Micky Blue

How rare are these wheels and what are they called??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]95984[/ATTACH]

1993 2.0 16v

Besides mine, I've only seen these on one other Corrado. (I don't really go to shows) To me they seem to be quite rare, but never actually looked up what they were called. I'm sure I will get a load of people thinking "SIGH, how does this guy not know!!" But hey. Be gentle.

Maybe an optional extra at the time? I was told they were the original wheels that came on the car.

Only have a VW stamp on the inside and some serial numbers.

Oh and yes, I resprayed them that colour. They were some really horrid grey, so I picked something a bit brighter. I'm not so sure.... Should have just gone moondust

often wondered if they made an estoril in 16" or 17" 5 stud. Would be superb, plus if they were 7J too. Any ideas anyone?

Good link there pfnsht!

I had them on an Oak Green 16V Golf that I bought in '97. They did look really good on it.

To Micky Blue, when new the scalloped sections by the holes were a darker grey than the rest of the wheel. Actually you can see it on the photos linked above.

Edited by VR6appeal

I had them on an Oak Green 16V Golf that I bought in '97. They did look really good on it.

To Micky Blue, when new the scalloped sections by the holes were a darker grey than the rest of the wheel. Actually you can see it on the photos linked above.

Yeah they look nice when the inner part is darker.

Found this old post which has them done like that: http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?94000-15-quot-4x100-estoril-alloys

Whilst doing some idle googling I came across this - maybe the wheels signify a special edition - The Jet 2 - they are pictured in the european publication below. Micky - how does the rest of your cars' spec compare?

http://techniqueg60.com/index.php/forum-techniqueg60/le-corrado-g60-a-la-loupe/38-6-les-series-limitees-du-corrado-g60

Good find! Not the same I'm afraid. Mines the common 2.0 16v model. Pretty standard.

Yeah they do look pretty sweet. When I picked my car up, the wheels were a real nasty grey colour. I'm guessing they were resprayed at some point before. May be selling my set, but not sure if I should respray them back to how they should be or just leave them as is.

The faces were originally diamond cut with contrasting darker grey paint in the scalloped sections. They corroded like mad as water tended to get under the lacquer. Mine were pretty well gone when I first got the car and it was 7 years old. They were standard fit on 2.0 16v cars from 92 to 94.

I got mine refurbished in normal paint and they lasted pretty well. I've now got some different wheels on the car but have kept hold of my set just in case.

Neil

The faces were originally diamond cut with contrasting darker grey paint in the scalloped sections. They corroded like mad as water tended to get under the lacquer. Mine were pretty well gone when I first got the car and it was 7 years old. They were standard fit on 2.0 16v cars from 92 to 94.

I got mine refurbished in normal paint and they lasted pretty well. I've now got some different wheels on the car but have kept hold of my set just in case.

Neil

Sweet. I don't think I will be returning them to the original look. I may be selling them but I can't see it adding much value, and if I keep them, I like them as they are.

I know the hassle of diamond cut wheels. I refurb them on a regular basis but we don't have a diamond cutting/ milling machine, so we bare metal the face and then re-create the effect as best we can, then use a special clear coat. They are a massive pain though. I'd say 20% of all (fairly new) cars we have in (that have diamond cuts) there is some level of corrosion.

Sweet. I don't think I will be returning them to the original look. I may be selling them but I can't see it adding much value, and if I keep them, I like them as they are.

I know the hassle of diamond cut wheels. I refurb them on a regular basis but we don't have a diamond cutting/ milling machine, so we bare metal the face and then re-create the effect as best we can, then use a special clear coat. They are a massive pain though. I'd say 20% of all (fairly new) cars we have in (that have diamond cuts) there is some level of corrosion.

Diamond cut are a nightmare to be honest, triple the cost and most refurbers make a right hash of them , after 6 months you can expect milking where water gets under the laquer, just a slight knock from changing the tyres or anything like that. The only thing is though a diamond cut outer rim gives a wheel a nice deep dish look with the shade contrast. Why dont you consider using a silver spray on the outer rim and a slighter darker shade on the main wheel. I have some staggerd AMG Mononblocks from the old hammer days and spent £650 6 months ago and already starting to milk up from poor laquer I guess, and the refurber had the wheel back twice at the time as the diamond cut rim was sharp and rough, It could of slit your finger open it was that sharp and jagged to be honest, in the end I gave up and thought I wont be using this ,?rick again. Amazingly he had a photo of the head member of BMW Forum on the front of his website and told me he was ex Airforce and the best in the game, well diamond cut was well beyond his skills. Also for those who do not know you can only diamond cut an alloy twice as it can determine the strength of the alloy the more you diamond cut away the weaker the stregnth of the alloy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96274[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96276[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo