Keyo

Black magic returns home

It happens to us all, my headlights packed in in the week, so I’ll be spending the afternoon finding out why this is.

It happens to us all, my headlights packed in in the week, so I’ll be spending the afternoon finding out why this is.

My drivers side headlight packed in the other week mate, I replaced the yellow fuse inline on the uprated loom and relay and all good now thankfully. Also gave the contacts on the battery from uprated loom a good electric clean.

Edited by Keyo

I’m hoping mines the same or a plug come loose. I found this out when going for a test run after changing rear discs and bearings, while doing this I also noticed that on one side the handbrake isn’t working properly so ideally need new callipers as well now, but they are 28 years old. Sometimes though it gets on your nerves.

Yep all extra money will going on my Corrado this year grump grump ha. The inline fuse water can get into the casing it houses into - I shrink wrapped my new one with electric tape, the handmade battery bags off ebay, if you could ask the seller to make a pouch on the front of the battery bag with a flap you could put all the relays and fuse in there to protect it.

Oh man, I just read your last update. That kind of made me sad to see you were considering selling the car. Why?? You've done so much work and a huge investment to get it to this point. It's one of the nicest car out there and I though you were going to keep it forever! Anyways, good luck with your next steps. Cheers

On 4/15/2019 at 1:51 PM, pfnsht said:

Well I'm now booked in for early June at Stealth, but I'm not going to go as far as you (he says haha) as have chains, head refurb and clutch as primary jobs which will take dent out of the budget. Will do suspension anf engine bushes, track rods, driveshafts, brakes, abs pump...

I like your exhaust. Tempted!

... plus exhaust then.

Thanks Toby. 

Pictures loading and can also edit.  Loving the new platform. 

rado260.jpg

rado261.jpg

rado88.jpg

RAdo100 (2).jpg

Edited by Keyo

Looking forward to getting these fitted . Hopefully work as purchased second hand. 

VDO1.jpg

Very helpful skilled member off here  made me this as I destroyed my old one glueing it back on to the gearknob. Nice little mod at the bottom to match my decals. Numbers are the same as OE pattern.  Word of advise if your OE pattern falls of the knob replace it back on with double sided tape as normal liquid glue bleeds through to the pattern decal and bubbles it up. 

86460026_562973421094067_835300520790222

Edited by Keyo

Nice touch! I did the same with mine when I replaced the leather. Luckily managed to get one from eBay and used contact adhesive to glue it down. 👍

16 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Nice touch! I did the same with mine when I replaced the leather. Luckily managed to get one from eBay and used contact adhesive to glue it down. 👍

Thanks Sean. 

I stuck it back on then a few seconds later I thought never seen that mark on the pattern before before, then it just bubbled right in front of me and I swore loudly ha ! 

I can imagine! Swearing always helps relieve the stress of owning a Corrado when things don't go to plan - which is pretty often! 😆

47 minutes ago, Keyo said:

These leather  OE gear knobs have been obsolete for some time I believe. 

I have ordered one off this seller - looks like new old stock. 

Ill give an update if the goods/ transaction/ delivery was as advertised.

http://www.sparesdeals.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=84_86&product_id=290

Yeah they've been obsolete for around 5 years now I think. Those are the correct ones but pretty expensive if you consider shipping, import duty and tax too. I got replacement leather for mine and did a pretty reasonable job of replacing it and tucking in by the badge (the second time round after having the same issue with the foil coming off the numbers like you). I managed to get a NOS badge luckily but must admit, I'd prefer a proper one. Wish I'd got in on the steering wheel group buy a few years ago too!

42 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Yeah they've been obsolete for around 5 years now I think. Those are the correct ones but pretty expensive if you consider shipping, import duty and tax too. I got replacement leather for mine and did a pretty reasonable job of replacing it and tucking in by the badge (the second time round after having the same issue with the foil coming off the numbers like you). I managed to get a NOS badge luckily but must admit, I'd prefer a proper one. Wish I'd got in on the steering wheel group buy a few years ago too!

Not to late Sean it was 63 including delivery. Let me update the thread and say yeah good seller or neah skank seller. 

Edited by Keyo

Trying to ignore this the best I can. 

Edited by Keyo
  • Like 1

Nice - but sooooo pricey! Haven't seen any pictures of one fittend to a C yet - are you going to be the first Keyo?

Not at the moment mate got an engine rebuild booked in March - however I will keep on eye on it and if it comes to around £300 I will go for it. Cant see it not looking correct. 

Edited by Keyo

Me too - once I have the cash (if ever) I'll inevitably have to buy one! Thought your engine was rebuilt previously or in good nick?

The chains were done about 5000 miles ago by the last owner and have the receipts etc. Unfortunately my car started drinking oil and also smoking out of the exhaust intermittently mainly on idle after driving, could just be a case of bad valve seals letting the oil pass through then burning off. After consulting Vince he advised me to go the full hog which will be. 

Honed bores machined 3 litres(He does not like relinning cylinders as he said the VR block does not take to that well)

New pistons to match the larger 3.0 CC (each bore measured to each  piston exact)

New timing chain and guides

Top of head skimmed and gasket etc

Tappets and seals

Also various other things whilst in there that I'm not sure of yet that will be getting changed. 

Schrick taken off and polished.

Basically a full bottom and top end rebuild

Should pull like a train when complete with a 3.0 litre engine and Schrick. Tempted to get some Schrick cams as well.  

Edited by Keyo

Well at least it should be really solid and go like a rocket after that - what is the financial damage estimate for all that likely to be?

I need to start looking at chains and clutch myself, and a bit afraid to look too much into the engine condition - I've got 105k on mine, what mileage is on yours?

I've no smoke under acceleration or idle - just a bit of white when starting up until warm.

My car had a rebuild on 62k for some reason and now on 160k on the clock  . So this will be the second rebuild. 

Its the oil consumption that is the dead give away, had it on a 911 before on 62k miles and got the bores boroscoped, hey presto scored cylinders, one of several of Porsche's catastrophic engine failures in low mileage M996 and M997 engines. .  Corrado Top end probably up to 1.5- 2 K with chains  and top and bottom around or just below the 4K region. Thing is one could give it a go but I reckon there are fair few that did that and it backfired on them literally. Vince was telling me about how they measure each piston preciesy and then hone each bore out individually,- never take for granted the precision engineered parts supplied, you need to check the measurements yourself or in my case Vince will . 

I'm not expert on the figures but hoping with 3.0 litres and schrick manifold + 263 Schrick cams+ Map I might be able to achieve 240 BHP but have no idea to be quite honest. Anyone out there have an educated guess on what the above set up would achieve? 

Edited by Keyo

7 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Nothing sounds wrong with your engine. 

My car had a rebuild on 62k for some reason and now on 160k on the clock  . So this will be the second rebuild. 

Its the oil consumption that is the dead give away, had it on a 911 before on 62k miles and got the bores boroscoped, hey presto scored cylinders, one of several of Porsche's catastrophic engine failures in low mileage M996 and M997 engines. .  Corrado Top end probably up to 1.5- 2 K with chains  and top and bottom around or just below the 4K region. Thing is one could give it a go but I reckon there are fair few that did that and it backfired on them literally. Vince was telling me about how they measure each piston preciesy and then hone each bore out individually,- never take for granted the precision engineered parts supplied, you need to check the measurements yourself or in my case Vince will . 

I'm not expert on the figures but hoping with 3.0 litres and schrick manifold + 263 Schrick cams+ Map I might be able to achieve 240 BHP but have no idea to be quite honest. Anyone out there have an educated guess on what the above set up would achieve? 

Just got off the phone to Vince and he recommends  268 cams for a Schrick VGI set up as 263 cams are more low down and the VGI does that job and  no benefits, so 268 cams will get the high end for me so that is what I will go for. Hoping to achieve 230 BHP but the engine will have to settle in first for at least 5000 miles to see its full potential. Also its no going to 3.0 litres as you would have to forge the pistons- just an increase from 2,861 CC to 2,900 CC so true 2.9  

Edited by Keyo