blue95

New Project VR6 Supercharged

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

What injectors have you gone for ?

Supercharger came with Bosch red injectprs just had them cleaned and rebuilt by http://www.injectortune.co.uk/ came back like new with flow report, very reasonable price as well.

The previous owner of mine had fitted this kit. I had it removed and sold it a couple of years ago, it was a V9 F, sold it complete with the Ecu, but the Ecu was for a obd1 dizzy version. The bearings had gone in it and it never ran right while it was  on. I think it didn’t run right because it wasn’t mapped properly, the chip it comes with is for a 2.8 American market, ours on the other hand are as you know, 2.9. 

9 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

The previous owner of mine had fitted this kit. I had it removed and sold it a couple of years ago, it was a V9 F, sold it complete with the Ecu, but the Ecu was for a obd1 dizzy version. The bearings had gone in it and it never ran right while it was  on. I think it didn’t run right because it wasn’t mapped properly, the chip it comes with is for a 2.8 American market, ours on the other hand are as you know, 2.9. 

Would be nice to have enough power to keep the little shits away in the 1.6 seat turbos !  I imagine Vice could sort the chip out- only thing is the power is low on 4k revs in a VR and I don't think the chargers come on in till then. They do look tidy in the bay though. 

Edited by Keyo

You will need to cut a small bit out of the strengthening to the underside of the bonnet as it will catch the top of the charger, other than that it’s just nut, bolts and a tune. 
Vince was doing a charger kit for the VR6, he’d done a deal with a British manufacturer, give him a call Keyo and see what it’s all about.  The biggest thing I didn’t like about the Vortech was the whiney/whistle, it made a right annoying unmistakable racket that wasn’t very stealthy even just pottering about. 

22 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

You will need to cut a small bit out of the strengthening to the underside of the bonnet as it will catch the top of the charger, other than that it’s just nut, bolts and a tune. 
Vince was doing a charger kit for the VR6, he’d done a deal with a British manufacturer, give him a call Keyo and see what it’s all about.  The biggest thing I didn’t like about the Vortech was the whiney/whistle, it made a right annoying unmistakable racket that wasn’t very stealthy even just pottering about. 

Exactly that a whining car and a lady one could not surely cope ha - joke ! Most important thing would be the when the range of power comes in for me- although the fact it just bolts on and is cheaper than a turbo does make it desirable.   

See I thought the point of a supercharger was that it's constantly turning and therefore no lag - meaning power delivery is much more linear compared to a turbo which lags low down....

6 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

See I thought the point of a supercharger was that it's constantly turning and therefore no lag - meaning power delivery is much more linear compared to a turbo which lags low down....

Yeah me too but I think these chargers are mid range and don't cover the flat spot- could be wrong though. 

Power delivery was very linear with this car with this setup  on the old engine, prob is with the charger and the Schrick on its hard to tell what makes the diff.  I had a stock vr6 at the same time and the difference between the two cars was night and day, stock vr as was a very refined cruiser with power at the top of the rev range.  With the charger and the schrick the VR is quick right from the start, with very linear power delivery and continues to pull hard well over 100mph

Edited by blue95

50 minutes ago, blue95 said:

Power delivery was very linear with this car with this setup  on the old engine, prob is with the charger and the Schrick on its hard to tell what makes the diff.  I had a stock vr6 at the same time and the difference between the two cars was night and day, stock vr as was a very refined cruiser with power at the top of the rev range.  With the charger and the schrick the VR is quick right from the start, with very linear power delivery and continues to pull hard well over 100mph

Sounds good to me !

Some small progress...oil cooler fitted, engine has oil in it for the first time - already has a slight weap from the sump 😞, disappointed as all the gasket/seal changes were farmed out.  Try some quick fixes first as I dont fancy draining brand new oil.  Hoping to turn the eningne over for the first time as well.

Coolant sysytem to take care of next, new rad, shroud and fans built up ready to go in after wiring sorted.

IMG_8764.jpg

Edited by blue95

49 minutes ago, blue95 said:

Some small progress...oil cooler fitted, engine has oil in it for the first time - already has a slight weap from the sump 😞, disappointed as all the gasket/seal changes were farmed out.  Try some quick fixes first as I dont fancy draining brand new oil.  Hoping to turn the eningne over for the first time as well.

Coolant sysytem to take care of next, new rad, shroud and fans built up ready to go in after wiring sorted.

IMG_8764.jpg

Good work

I sat my shroud against the radiator for maximum air draw when on, you don’t really want air being sucked in from the sides as obviously you are trying to draw air through the radiator. 
D8A12B48-E362-46C6-B05C-93B34B86FE8F.thumb.jpeg.1ec9956f597a768cde17c5260074e2de.jpeg

67A9A78F-FE92-4D6E-BCE8-F941F0A9B621.jpeg.d99c864744423e3ed486fa75bf7a0a06.jpeg

and eventually went for these 12” fans which fit in nicely with a similar aluminium radiator to yourself 28AC41BC-D6FA-48AF-90B3-A379EB96FAC3.thumb.jpeg.a1a6f1b3284d590de456f35b2b27c025.jpeg

1 hour ago, blue95 said:

IMG_8764.jpg

The sump bolts aren't overtightened are they?  Its only thin steel so could have bent slightly.  

I've bought an alloy sump (not fitted yet) in case i need to change over.  Incidentally i had an oil leak from the oil filter cap, which i didn't actually find but the oil drop disappeared after replacing it.  Had already changed the oil filter housing gasket, reseated the sandwich plate, new sump gasket, crank sensor seal but it still leaked.  Just a thought - sometimes its the most unlikely sources

1 hour ago, fla said:

The sump bolts aren't overtightened are they?  Its only thin steel so could have bent slightly.  

I've bought an alloy sump (not fitted yet) in case i need to change over.  Incidentally i had an oil leak from the oil filter cap, which i didn't actually find but the oil drop disappeared after replacing it.  Had already changed the oil filter housing gasket, reseated the sandwich plate, new sump gasket, crank sensor seal but it still leaked.  Just a thought - sometimes its the most unlikely sources

Appears to have stopped leaking, rechecked the sump bolts corener ones were not torqed 100% not optmoisitc...time will tell

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Good work

I sat my shroud against the radiator for maximum air draw when on, you don’t really want air being sucked in from the sides as obviously you are trying to draw air through the radiator. 

and eventually went for these 12” fans which fit in nicely with a similar aluminium radiator to yourself

Design wise I went for the easy option :), edges are sealed using a high temp seal, figured this would help with any vibration as well. Fams are also mounted on rubber washers.  left some gaps at the bottom of the fans though for drainage and debris etc.

45 minutes ago, blue95 said:

Design wise I went for the easy option :), edges are sealed using a high temp seal, figured this would help with any vibration as well. Fams are also mounted on rubber washers.  left some gaps at the bottom of the fans though for drainage and debris etc.

Good stuff 👍

Pleased to say we have another Corrado back on the road 🙂

Started first turn...that was a relief!

Few more jobs still to do, but motivated now I can drive it...next on the list

Bodywork sorted

wheels redone

New brake lines all round, rear (R32) vented disc conversion and front (TT) 312mm

I will also likely be changing the lights back to stock

IMG_9328.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

Edited by blue95

Looking stunning- agreed though you need the stock lights back detracting from the front end. Someone will pay you good money for them aftermarket lights - probably around 300 with indicators. 

Edited by Keyo

2 hours ago, blue95 said:

Pleased to say we have another Corrado back on the road 🙂

Started first turn...that was a relief!

Few more jobs still to do, but motivated now I can drive it...next on the list

Bodywork sorted

wheels redone

New brake lines all round, rear (R32) vented disc conversion and front (TT) 312mm

I will also likely be changing the lights back to stock

IMG_9328.jpg

IMG_9331.jpg

It’s an emotional moment. Well done

Cheers all...defo an emotional moment 🙂  Missus first statement...so this means you'll be spending less time in the garage lol