Keyo

Black magic returns home

Late Mk3 VR6 had 288s - probably a  bit scarce on the ground. They fit easily under standard 15" Speedlines, but not as well with other OEM BSS - I have flat multi-spokes on at the moment, same as these, https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-bbs-wheel-15815.html  and they just about fit with 288s, depending on the car you might need to shave the callipers slightly. The VR6 Golf basket weave BBS, similar to the G60 ones, that were standard on US spec Corrados and an option in Europe don't fit with the larger brakes - I haven't checked yet to see what could be done about it apart from a trial fitting. Pity, as they look nice.

You must be looking to upgrade the brakes soon though - with those 16" Speedlines you could go for any number of twin or four pot setups, or 312s. I guess the issue is when you want to but the standard wheels back on.

The other thing to remember (and often forgotten) with 288s is that the space saver won't fit, so you either need to carry a full size spare or move one of the rear wheels to the front if you get a blow-out or puncture on either of the fronts.

6 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Late Mk3 VR6 had 288s - probably a  bit scarce on the ground. They fit easily under standard 15" Speedlines, but not as well with other OEM BSS - I have flat multi-spokes on at the moment, same as these, https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-bbs-wheel-15815.html  and they just about fit with 288s, depending on the car you might need to shave the callipers slightly. The VR6 Golf basket weave BBS, similar to the G60 ones, that were standard on US spec Corrados and an option in Europe don't fit with the larger brakes - I haven't checked yet to see what could be done about it apart from a trial fitting. Pity, as they look nice.

You must be looking to upgrade the brakes soon though - with those 16" Speedlines you could go for any number of twin or four pot setups, or 312s. I guess the issue is when you want to but the standard wheels back on.

The other thing to remember (and often forgotten) with 288s is that the space saver won't fit, so you either need to carry a full size spare or move one of the rear wheels to the front if you get a blow-out or puncture on either of the fronts.

Very valid points there I do like a space saver to get me out the crap - what is the braking performance in real terms -does it out weight the loaded weight added to the axles. I do like to put on the stock 15 - but I suppose the ones to fit would be the AP 4 pots that match the vento kit. 

Edited by Keyo

On the brakes, not sure how up to date this is re part numbers:

There was also a more recent one as well, of a build with plenty of photos.

42 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Very valid points there I do like a space saver to get me out the crap - what is the braking performance in real terms -does it out weight the loaded weight added to the axles. I do like to put on the stock 15 - but I suppose the ones to fit would be the AP 4 pots that match the vento kit. 

I think people's experiences vary - on mine, you don't really notice much difference until you press down really hard or have to stop - and then they kick in. The pad has a much larger area, so this makes a difference. I think the efficiency of the braking will still be limited by the other components, and the pedal travel is still long and soft. It would be interesting to see if you replaced the servo, vacuum piping and master cylinder with new ones at the same time what the end result would be.

At the end of the day, it won't come close to a MkV or newer, and part of this is pure mechanical advantage at the pedal/servo, but 288s are the largest that will fit under stock wheels, which is why it is the most common upgrade.

Just use the standard space saver on the rear, swap the rear to the front of you get a front puncture? 

9 minutes ago, Dox said:

Just use the standard space saver on the rear, swap the rear to the front of you get a front puncture? 

Does the extra increase in sizr brakes put more pressure on an all ready temperamental abs sytem I wonder ?  I imagine Dox its not as noticeable as the 266 mm upgrade to g60 280 mm in a mk2 golf ? 

1 hour ago, fendervg said:

Mk4 288s are the same as late mk3 - no spacer needed as long as you use mk3 late disks. 

you’ll need banjo hoses either mk3 (I think mk4 are also the same?) or braided etc. 

If you go 312s you can only use a mk4 disk and you’ll need 6mm spacers

Just now, Keyo said:

Does the extra increase in sizr brakes put more pressure on an all ready temperamental abs sytem I wonder ?  I imagine Dox its not as noticeable as the 266 mm upgrade to g60 280 mm in a mk2 golf ? 

Pistons are the same size 54mm

I went 239mm to 280mm on my mk2 and the difference was staggering ( I had to fit the larger 22mm master cylinder). 

I used Pagid fast road pads and Bradi plain disks 

3 minutes ago, Dox said:

Mk4 288s are the same as late mk3 - no spacer needed as long as you use mk3 late disks. 

you’ll need banjo hoses either mk3 (I think mk4 are also the same?) or braided etc. 

If you go 312s you can only use a mk4 disk and you’ll need 6mm spacers

Ok thanks Dox- maybe I just get a set of the 288 mm - i think the  stock brakes can catch you out in real high ??? speeds approaching slow traffic as we are so you use to more modern brakes. 

1 minute ago, Dox said:

I went 239mm to 280mm on my mk2 and the difference was staggering ( I had to fit the larger 22mm master cylinder). 

I used Pagid fast road pads and Bradi plain disks 

That is the best upgrade in all the vag classics for sure. 

I’ve got 312 and 288 carriers and callipers to use as exchange units if needed.

312 disks are heavy, I went 288 to 312 on a mk4 and couldn’t really tell the difference tbh.

I also have a full Diavia aircon set up still gassed up.

You can have first refusal.

Should be Stealth Obsession btw

14 minutes ago, Keyo said:

That is the best upgrade in all the vag classics for sure. 

i would beg to differ that my HiSpec 4 pots are a much better option than any sliding caliper options 😉 lol

9 minutes ago, Dox said:

I’ve got 312 and 288 carriers and callipers to use as exchange units if needed.

312 disks are heavy, I went 288 to 312 on a mk4 and couldn’t really tell the difference tbh.

I also have a full Diavia aircon set up still gassed up.

You can have first refusal.

Should be Stealth Obsession btw

Stealth obsession for the name of the build ? I quite like Tempest as its a bit stronger then a storm . Im done spending for the time beign but very tempted for the callipers. 

2 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

i would beg to differ that my HiSpec 4 pots are a much better option than any sliding caliper options 😉 lol

They sound good all right- I noticed the Audi 80 came with a 280 mm  double pot. 

4 minutes ago, Keyo said:

They sound good all right- I noticed the Audi 80 came with a 280 mm  double pot. 

definitely one of the best upgrades out of all of the ones ive put on the VR6

50 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Stealth obsession for the name of the build ? I quite like Tempest as its a bit stronger then a storm . Im done spending for the time beign but very tempted for the callipers. 

Tempest - A violent windy storm. 

I never realised the relevance, good call 

55 minutes ago, Keyo said:

What’s the Diavia worth? You’ve probably done more research on oe parts than anyone ever?

30 minutes ago, Dox said:

What’s the Diavia worth? You’ve probably done more research on oe parts than anyone ever?

I would say individual the parts would cost a bomb brand new- I mean Ive never seen one advertised but its one of the biggest complaints in a corrado - sticky leather- Im just guessing now but for 1k would be worth every penny especially for a corrado owner that does European tours or lives in a hot climate . 

1 hour ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

definitely one of the best upgrades out of all of the ones ive put on the VR6

Kamei no1 mate come on. 

15 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Kamei no1 mate come on. 

ha ha ha why thank you kind sir - & yes, brakes 2nd to the X1 kit you are correct 😄

I put the 288s on at Xmas. Definitely a great upgrade that allowed me to fit under the speedlines and stop the car better. 

9 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I put the 288s on at Xmas. Definitely a great upgrade that allowed me to fit under the speedlines and stop the car better. 

Damn sounds like it another job at some point !

Yes you need this upgrade. Great way to keep it OE but better. And colour them as you like. Unless there is a rare motorsport version that you can find. 20201227_164606.jpg