Erallus

Spring Compressor Recommendations

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a spring compressor as the Front suspension on my Corrado is knackered (clanks and groans) also my the front spring on my Lupo has just snapped.

So, after doing some research it looks like the ratchet driven types can be fairly dangerous (potentially), so I'm looking at something like the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-RE231-Spring-Compressing-Station/dp/B000RO7VI8

Anyone got any experience of the above or similar on a VW and specifically a Corrado?

FYI, this is the type of kit I'm a bit concerned about using:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/laser-coil-spring-compressor

Cheers

The ratchet type are fine as long as you don't over compress them. You'll need them to remove your springs anyway, as the station won't be any good until they're off the car (may be wrong but I don't think they'll fit under the arch).

You only need to take up a bit of slack from the springs when removing them to stop it pinging off when you remove the lower securing bolts, so I wouldn't worry mate.

The station looks great and would certainly help when getting it all back together before fitting, but its probably a bit overkill unless you're doing it very often.

Bloomin eck that Amazon part looks a right bit of kit. Imo not necessary and big money, but it will always be your choice.

I've always used the coil spring compressors and they work prefectly fine. Certainly did on my C, and I've had this suspension off numerous times. You just wind each side a little at a time and all is good.

Bargain little tool, easy to use.

You could remove the complete units from the car and get a garage to take the spring out for less than the big tool.

Good luck in what you decide

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers all, I was thinking I'd remove the whole unit then compress the spring to change it.

Your right, there's now way that unit would go under the car.

I'll reckon I'll give the screw fix one a go. 200 quids a lot for something I'd use once in a blue moon (how often does your suspension fail)

I bought some a long time ago, only really needed them once to take the standard length springs off, all the other swapping of springs i've done since, i manage to just push the spring down by hand and then undo the nut.

I have the use of a hydraulic one like the sealey one, brilliant tool, safer than the threaded type and won't damage the paint on the springs. Just remember not to hold the strut by the spring seat and release the pressure, don't ask how I know...

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

Cheers for the advice. Went with the screw fix kit.

Does the job as long as your careful . Just can't get the spring nut off now as I can't keep the strut from Spinning .

tried mole grips, water pump pliers . Dont have the correct offset ring spanner or socket .

Worth buying or borrowing an offset ring spanner. I borrowed and gave it back the next day, but made it so easy.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I tried an offset spanner but the top plate still wouldn't allow enough access for a decent purchase. I ended up buying a cheap impact gun and that whipped it off easily

I tried an offset spanner but the top plate still wouldn't allow enough access for a decent purchase. I ended up buying a cheap impact gun and that whipped it off easily

This 👍 got a ring spanner , bit still not enough clearance . Trying for a vortex socket as that's a couple of quid . Could do with a battery operated impact gun at soke point

Old thread, but a bit of info to add:

The Clark 3 rod spring compressors (also Teng Tools look identical) like these:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht224-3piece-coil-spring-compressor/

Don't work on the Corrado, as there's no clearance for the heads in the well around the top of the strut, and the bar is also too long. It hits the top of the well before the bottom hook is engaged. I went for these as I thought they looked a bit more substantial than the Laser/Hilka ones above, like the locking mechanism and felt having three bars was a bit more stable and safer than just the two bars.... but half an hour wrestling with them and they definitely don't fit so best to avoid. Guess I'll have to go with the type above. frustrating day!

Edited by oneohtwo

Good suggestion fla. failing that I’ve removed standard shocks before without them, then taken them to bits off the car

18 hours ago, fla said:

Try them upside down. Might give you access that way

Gave that a go, but unfortunately the hooks are just too big to fit at the back and sides of the strut well. they fit at the front corners, but that leaves you without the third. Did grab a pair of the Hilka type from screwfix so will give them ago. 

I have only ever used two spring compressors to take the struts apart. 

Only ever done it off the car though as was not needed in removing the whole strut from the vehicle. They come off complete.  

Good luck with it though 👍

Same here - standard Halfords hook and threaded bar type - probably made by Laser. Worked fine on a Mk2 Golf which has the same front layout.

Always just used two. You can cheat and compress just part of the spring to get the strut off - use a couple of small c-clamps like a carpenter uses for safety by looping them over the coils to stop them springing back.

On 4/13/2020 at 4:11 PM, Cressa said:

Only ever done it off the car though as was not needed in removing the whole strut from the vehicle. They come off complete.  

Yep, I was being thick... ! The top plate holds the spring on when they come off. Only after I went out and bought the two pronged ones did I realise this; the Clark ones would have been fine all along!