Keyo

Black magic returns home

Your all making the right comments but what I call a proper Gemini VWMS gearbox would be to harsh for me - straight cut and dog leg that is hardcore track and noisey - what an amazing bit of engineering though and a asset to have this company in the UK 

Watch this video of the lucky seller who found this on a red corrado G60 at the scrappers. No dealt was a member on here once ??  lot of chatter go to 11.00. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3AzsLhCNzE

In fact on my window shopping I came across this piece gem - o2o Mk2  full boar straight cut dogleg 6 speed - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/020-Motorsport-Dog-box-With-Kazza-Diff-Gearbox-Rare-Mk1-Golf-Mk2-Golf-G60/254841976910?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

Edited by Keyo

2 minutes ago, Dox said:

Do you follow Gas n Gears (Martin emmett / Hotgolf) on fb?

(2) Gas N Gears Ltd. | Facebook

I have seen some of his videos - top of his game and good watch. I must add though Vince use to work for Andre at Gemini so very knowledgeable and use to build the doglegs up.  

On 2/9/2021 at 8:38 PM, seanl82 said:

He'll reveal all within the next few days, won't be able to help himself with the excitement! 😜

So you know me to well Sean ! 

Today I had the pleasure of meeting Andre owner of Gemini Transmissions - had a good chat with him and about his history with VW- he really is there go to for any gearbox tech dilemma- he was telling me in the 80s how he saved there ass on the Rallye gearing and he was royalty there for a few years- also on his 2000s Jetta diesel he has a VW prototype ecu and getting 125 mpg - he showed me his average mpg on his clock - also showed me a De Tomaso gearbox that he built cost 58k for a Hong Kong Consortium - really is top of his game- his in his 70s now and really hope his knowledge and company stays around for future generations. 

This is  the first add on to my project which Im calling  Tempest - the build is based on genuine vag/Vwms parts that would of been available to the engineers at the time if it was not for the accountants only spraying a grill and adding a decal to call special edition. 

a violent windy storm.
"a raging tempest"

as its a bit stronger then a storm (sorry couldn't help that puke )  . Dox caught on to this pretty early. When other parts arrive I will update. 

GENUINE VW Motorsport/ Gemini Transmissions
Helical 6th add on gear kit for 02A / 02J Gear Box
Ratios
---------------- 5TH 6TH
OPTION 1 - (0.79) (0.75)

Pictures below are some of the drilling to casing which allows lubrication - Andre said many a race team had not done this and cause premature failure. 

gear.jpg

gear1.jpg

gear2.jpg

gear3.jpg

Edited by Keyo

3 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Speechless !!

Call me Shaun over the weekend mate if you want a chat about one 👍

This all looks fantastic Keyo! 

I can tell these parts look like some part of VW racing history and definitely looks stunning. But because I'm somewhat new to this would you mind educating me about it so I have a better grasp of what I am looking at?

This is what I think it so far: this is an "add-on" that bolts to the transmission and allow you to install a 6th gear. Obviously Volkswagen Motor Sports. The first part you showed us is the new "box" for the shifter inside allowing for 6 gear shift. Is it beefier? On what is what used for? Tell me more please! 

Cheers 

That is exactly what it is mate an add on that gives you better driving experience in 5 th gear and also adds on 6 th gear- yes it bolts on to corrado 02a gearbox but you need to drill a few holes in casing to allow good lubrication. 

Gemini were contracted by VWMS to build there special racing gearboxes- his based in the South/ Midlands UK and this is no surprise as its like the silicon valley for motorsport - rally - formula one etc many business around there like Prodrive etc.

My VWMS kit is Helical cut which is nicer and more tame/quiet for a road car   - Gemini is also famous for their legendary straight cut dogleg gearboxes for track cars which get you straight into the power range with no wastage and time lost- these are very noisy and harsh for road car though. 

Here is one of there famous dogleg boxes 1-6 second hand for mk2 golf. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/020-Motorsport-Dog-box-With-Kazza-Diff-Gearbox-Rare-Mk1-Golf-Mk2-Golf-G60/254841976910?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l914

Edited by Keyo

Thank you very much for the information Keyo, much appreciated. This is definitely a super nice piece, there must be only a few just like the VWMS intake?

New old stock the chap had in his shop? Im assuming you will install a limited slip differential with it? You will be upgrading to a 02J shifter I'm assuming as well? I did and it's pretty straight forward " I think I made the list of parts needed on the forum". I don't have 6 speeds but I'm upgrading to a 3.94 ring and pinion, a 0.75 5th gear and a lsd. 

Here in Canada there's a company who make an integration kit to bolt a O2M 6 speed transmission but I'm not a huge fan of the extra weight, crazy expensive custom drive shafts etc... But what you have it's definitely the pinnacle and I didn't even know it existed! That would also be the only thing I would upgrade to "if I could". Sometimes I wish I lived in Europe! 

That's amazing you've found that! Cheers mate

This is the integration kit for the 02M 6 speed I was talking about :

https://www.fablessmanufacturing.com/products/vr6-02m-complete-mount-kit-vw-mk2-corrado?_pos=2&_sid=c4e491e8d&_ss=r&variant=32690254872673

But it looks nothing like OEM, the 02M is heavy, the axles are like a $1000 for both I think... Not for me but I wouldn't mind what you have 😉

Cheers! 

22 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

This is the integration kit for the 02M 6 speed I was talking about :

https://www.fablessmanufacturing.com/products/vr6-02m-complete-mount-kit-vw-mk2-corrado?_pos=2&_sid=c4e491e8d&_ss=r&variant=32690254872673

But it looks nothing like OEM, the 02M is heavy, the axles are like a $1000 for both I think... Not for me but I wouldn't mind what you have 😉

Cheers! 

All the links have been changed in the bay and I have new gear box fork so should be nice- I wont have 6 on gear stick decal but I know its there ha. 

He has some VWMS casings left but not many- I purchased it because it will be uniformed with my project and I'm also a fan of VW motorsport . 

Here are the ratio options 

---------------- 5TH 6TH
OPTION 1 - (0.79) (0.75)
OPTION 2 - (0.95) (0.84)
OPTION 3 - (0.95) (0.75)
OPTION 4 - (0.95) (0.79)

I took option 1 as of advice from Vince at stealth as instructed for road use.  Option 1 has ran out I had the last one but other three options available. He is  commercial business and does not deal with the public at most- but drop me a private PM and I can help- 

Edited by Keyo

ABV you get every thing in picture but he normally likes you to give long piece furthest right bottom corner as exchange because he mods it for 6 gears. 

vvvvv.jpg

The next parts to be added to my mini project Tempest. 

Japan VWMS Momo steering wheels . 

Took me a year to identify the steering wheels- manufactured in 1992 - finally one day saw one on ebay through visual identification from Russia- next day another one popped up from Belgium- one had an Alpina decal and the other was blank so I proceeded to get the VWMS decals made- by the way this is all VWMS did was get the decals made as the steering wheel is a top of the range Momo used on JDM specials and Lambo - was used by Motor Tuning  houses as could just put their own decal on the Momo. 

How nice are those 4 stud VWMS alloys !!! 

To be continued. 

steer1.png

steer2.jpg

vwww.jpg

Edited by Keyo

I've always had an issue with 4 stud and 5 spokes, its why I went with centre cap style wheels on my MK2, 5 stud and 6 spoke give me the same issue too.

I do like the period steering wheel though

9 minutes ago, Dox said:

I've always had an issue with 4 stud and 5 spokes, its why I went with centre cap style wheels on my MK2, 5 stud and 6 spoke give me the same issue too.

I do like the period steering wheel though

Thanks Dox, 

The question is I have some balck and white decals as well same as the vento motorsport decals. I also have a decal for the gear knob. Do I go with black and blue like in brochure- white and blue - or black and white to match the alloy wheel decals. ????????   

By the way I highly recommend this seller from Esty - turned them out delivered under 2 weeks  and pretty good value at 4 handmade decals any logo and resin for £17 delivered. 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/875592255/metal-stickers-custom-car-wheels-center

Badge below he made. 

decc.jpg

You cant see the steering wheel and the road wheels at the same time once fitted so I'd match the horn push to the interior?

Personally I'd order black with silver logo for an understated look.

Just now, Dox said:

You cant see the steering wheel and the road wheels at the same time once fitted so I'd match the horn push to the interior?

Personally I'd order black with silver logo for an understated look.

Probably will go with black rather the white as that is more Mk2 era then rado. 

6 minutes ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Black and silver for your car I think. 
Black and blue for mine 😉

Ha the spare one is for my the mantle piece above my fire and will sit next to a few other style wheels - beats some naf ornaments- however good pictures there and left link to seller who has made the decal so let the hunt begin - cheaper to buy the wheel and decal because what would one of these sell to for complete - probably daft money . If anyone finds one feel free to pm and I will confirm its a correct wheel. 

Edited by Keyo