Sakers

ABS Light bypass

I know this is frowned upon, but im in an emergency situation of needing to use my corrado as the fuel pump for my daily has been delayed.

What can i temporarily wire an LED to that extinguishes after engine start, it doesnt have to go off within 3 secs of ignition as i can get slight favours, but it has to look sort of right lol.

Thanks

You'll need a 555 timer or something similar with various resistors and LED etc to get it to work. I used to have a wiring diagram with all the values required (as I may have had to do it myself some time ago), but since I got it working and it was on an old laptop that died, I haven't bothered trying to find the info again. I got someone at my old workplace to design it for me, and I wired it all up with a small bit of biscuit board that fitted inside the light unit. It came on for the 3 seconds about every 2 hours or so as its essentially on a loop.

cheers for the replies, managed to bodge it into the battery light for now, **** job but it will get me through lol.

What's the issue with the abs? Symptoms?

Not had a chance to look properly, had to overhaul the engine and running gear until recently. abs lamp had its wires cut when i bought the car last year, sensors and pump are in place but there were no abs rings on the rear discs for a start. its had some seriously bad wiring done under the dash it all needs to come out, but i want at least 1 summers worth out of it after the money iv put in haha, and my daily drive is grounded atm.

Edited by Sakers

I brought a timer relay kit from Maplins with adjustable on/off times. I just left one of the potentiometers off so it comes on for 3 secs with ignition and goes off until it gets 12v again. It works a treat! I did it a few years ago to get through an mot, as it was quicker to fit than replacing the pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My car arrived on these shores with the ABS light on

1, permanently lit, scanned and replaced a wheel sensor, passed its first ever MOT at 15 years old.

2, fault now intermittent, various inlet / outlet valve faults tried a few ABS ECU's without any success.

3, used pump fitted in 20 minutes - another hour to bleed / replace ****ty old (original?) fluid - I presume there's a power supply fault inside the pump as there's so many faults?

4, fault now intermittent again (no valve faults!) replaced the pedal sensor with a recon unit bought from emu off the forum = cured, for now!

If you go the timer route will you ever get around to fixing the fault?

1, Will you tell a buyer in the future you've fitted a defeat? If yes deduct £1000 off the potential asking price, if no then you have no conscience.

2, The longer you leave it the more likely other the components will have issues and you end up with a car with multiple faults like mine.

3 Used pumps are getting scarce and going up in price, you're just delaying the inevitable - I bought 3 used pumps for less than £30 delivered - they tend to be a lot more expensive now.

4, If you're ever in a serious accident and leave black stripes on the road it will be obvious the ABS isn't working, the police may want to prosecute if they find the defeat, the insurance may refuse your claim and only pay out for 3rd parties.

Just my 2p worth, only I drive my car, when the light was on often cycling the ignition took it off again - but I was aware of it and it was my choice to continue to drive it.

Not really meant as a lecture, just shared experience and an opinion that may differ to yours.

I completely agree Dox. Mine was a short term solution. My fault was rear outlet valve on the pump. I did get a replacement ecu and pump but as with all used parts from a 25 year old car there's no guarantee that they'll last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ABS light it wired like this.. the lights goes on when the pump is working only.

The fault code isnt shown on the light.

13336174-1728104977466128-545705347-n.jpg

Thanks everyone, im through MOT now so all good lol. I agree with all those points Dox its was definitely a temporary fix only. I plan to delete the ABS completely as i cant be bothered going down the endless road of pump, pump ecu's lack of parts etc. Just didnt have the time to do it this weekend and i needed my car on the road for monday !