vr6monkey

Potential engine swap - any advice appreciated

Hi all,

It's been 10 years since my last VR6. I've just been offered a decent looking 1995 2.0 16V, it's just a bit underwhelming in the performance stakes. So I need to decide whether to wait for a VR6 or get the 16V and insert a more interesting lump. I've tinkered on cars in the past, but never done an engine swap. With an empty double garage I'm tempted to give it a go.

Can anyone guide me on the following:

* What engine would people recommend for a straight forward swap to give me around 200 bhp.

* Do any of the differences between VR6 and valver (bonnet, subframe etc) affect engine swap?

* What jobs are beyond enthusiastic DIY?

* Roughly, what am I looking at time and cost? (Accepting how long is a piece of string)

In advance, thanks for your thoughts.

Regards, James

Edited by vr6monkey

VR6 had the wide track front suspension and five stud wheels too, there were a lot of differences in the drive train.

Anything at all with a turbo will give you 200bhp, more or less.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

This is personal opinion, but I always advise sticking with the same amount of cylinders for the car, to convert to the likes of vr6, 4motion, r32 you need vr6 subframe so may as well get a vr6 to start with.

I've heard 1.8t have problems with early bonnets but a 2.0 16v will have bulge so will be fine. Most engine swaps have off the shelf conversion kits these days but I really like the idea of tfsi engine conversions, they tune well and do sound good!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks dr_mat.

Do those differences lead to additional work if I try to stick an R32 engine into the 16V?

20VT seems to be a popular choice, but always tempted by additional cylinders.

Thanks swiftkid,

That's what I suspected with subframe and like-for-like engine swaps.

My initial thoughts were a 1.8T, but TFSI is a good shout - anyone got any advice for first time engine-swapper?

1.8t is the simple swap everyone does... slots on standard mounts and qpeng have management to plug and play.

Although you do miss the vr6 roar

The 1.8t has been done a lot and there is tons of info on it. Have a look at the definitive guide in the engine bay section for more info. Not sure if the tfsi has been done in this country at least, so info may be quite sparse and a hard undertaking for a first time engine swap

What I'm trying to figure out is:

£2k 16v car + £? for engine swap

or

£5k for a reasonable VR6 + budget for usual work (head, chains etc)

I know and love VR6s, but I'm tempted by the challenge of an 16v conversion. I just want to understand what I'm letting myself in for a bit better :-)

Edited by vr6monkey

Thanks seanl82,

1.8t done a lot... I suppose that makes a more suitable undertaking for my first attempt. Whilst I'm looking forward to getting behind the wheel of a Corrado again, I'm also looking to get the spanners out and learn some new stuff.

TFSI - the lack of info would be a concern, so thanks for pointing this out.

Tfsi has been done, just not off the shelf stuff. Sure if you looked you could find the info you need, biggest thing is wiring but people can do that for you.

There are quite a few corrado's coming up for sale with conversions already, maybe worth looking out for one you can improve on as it will save you money in the long run. I was trying to save money doing an r32 conversion myself but that didn't happen lol

Again, thanks for advice.

Can anyone outline ballpark £££ of a 1.8T conversion if I try to do as much as possible myself?

Has anyone got a decent 1.8T engine for sale?

I haven't seen a tfsi in a Corrado yet, but fair enough if it's been done, I stand corrected.

It's probably far more economical to buy a good mk4 or cupra R (depending on what lump/turbo you want). You'll have every part you need from the same car, and you can sell on what you don't and probably make more back, so a free conversion and money in the bank! I know a few that have managed to do just that!

Just seen a 1.8t for sale on Facebook for 3250, up in Scotland. Looks quite tidy though

I did the 1.8t conversion myself. A bit like you wanted to give something like that a go. It was fairly simple to do and as said loads of info out there. I went with qpeng which made it easy to wire up. Full 180 motor with turbo and look off eBay around £600. Qpeng kit about the same iirc. And a bunch of other bits to make exhaust, turbo pipework, intercooler, vr clutch rtf. Probably looking around £1500 to £2000. If you have the space and time to buy a donor to strip it would probably be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I saw someone start a TFSI corrado but it never got finished, I quite like the idea myself :) with dsg

There is a facebook page for TFSI swaps into mk1 mk2 golfs, they seem a helpful bunch.

I saw someone start a TFSI corrado but it never got finished, I quite like the idea myself :) with dsg

There is a facebook page for TFSI swaps into mk1 mk2 golfs, they seem a helpful bunch.

I was about to say it can't be a million miles from a MK2 Golf TFSI - I've pulled my first VR engine out and other that the obvious size difference its pretty much identical to the MK2 GTI's I used to do in my younger years ;)

Thanks swiftkid for tip regarding 1.8T, but went to look at an immaculate VR6 last night and simply put - no comparison. So, I've decided to ditch the idea of a 16v engine swap and go with what I know. If all goes to plan, I should be driving my 3rd Corrado by the weekend.

I did the 1.8t conversion myself. A bit like you wanted to give something like that a go. It was fairly simple to do and as said loads of info out there. I went with qpeng which made it easy to wire up. Full 180 motor with turbo and look off eBay around £600. Qpeng kit about the same iirc. And a bunch of other bits to make exhaust, turbo pipework, intercooler, vr clutch rtf. Probably looking around £1500 to £2000. If you have the space and time to buy a donor to strip it would probably be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Orkius for info - but seen a really nice VR6 and decided to go for that instead - hope to be driving it by the weekend :-)