Cluffstarr

Blue 1993 Corrado VR6 in Yeovil, Somerset

Are you on about the ones near the engine at tha back of the bumper. If so they screw into a curved special bracket I think the bolts have a 10mm head on them. I got one of the brackets last year from heritage. Lilfuzzer on heat will no doubt have some of the bolts they aren’t your average shape or look.

I'm after the screws (3x each side) that hold the splitter to the main part of the bumper. I've removed the five bolts on the front with no problem...

Try typing

“Speed clips and bolts”

Into eBay, that should bring up the type of thing your after.

Try typing

“Speed clips and bolts”

Into eBay, that should bring up the type of thing your after.

Speed Clips! I knew there was a name for them! Thanks for the prompt :)

Evening all,

Miffed doesn't cover it - I'm refurbishing the suspension with new boots, bearings and top mount bushes (Struts and Springs OK and I don't like replacing things that work just because they're old). Anyway, tightening the top nut onto the new bearing on one strut and the 7mm allen bit has slipped or gripped or who knows what and the thread has split and bent out about 6-7mm from the top of the strut. No way to get the strut apart again without chopping the top of with a grinder. A bit worried about doing that.

Anyone have any tips/thoughts/advice. I need a beer....

Hi Cluffstarr

Have you tried using a good pair of mole grips or you could file / grind 2 flats on the threaded section so you can get a spanner on.

Hi Cluffstarr

Have you tried using a good pair of mole grips or you could file / grind 2 flats on the threaded section so you can get a spanner on.

That's a good idea with the mole grips which I tried. My main toolchest is at a mates so will get that back and give it a go with better tools.

Don't have a grinder but know someone with one. That's probably the best option if the metal isn't too weak... Really annoying, especially as I was in no rush and took my time cleaning and painting everything up as I went over the last week or so...!!

No luck so far sorting the strut. Bit closer after grinding some of it away but will need more effort with a file if I'm to sort it...

I have a question which may have an obvious answer for some... Were original VR6 front shocks oil filled or gas filled, ie should they extend under no load? Mine don't (anymore?) and as one is obviously damaged, I wonder if I just need to bite the bullet on two new B4s...

If your shocks are older then 10/15 years old then yes mate get a new set and also consider the rest of the suspension, bushes , mounts, bump stops, wishbones etc as it will probably be in the same state. Really can completley transform a car .

If your shocks are older then 10/15 years old then yes mate get a new set and also consider the rest of the suspension, bushes , mounts, bump stops, wishbones etc as it will probably be in the same state. Really can completley transform a car .

Yeah, I'm on it changing the wishbone bushes too at the minute so leaning that way very very much. Rears all done jut before I bought in late 2016. Now is the time...

No luck so far sorting the strut. Bit closer after grinding some of it away but will need more effort with a file if I'm to sort it...

I have a question which may have an obvious answer for some... Were original VR6 front shocks oil filled or gas filled, ie should they extend under no load? Mine don't (anymore?) and as one is obviously damaged, I wonder if I just need to bite the bullet on two new B4s...

Original shocks are oil filled. The Bilstein B4 are gas filled but modern gas filled struts are pretty close in comparison.

Afternoon All,

So the new B4s arrived and I'm hoping to get them on the car next weekend. Anyone have any tips on how best to torque them up without risking of rounding the allen key fitment at the top? It's a 6mm key but it's not exactly a snug fitting...

I fitted my replacement splitter after giving it some paint on Thursday. But while I was busy around the car, I noticed that the rubber seals along the edge of the front / rear windows (I think they're called scraper seals??) are starting to deteriorate / crack up a bit. The car has been outside, up on stands all winter so hasn't been away from the elements. I'm hoping to build a garage at some point this year, but if things don't go to plan it may be parked up outside next winter too... Anyone have suggestions on good products to treat / look after the seals?

Cheers all, Cluffy

An impact driver is your best option Cluffy. Get them up to a decent amount so they won't move from the correct position, and lower the car to the floor. That way all the weight it on the top mounts so they should tighten a bit easier with the mounts not spinning. Mole grips with a folded rag over the teeth and attached to the damper shaft may also help it stop spinning a little. Good luck!

Evening All,

It's been a little while since posting. I've been busy preparing another car for sale and it just went off to the new owner tonight...

So, back to my lovely Corrado :) Feels good to get back to work on it as I've done very little of late and don't want to leave it neglected any longer!

I need to get the driver's side wishbone out and I'm going to remove the sump to do it as the gasket is leaking. I looked on vwspares.co.uk for the gasket and there are two, a rubber one and a composite. Can either be used? I've read a few posts on here recommending the rubber one? My car is a chassis number for the composite one... Halfway down this page:

https://www.vwspares.co.uk/VW_Corrado_Engine-Gaskets.php?model=2.9%20VR6

Also, to do the wishbone bushes I was going to buy a 20 tonne press off eBay. A bit of outlay but will be useful in the future for other bushes and wheel bearings etc. Does anyone have advice on these? Are there any to avoid or specific types that would serve me well?