if the cracks around the screws which is a common place for cracks it looks like do really affect the pump? Cheers 

6 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Thank you for taking the time to look at it, much appreciated. You confirmed my thoughts, seems like an aging issue of the plastic and over time it develops cracks. I bet these are old, new but old... I wonder if the cracks around the screws which is a common place for cracks it looks like do really affect the pump? Cheers 

Hi,

The worry would be cracks around the Pump flange / spout, as you seem to have, if they are all the way through you will lose pressure, | suspect if they had been  in the tank environment the cracks wouldn't have appeared, but that's a big maybe.

I guess the pump supplied to you is NOS, not new production, I personally would return it and request a new unit, or money back and buy another manufacturer unit as suggested in this thread.

I was going to have  look at VDO Aftermarket parts to confirm they still manufacture these, but you have to be a Dealer / Workshop with an account to access this info, cannot register as a private individual it seems.

Good luck, I will follow this , as I may have to replace my cracked VDO unit also.!

Cheeers.

I'm in the process of being refunded, hopefully there's no hick ups. I think at this point knowing the issue with NOS pump, I would like to lay my eyes on the next one before buying. I always aim for OEM replacement but if VDO stopped making them a decade ago and it they all developed that issue, I may look at a different manufacturer. 

It's a maybe like you said but I kind of agree with that maybe. They are probably meant to be soaked / lubricated with gasoline. Air may deteriorate the kind of plastic they used. It's a maybe but it makes sense. 

Seems like a common issue to see cracks around the screws. The flange crack that mine has may have been by a drop too, that box was opened so... Anyways we'll never know and at this point I just want my money back. Cheers! 

On 2nd thoughts looking again at your pics, the fuel spout cracks are too wide to just be plastic deterioration, as you mentioned previously it looks like this has been dropped at some point, ie leverage has been applied.

1 hour ago, twinbeltg60 said:

On 2nd thoughts looking again at your pics, the fuel spout cracks are too wide to just be plastic deterioration, as you mentioned previously it looks like this has been dropped at some point, ie leverage has been applied.

For showing purposes, I did apply a little pressure on the spout when I snapped the picture. I need the seller to see what's going on... Without my glasses, I didn't see anything originally! Anyway, we'll never know what happened I guess. 

I think some of these can be new old stock that was manufactured quite a while ago - I can hardly see them making large runs of them new recently. I had one at one point where the nozzle broke clean off after test fitting a hose, not even tightened with clip or anything and had to get it replaced with another one.

8 hours ago, fendervg said:

I think some of these can be new old stock that was manufactured quite a while ago - I can hardly see them making large runs of them new recently. I had one at one point where the nozzle broke clean off after test fitting a hose, not even tightened with clip or anything and had to get it replaced with another one.

That's my conclusion as well... These are old, I'm not sure if VDO made them recently either... 

With your story, it confirms it. The nozzle and the screw areas are classics breaking point. You must have been surprised and very disappointed when that happened to you... 

I think in conclusion, I won't aim for r OEM replacement on that specific part, they didn't aged well.