P3rks

SOLD - OBD2 - Turn Key Conversion

SOLD

OBD2 conversion taken from my old Corrado VR6.

This is a full turn-key conversion, plug and play with no messing about for you to do such as chopping looms etc.

- OBD2 inlet Manifold (both parts) and Throttle Body.

- OBD2 MAF and Inlet Elbow.

- OBD2 ECU - De-immobilised and remapped taking into account the Corrado 2.9 ABV engine. Performed by Stealth Racing.

- All wiring looms included. Pre-modified for the Corrado fuse box. Each wire was continuity tested and painfully stripped and fed through each grommet and correct plug, then wrapped in OE loom tape.

OBD2 - Lambda Sensor.

27785635740_8545b20870_z.jpgIMG_2164 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

27451960663_113ec53c4d_z.jpgIMG_2165 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

28066009345_bd36c97922_z.jpgIMG_2170 by Rich Perkins, on Flickr

Unsure on what to price this at as it cost me quite a bit to do and I spent weeks (literally) making sure wiring was done properly and as factory as can be. Plus I can't find any for sale.

£500 to start it off. I am open to any offer.

Located in Sheffield for collection. I can post at cost.

Edited by P3rks

Is the mud and grass thrown in for free?

Thats an extra £60 a month, but comes with a free lock up :)

What benefit does this give to the engine?

More Power and torque lower down and remain through the rev range, better efficiency/MPG, smoother engine, much better idle and response, reliability and availability of spare parts. To name a few.

Best thing I did to my VR6. The engine went from being a bit of a dinosaur with a rough idle, the odd cutting out at lights, random misfires, you know; just the general/normal VR6 running issues/behavior. It became a smooth powerhouse, very modern in it's behaviour without loosing any of that VR6 charm. Idle became perfect and it never cut out, started first time every time, MPG improved noticeably, driveability increased with more low down torque for day to day use and the list goes on.

For those that don't know. VW updated the ECU/Management systems on their model range mid-1995, including the VR6 engine. However the Corrado never received this because the model was being phased out. The Golf VR6 got the update though. The update mainly included an updated ECU and loom (more efficient and responsive mapping - e.g the intake runners on the VR6 are unequal length, OBD2 accounts for this), the idle control valve was removed and replaced with a stepper motor within the throttle body, MAF design changed (later MAF, easy to find new and much much cheaper than the Correado VR6 type). OBD2 Golfs quoted the same power in the brochure but are known a higher output when on a rolling road.

Basically all those annoying characteristics and running issues you deal with on the VR6 engine are fixed. The drive goes from feeling like a rough old engine ready to cut out at any time to a modern, smooth machine.

Edited by P3rks

I have yet to try an OBD2 VR6 but I have to say my OBD1 car does not have a rough idle, it doesn't stall at junctions, and it starts every time. I also have a late MAF and unequal length runners on the Schrick manifold that means the ECU does not need to compensate for them.. :)

If it's all working properly there's no reason an OBD1 VR6 can't be a completely civilised companion.

I can believe however that the later ECU contributes to a little finer control on fuelling and timing and will likely return better mpg and potentially better power output, along with smoother idle/power transitions when stuck in traffic and so on.

I have yet to try an OBD2 VR6 but I have to say my OBD1 car does not have a rough idle, it doesn't stall at junctions, and it starts every time. I also have a late MAF and unequal length runners on the Schrick manifold that means the ECU does not need to compensate for them.. :)

If it's all working properly there's no reason an OBD1 VR6 can't be a completely civilised companion.

I can believe however that the later ECU contributes to a little finer control on fuelling and timing and will likely return better mpg and potentially better power output, along with smoother idle/power transitions when stuck in traffic and so on.

To be fair, I didn't think my OBD1 was bad, at all. Idle fluctuated slightly and was a tad lumpy at times (and it sometimes dropped when puilling up to lights, making it stall from time to time). But all part of the charm and charactersitic of the engine. I remember some chap walking up my drive one day whilst working on it where he was saying he had one from new and the idle was never right and always frustrated him.

I digress. I became converted when I bought a late Golf VR6 to break and I drove it home. The engine behaved completley different and was everything the engine should be.

I was saving this conversion as I've always said I'd get another VR and OBD2 is a must have, now I've had one I couldn't go back kind of thing. I suppose it's one of those, if you don't know any different you won't miss it. But realistally will I ever have another VR6? Not for the foreseeable future, so might as well let someone else enjoy it.

Try and get hold of a OBD2 VR6 for a test, you'll be a convert. :)

Hmmm. Tempted.

DO ITTTTT!!

I'm listening to sensible offers :)

Might give you a call to discuss. PM me.

Hey mate, don't want to step on your toes, you kinda made first refusal however i'm definately interested as it'll cure some issues with my engine!

Go ahead and get in touch. It's a pretty big job to convert and I need to do some research first as mine has a distributor instead of coil pack.

Thanks Rich for taking my call the other day - very helpful. Just doing some thinking aloud on this - so far I reckon for a 1993 distributor early VR6 ABV I would need the above, and:

- coil pack

- cam sensor

- some kind of camshaft cover or something to go where the distributor was

- new OBDII diagnostics loom and connector to replace the 2x2 old style connector under the gear lever surround

Can anyone think of anything else?

Will it even work on a dizzy car?

Will the ABS ECU still work on the OBDII diagnostic loom?

There could also be unexpected interactions with my existing alarm and immobiliser setup (Sterling Toad Excel and Meta alarm)

I think the plug leads are the same, just a bit shorter

I will be taking the stock manifold off soon anyway to replace the injectors with refurbished ones with new seals, so that would be a good time to attempt such a conversion. Hmmmm.

Thanks in advance for any advice and comments.

Upper chain cover

Leads have different fittings on dizzy and coil pack cars.

Immob will cut fuel and spark so may need splicing into the new loom?

Don't forget you'll have you old items to sell on to recoup some of your costs once you're up and running (inlet mani £50+, dizzy £50+ etc, etc).

I have the original dizzy if anyone wants it to refurb. Hall sender socket had cracked off on it but will start a new thread for that.

Hey Rich, parts arrived yesterday however I wasn't impressed with the condition of the box upon delivery! You might want to have a word with UPS, I don't think they paid attention of the word 'FRAGILE' on the side...

I have had a look and all seems ok, obviously I won't really know until its all bolted up which I'm hoping I can start next week.

oidls7.jpg

282exav.jpg

2d7eh6p.jpg

one of the best mods you can do on a vr, imho. Good luck with it eugop. Get some cams and it'll be even better.

Bloody Hell! Have they used it as a football!?

Other than the looms, each part was individually wrapped with bubble wrap and the box was padded with loads of packing paper scrunched up. Fingers crossed. Any issues let me know and I'll raise it with UPS. Sooner the better please. I have it fully covered either way.

Rich

More Power and torque lower down and remain through the rev range, better efficiency/MPG, smoother engine, much better idle and response, reliability and availability of spare parts. To name a few.

Best thing I did to my VR6. The engine went from being a bit of a dinosaur with a rough idle, the odd cutting out at lights, random misfires, you know; just the general/normal VR6 running issues/behavior. It became a smooth powerhouse, very modern in it's behaviour without loosing any of that VR6 charm. Idle became perfect and it never cut out, started first time every time, MPG improved noticeably, driveability increased with more low down torque for day to day use and the list goes on.

Worth it alone for that!! It just doesn't stall, ever. Many OBD1s do when the MAF starts to go, or the ISV starts to get sticky, or the O2 sensor gets a bit lazy. All manner of reasons.

One of the best things I did to mine too. So many more parameters can be monitored on VAG-COM too, and more mapping options too. Hence why Turbo/Supercharged VR6s are always better with OBD2.

Looks like they were in "transit van hell"! Best of luck with the conversion - I'm sorry I missed out on this, but have too much other stuff on re the car to make a snap decision.

Bloody Hell! Have they used it as a football!?

Other than the looms, each part was individually wrapped with bubble wrap and the box was padded with loads of packing paper scrunched up. Fingers crossed. Any issues let me know and I'll raise it with UPS. Sooner the better please. I have it fully covered either way.

Rich

I will fully inspect it before I go home from work today, it looked well protected so it should be ok as you say :)

one of the best mods you can do on a vr, imho. Good luck with it eugop. Get some cams and it'll be even better.

Cams you say eh. Heard that thrown around a few times on here, not really thought too much of it but if it'll benefit from the OBD2 upgrade might think about that too. What would you suggest?

Worth it alone for that!! It just doesn't stall, ever. Many OBD1s do when the MAF starts to go, or the ISV starts to get sticky, or the O2 sensor gets a bit lazy. All manner of reasons.

One of the best things I did to mine too. So many more parameters can be monitored on VAG-COM too, and more mapping options too. Hence why Turbo/Supercharged VR6s are always better with OBD2.

Thats what I like to hear! If anything it'll cure the fact mine was down on power (RR'd a few years ago, got 178 at stealth, Vince said the throttle wasn't opening properly or something) and once a month at least it just cuts out, not stalls just dies. Always restarts though.

I've thought about going down a turbo route later down the line so at least this will give me a good base line, even just for better throttle response and better torque curve as you say. Always had a bit of an issue with the ISV and the damper box - every now and then I'll go to start it and it'll struggle then I'll hear a bang as it pops the foam from the inside of the box..replaced it a couple of times already!

Rich, as a side question, I had the catch can deleted from my engine, do I need to reinstall it with the OBD2 conversion?

Bin the catch can and run the standard PCV setup mate. They're more trouble than they're worth. People in the TFSI tuning world get hard ons for 'PCV delete' kits and all they do is cause the engine to smoke at idle. Waste of time!

Oh right, out of curiousity is there an easy replacement for the PVC (read, alternative)?

Found this image on the web, the small return pipe, with the clamp on the RHS, I have put a bung in the end of mine because that part of the PVC broke so I had to fit a bit of copper plumbing pipe so I could fit the rubber hose

1211556525_7119_FT0_photo-0068.jpg

The small nipple from the valve has broken on mine.

0620021638.jpg

Either way my PVC has failed on me before and has been cleaned, and glued back together. Does the MK3 still use a damper box?

Can I swap the PVC for a catch can?

Edited by eugopnosaj