robrado974

Where can I get brake carriers from ?.

After having my VR on the road for 20 minutes for the first time in months, the passenger side front caliper decided to give up . I was thinking of sending both to big red for an OEM refurb. But then I can buy new off the shelf for less . They don't come with the carriers though . My Carriers are in a state, it seems a bit daft to have oem silver callipers with hand painted carriers. Does anyone know where you can get them from ?.

Kind regards,

Rob

Edited by robrado974

What's wrong with the existing ones rob ?

I guess nothing a wire brush and a coat of paint won't sort out... just be careful with the machined bits.

TBH Delfinis , there's nothing wrong with them , except the painting on them is poor . I just didn't want factory finish on the calipers and Hammerite on the arms .

I get an early and late type in ETKA

early up to chassis >>50-M-027000 which is part 857-615-125 and late which is 50-M-027001>> onwards, part number 357-615-125/C which recently went NLA

early ones show available via classic parts

The carriers the early ones are £121.73 plus VAT each. Part number 857-615-125

We list the calipers on an exchange basis so re con £86.25 plus VAT each and your own calipers back. These are the late calipers though

Thanks Anna , will be in touch soon .

apologies for the suggestion if it is not wanted but with those part prices, for both sides with the vat is a few pennies from £500

i was able to get HiSpec 4 pots for not too much more than that & i can certainly vouch for their braking being leagues ahead in terms of brake power over OE

just a thought ;)

apologies for the suggestion if it is not wanted but with those part prices, for both sides with the vat is a few pennies from £500

i was able to get HiSpec 4 pots for not too much more than that & i can certainly vouch for their braking being leagues ahead in terms of brake power over OE

just a thought ;)

Hi, No worries on the suggestion. I just try to help but unfortunately i dont get to make the prices :-( if only i did......

Hi, No worries on the suggestion. I just try to help but unfortunately i dont get to make the prices :-( if only i did......

sorry Anna my post was not directed at yourself nor at the prices

it was simply for robrado as an alternative option to consider

sorry Anna my post was not directed at yourself nor at the prices

it was simply for robrado as an alternative option to consider

I know, just stating that i agree, some prices are crazy and i too get stuck paying them lol

I know, just stating that i agree, some prices are crazy and i too get stuck paying them lol

ahh i see. my mistake, i was worried in case you thought i had directed it at you lol

I can't understand how the carriers are more expensive than the calipers! :scratch:

likely due to them being a refurb & not new - hence why you have to send them your old ones back

another factor with my decision to bin the OE front brakes

I thought the carriers were a tad expensive too !. Like Anna asys though , she doesnt make up the prices .

Could you give vwspares a ring,see if they are likely to get any Vr ones in stock ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Could just soak yours in citric acid and paint them as well as the new calipers. I bought bew rear carriers and painted them to match the calipers.

They are just bare metal when you get them.

Citric acid granules are cheap and do a good job of eating rust.

I've thought about it .great info Golfinger I appreciate it . Dragon and everyone else , thank you for your input. At the end of the day it all comes down to cost . As some of you know ive sold some of my spare parts to fund the new calipers . Jim I will go down the route of stripping them and painting them myself. Thanks everyone.

Rob