robrado974

Door membrane pics .

Afternoon chaps. I have looked at the search but I gave up trying to find any pics. Could someone post up a pic of their membrane please . I've got to do mine again as it's leaking , I need to look at one that's done properly , how are the electrics covered and how they are sealed when poking through it . Mine leaks at the bottom when I jet wash the car but not when it's heavy rain . I used the butyl tape too.

Many thanks

Rob

I made some separate sheets for mine Rob rather than one large sheet. I put the butyl tape around each opening and then stuck the vapour barrier from the bottom up. Some pics in my thread - i'll just check which page and post up a link

hope this works.... reminds me must put my door card back ...

electrics come out of pockets... apart from the speaker wire.

My membrane should go further to the back of door. Not sealed it after taking door handle out.

I'm going mad now what's the wire under my electric window switch ? Assuming the other black one is mirrors. Guess it could be origional speaker ?

Hope you sort your leak. Thought the sun always shone in deven.

Edited by delfinis38

Thanks for the info . Im so p++++d off right now !!!!. Ive just spent two hours carefully as Hasan said , covering all the holes with a seperate membrane first. Then another membrane to cover the whole skin . It still leaks wtf !!. Im very worried about the window scraper on the drivers side . I bought both sets a year ago . I was that worried about fitting them i got someone else to do the job . The passenger side is tight , the drivers side has a gap thats quite big at the door handle end . I dont understand how it can have a gap ?, its supposed to fit into a slot , you cant manipulate it to fit any other way . The glass was replaced at the same time along with the rollers , as it was badly scratched. Is there a difference in glass in early and late types ?, im just thinking maybe ive not got the right window thus having a gap .

sorry to hear that Rob. It seems then that perhaps its not the membrane? My leak came from a point about midway across the top of the door frame. I was looking for something to put inside the door seal to 'puff' it out a bit more so that it would seal better when compressed. I ended up running a piece of neoprene draught excluder around the frame to seal it. Maybe pull the door lock pin inwards a few mm?

Rob, do the water test with the door card off. Put some talc around the door shuts and those bits on the door itself too as it may help identify exactly where the water is tracking.

Have you checked the drains are clear in the bottom of the door ?

If you did them the same as delfinis38 the membranes should never leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Hasan, it's coming through the hole where the pump is. I think that although the window scraper is designed not to be completely water tight the gap is that big that the membrane can't cope with the volume of water coming in . All I'm doing is using a watering can to pour water on the glass .

Edit , yes dragon , the drainage holes are clear .

Rob, do the water test with the door card off. Put some talc around the door shuts and those bits on the door itself too as it may help identify exactly where the water is tracking.

I don't need to do that Sean I can see it leaking . It's literally splashing on the inside of the door . I've sealed the butyl tape tight too , how can it run past it ??!!.

Can you see it running down the membrane? If not it's likely coming through the join in the door aperture seal.

I can see it on the membrane Sean . I thought the Butyl tape was suitable ?. If its running past it , it cant be that waterproof . The metal frame work and guides for the window are dripping wet . This is all from me having the door open and pouring water on the glass like a shower. You can see the water hitting the membrane and seeping past it and dripping out .

Make sure you apply the tape/mastic stuff in the right place along the bottom of the door, there are small drain holes in the inner door skin and if you cover these with mastic or don't apply the mastic straight then water will sit in the membrane and find a way through often.

Yes there's one just above the bottom clip for the door card and I believe there are 2 more each side. I plugged mine with butyl tape. I'm sure you've got enough thickness of tape there but is there any folding of the vapour barrier? Might help to run a roller to ensure its sealed.

Ah right . Yes I've sealed these with butyl tape . I rang TPS this morning about the tape VW use and we both thought that the one I'm using is exactly the same .

I had a similar problem. I ended up using some dpc to channel the water so it didn't collect on the door membrane seal. I taped it on the outside of the door frame and tucked it through to the inside. Then sealed over the top of it. It has been fine since.

Yeah I see what you mean . I think tomorrow when I try again , I'm going to membrane in on the inside of the holes first , then on the face of the skin , then one over the top of the whole door .

Another hour wasted . I really can't see how I'm going wrong . I've pushed the butyl tape tight to the contours of the door and membraned the holes , then applied another membrane to the whole door , it still leaks . I don't know weather to try again or walk away !

Can you post a pic Rob? I had this problem before and new membrane sorted it right out.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Having a few problems with my Mac ATM . Can I post from a phone ? . Ive ripped off the third attempt and now using a butyl rope tape . I've membraned the gaps and so far no leaks , but I'm still wary of it .

Edit , just tested it again and it's leaking .

Can I just say when pealing this tape off its hard work , it sticks like s@@t to a blanket . Chris Fuzzer has sent me pics as well as Delfinis . I've copied them but it still leaks .

Edited by robrado974