culshaw

Missing plug? Bare wires...

Had a look under the bonnet this morning to check for mayo and found these wires and what looks like a missing plug (just to the left of my finger. Is that correct? If so, does anyone have a spare plug/picture of this area on their car? :)

MuGtV10.jpg?1&cachebreak=12311

Sorry it is caked in grime, this behaviour is not befitting of a corrado.

not sure without going to have a look - which i can do shortly as the VR is in the work car park

is that the block end of the curved air intake section?

Those go to a blanking plug on the throttle body. It's a sensor not required on UK cars so there will be no adverse affect with them not connected, but I'd tape them up at least so it doesn't short.

not sure without going to have a look - which i can do shortly as the VR is in the work car park

is that the block end of the curved air intake section?

Yes block end

Looks like your MAF or inlet manifold temp sensor is disconnected.

I thought so too

Those go to a blanking plug on the throttle body. It's a sensor not required on UK cars so there will be no adverse affect with them not connected, but I'd tape them up at least so it doesn't short.

Ok, will do, it actually looks like the wires have come out the plug, i'll see if I can put them back somehow

Yes block end

I thought so too

Ok, will do, it actually looks like the wires have come out the plug, i'll see if I can put them back somehow

tidy - good answers :)

I would have said its the wires for the PCV valve connector. Hard to tell. But they are a blank plug anyway on a UK VR so not needed. I've cut mine off.

I've also noticed i don't have a pcv... ffs. This could explain my oil smoke issue *straw clutch*

Ok for clarity, yes its the PCV valve plug, but its not needed. If you look where it plugs onto in the pic above, there are no pins! Its not required on UK cars, but the plug is there on the loom regardless as its more cost efficient for VW to produce a standard loom for all cars, rather than ones specific for different markets. How that works for LH and RH drive cars I'm not sure, but thats the way it is.

Ah right. All it does is recycle the smoke so could cause a little more. Some put a small filter on (get em for a couple of quid on ebay), but that causes the oil smoke to vent into the bay and then through the vents. You should be able to get one relatively cheaply second hand if you want to re-instate it though. I think they're quite expensive for what they are new.

The plug is for a PCV heater on USA spec cars (the mayo like gunk that tends to collect there can freeze - this has happened to some Lupos in the UK during very cold winter spells leading to oil loss and engine seizure), not needed in the UK as they never had one.

Blocking off the pcv valve usually ends up with oil leaks

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/197

I'd agree with Jim, PCV valve plug. Whether or not it does anything personally I prefer things to be right.

This looks similar, might just be what your looking for. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-AMP-TYCO-2-Way-Junior-Power-Timer-With-Terminals-Boot-and-Cable-Seals-/140938481506?hash=item20d0968f62:g:Qp8AAOSwWTRWvJkw

I fitted an oil catch can so it did away with all that plastic gumpf and the valve, made sense to get rid of the wiring too.

thanks sean, i meant i don't have a pcv valve at all, someones done a delete bung job

I'd fit an oil catch can to it, i wouldn't just bung the hole on the cam cover as i'm sure its meant to vent

I'd agree with Jim, PCV valve plug. Whether or not it does anything personally I prefer things to be right.

This looks similar, might just be what your looking for. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-AMP-TYCO-2-Way-Junior-Power-Timer-With-Terminals-Boot-and-Cable-Seals-/140938481506?hash=item20d0968f62:g:Qp8AAOSwWTRWvJkw

Out of curiosity, why are these connectors called power timers?

Out of curiosity, why are these connectors called power timers?

I've just tried to find out on google and am non the wiser