robrado974

Replacing the window scraper dilema .

As some of you know ive had mega problems with water ingress lately . We have managed to cure this but the scraper has a big gap at the door handle end . I bought both sets just over a year ago , they were fitted by someone else as i was very wary of doing it myself , considering i had the supposed last full set . We had a look at the gap and decided that although its not designed to be water tight , it is designed to keep most of the water out of the door skin and what does get in comes out of the drain holes . It is letting in too much , which is why what ever we did to the membrane it could not control the amount coming in . Right, thanks to Dave VW , im in possession of a new scraper seal . I have two problems, one is removing the old / new one . When we were putting the interior back in one of the chaps from the body shop over the road tried to remove it with the plastic scraper type tools they use for this sort of job which vary in thickness,but it refused to budge . He didnt want to go to mad as the drivers side is obsolete and we all know once its bent , its useless. Has anyone else removed one without bending it ?, i know i have a new one but its a shame to ruin the other one because of that . The other problem i have is why is there a large gap ?, the car has never had a bang in the door . It can only fit in one place . Im a little worried and i dont want to start putting it in place , get to the end by the handle and have a gap again . Sorry its a bit long winded , but all the info helps you chaps to sort out my problem . As always i would be grateful of any help .

I watched a you tube clip recently of an American taking his off. Involved some pulling backwards and up. Try that search as it looked easy when you know what is supposed to do

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The best but long way of removing them is to remove the actual glass panel

From the door, a job within itself, thanks to the glass guide that's a bit

Of a bugger to slide back in. The actual weather strip is removed by unhooking it

From under the door frame, I find that a wallpaper scraper is great at starting the

First bit up. Remember that most have been on the car for more than 20 years

So it's gonna be a bit of a struggle.

Remember to try and unhook the trim bit all the way along its entire length, that's why it's

So much easier without the glass pane pushing against the trim.

HTH.

Mic , I presume it is , it was replaced as the original was scratched and the rollers were replaced too . But I'm not sure you can fit them back wrong ?

Cressa , thanks bud , I will check it out .

The best but long way of removing them is to remove the actual glass panel

From the door, a job within itself, thanks to the glass guide that's a bit

Of a bugger to slide back in. The actual weather strip is removed by unhooking it

From under the door frame, I find that a wallpaper scraper is great at starting the

First bit up. Remember that most have been on the car for more than 20 years

So it's gonna be a bit of a struggle.

Remember to try and unhook the trim bit all the way along its entire length, that's why it's

So much easier without the glass pane pushing against the trim.

HTH.

Thanks for the info , that's great .

I think the gap is just the way they are Rob. Mine is the same no accident damage either. Looks like its almost sorted ;)

I think the gap is just the way they are Rob. Mine is the same no accident damage either. Looks like its almost sorted ;)

The passenger side is nice and tight though Hasan . It will be a real pain when it's removed and there's nothing wrong with where it sits , but until its removed I will not know .

i had the same problem after i swopped doors a few years back with the gap near the handle end.

it was a bit crude but i "tweeked" the top of the guide rail that the window runs up and down in so it held the glass closer to the window scraper

i remember a large flat screwdriver being involved LOL

but looking at the diagram below perhaps the pop rivets could be drilled out and washer added behind maybe?

or maybe the guide thats glued to the glass has come off and/or been glued in the wrong place?

I don't know how to put a link in this, but it's on you tube

It still amazes me how easy he makes it look.

I'm going to reserve a Sunday for this job , I have a feeling the window is not right either . The drivers side has a lot of play when it's wound down .

When I had mine re sprayed a few years ago,I got them to put all new rubbers in,opening the windows would clear of all the outside condensation,brilliant !

Then after about a month,for no reason I can think off,a gap appeared in the drivers door/window !

Passenger side is still good after nearly five years,I do have one b/n drivers side seal in my spares pile,but wary of putting it in !

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thats interseting Dragon ,another problem i have is mine will not go down all the way either, it doesnt stick up by a lot but you can see it , its not flush with the top of the door . I cant see anything fouling it or stopping it from going down all the way .

It still amazes me how easy he makes it look.

I have never had one come off that easily !

I have managed to get one off without damaging it, I unbolted the window so it dropped down out of the way a little and I modified / bent an old thin bladed screwdriver into a hook and carefully eased the underside of the trim away from the top of the door.

It helps if you can look at another trim so you can see exactly how it bends round the door

Good luck :)

Thanks Darren. When they are on , they are on !. Like so many other owners , having a corrado feels like one step forward and two steps back lol . If I could afford a work shop I would strip it bare and make sure it was like a new car before it left . It would be nice to be able to just tinker .

Edited by robrado974

I've not seen the vid but did mine like others have mentioned. I managed to get one off really easily and sold it on as it was in pretty good order. The other bent like buggery so had to bin it. I did them both with the windows wound down Rob. Neither side clears the window completely of mist when I wind them down in the morning, but does help a little.

I've not seen the vid but did mine like others have mentioned. I managed to get one off really easily and sold it on as it was in pretty good order. The other bent like buggery so had to bin it. I did them both with the windows wound down Rob. Neither side clears the window completely of mist when I wind them down in the morning, but does help a little.

Sean when you put yours back on did you have to use a bit of brute force to get it in behind the 'door frame edge protection' ?

I have a brand new one from heritage and don't want to bend it getting it wrong, most of it is pretty easy to sit in, just having a bit of trouble at the door handle end..