ChrisL

MK1 Golf GTI Project

After selling the Corrado I lasted until about January before needing something to do in the garage that wouldn't cost the earth. I ended up buying this back in February after a short search for a MK1 GTI. The car had been stripped by the previous owner and any welding work already completed, this looks to be only minor areas such as the rear panel, rear outer arches and the front panel. Other then that, the shell is in amazing condition. I have all the parts stored in boxes to be cleaned and fitted once the paint work is finished.

I've always wanted to have a go at bodywork preparation and painting and intend to do it all myself including the final top-coat.

So this is when I got it home:

91ec0d4206783e5b38438d66a943d246.jpg

This is the interior, not bad for 170K miles. Totally mint except for a small fag burn, this wont matter as I intend to have the centres re-trimmed with the black and grey stripe:

7d5904f61a7e550200a1b313cea2f60d.jpg

First job after sorting all the parts out of the shell was a quick clean of the interior, floors look perfect:

IMG_2579_zpstufi7lwc.jpg

Then I got a jig made at work to make the days of sanding a little easier:

IMG_2587_zpsiptab9qv.jpg

Noticed one of the sills had been dented up, probably from someone jacking the car incorrectly:

IMG_2619_zpsknkkejlp.jpg

was going to live with it as its not intended to be a show car but decided it would drive me mad if I didnt sort it, so got some plates welded on to try and pull it straight

IMG_2622_zpsnkabdlsv.jpg

Came out pretty well really

IMG_2627_zps19ng40jt.jpg

More to follow….

Edited by ChrisL

Love the Jig, and the space you seem to have, I've no doubt this'll be properly mint once you are done with it 8)

I like messing with cars but some of you guys are seriously good at this!

I'm jealous already know how good the finished article will be. Top work Chris.

I like messing with cars but some of you guys are seriously good at this!

I'm jealous already know how good the finished article will be. Top work Chris.

Indeed same as, but having a nice big storage barn or shed helps. :)

Which i don't, but is a good thing otherwise i would have more cars. :D

Edited by Dogma

Must get myself another toy to annoy the neighbours.... and get the curtains twitching... got plenty of room for another 4 cars on the drive and in garage... would love a mk1 golf...

thanks all, a mk1 golf gti was supposed to be my first car back in 1992 but it was just as insurances went through the roof because of cars like the XR2 being stolen all the time.

The garage is great and I do have loads of space to work and can still get the wife's car in there too. The jig is also a godsend when it comes to sanding as it will rotate to exactly the right position.

I said this wasn't going to be a show car but more of something I could use when I wanted, but the boot floor needed prepping for paint and got a bit carried away

IMG_2724_zps8qd1t5qc.jpg

IMG_2725_zpsade1uoi9.jpg

Bit of dolphin glaze filler just to get it a bit flatter

IMG_2726_zpsseaqgkg0.jpg

and sanded

IMG_2735_zpsj7tbkch6.jpg

Inner arches had a few ripples and small dents so on with a little filler

IMG_2705_zpsemoxmar4.jpg

IMG_2709_zpsre04m8fq.jpg

IMG_2718_zpskzbvl0xo.jpg

all primed and some seam sealer applied to finish off

IMG_2751_zpsnmbwhjts.jpg

On to the drivers rear quarter, decided to take it back to bare metal and found a nice ding full of filler

IMG_2771_zpsrs6keujd.jpg

can be seen better after priming

IMG_2773_zpsspfjqkdg.jpg

I didn't fancy loading it with filler again incase it shrank over time so got a dent remover round

IMG_2921_zpslszo69ij.jpg

Now just needed a light skim to get it dead flat

IMG_2922_zpsmvm0ufor.jpg

More to follow

I take it it's Lhasa green

Are you keeping the original colour?

I fell in love with a Lhasa when I was in my early 20,s

Just couldn't quite afford it , wish I had saved a bit harder though, bought a 2.0 Capri instead :(

It is Lhasa green but its not staying that colour, it will be this colour:

e9fccb066c168945f707668f1afec7b0_zpsqjmjxsqj.jpg

Carbon steel grey metallic from the MK7 Golf!

That'll look great Chris! How are you painting the top coat? I keep thinking I need a compressor, but the cost of a decent setup is keeping me from doing it. With something like painting though, it'll pay for itself pretty quickly!

I've never painted before so this will be my first. I have a friend who owns a garage with a spray booth in the corner, he said I can borrow it and also use his gun etc.

High build priming will be done in my garage.

Awesome stuff, love the mk1s. Will look great in that colour. My mate has a yellow formel e on bags and it's a beautiful looking car ;) good luck!

Looks really nice.... just sold my MK1 which was sat in my Mums garage for near on three years... I wanted to do the same paint wise, MK7 Midnight Blue, but taking on the Corrado and another extension to build the MK1 was just never going to get done :(

Got the rear panel finished and looks nice and flat from the reflection in the wet primer

IMG_3058_zpsgjtplc94.jpg

Onto the doors, drivers door was the worst with a large crease at the front, plan is to go back to bare metal then have a dent remover come and get as much out as possible

crease can be seen here

IMG_3458_zpss9n8tkk2.jpg

back to bare metal

IMG_3466_zps0yaosla5.jpg

dent remover managed to get it all pretty much out leaving just a light skim of filler

IMG_3490_zpse6a1tfus.jpg

and primed, seems pretty flat

IMG_3491_zpstbtaenes.jpg

Bonnet now to take back to bare metal then I should be ready for high build primer. I'm going to try a polyester primer which is supposed to be really thick (like spraying filler apparently). Then its more blocking work......... and dust...........

Ok, so some updates:

Put some new wings on and wanted to make sure all gaps were even, pretty good I think

e1969fd7f51920d2c2643508f7115653.jpg

83ca8140e9fc20f28b5d042260ef3750.jpg

Bought a new bonnet and checked all gaps up front

50a30399343461936802158489b07297.jpg

Then masked up ready for some polyester high build:

069bdc009b9185e90251be5086de0607.jpg

This was then blocked again (no pics) and then the shell was sprayed in high build primer

a3a3ba48904c5eacefc0f6f777711d1c.jpg

b76462b4dedcd7b69c72b728b853abfd.jpg

2256a50e62db2078de0564b660b03767.jpg

More to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's rather lovely chris.... you decided on a colour yet ? Keep the updates coming please... would love a mk1 one of these days.