Keyo

Black magic returns home

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

Thanks Shaun . 

Just the  cable end fuse box for the motors - red live single pin and the brown single pni- clearly when stripped from car they just chopped off the fuse box end for convenience I suppose- have already sourced the fuse box connector 161 937 501 that the fuse goes into.  All ready have the stock heated loom in place so all good on that. 

Need part number 701906231 live red  + 3A0 922751 brown earth 

Picture below of the plugs I need if anyone can help- thanks. 

Anyone know what fuse it should take ? Is it a 20A yellow fuse by chance ? Thanks 

plug.png

I’ll have a dig in the garage tomorrow, no promises but I might turn something up.

Edited by tonedef

21 minutes ago, tonedef said:

I’ll have a dig in the garage tomorrow, no promises but I might turn something up.

Ok thanks td and dox for link. The only other fault apart from that is the heater element cable is looping quite far out of the seat )6 inches ) on the back reat and I don't think the heating is working on that one- you can still buy an early and late heat element for the back rest but don't know how old my seats though the stock seat heated looms plug into the base plug on the recaro- am I correct in saying the stock heat loom should work with the recaro ? ? Thanks 

Something iffy going on here= this would of been the drivers seat because LHD model.  Cannot see cable on the other seat it is hidden - butcher been at play by the looks of it.

cc.jpg

Edited by Keyo

I thought the Recaro ones were still available,  as I fitted them in mine. Well a seat man fitted them, I did the wiring. They come with the bare connections on.

I'm sure you will find them mate

I couldn’t find any recaro ones for mine so I fitted some from a Golf. I had to trim the bolster part of the base elements off and rejoin the loop as the seat cushion is a separate part in the recaro seat but not in the Golf. Problem with modern elements is that they’re a carbon mat rather than copper wire loop which apparently won’t work with traditional controllers, or so I was told!

13 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I thought the Recaro ones were still available,  as I fitted them in mine. Well a seat man fitted them, I did the wiring. They come with the bare connections on.

I'm sure you will find them mate

There are two options available  but only for the back rest not the seat pad .  No 4  on diagram.  No 1 must be obsolete as cant find them. 

Late  535963557A

early 535963557B

http://www.oemepc.com/tvn_result/search/tvn/535963557A

My heated seats are working same as my stock ones but barley lukewarm. Was wondering I fitted a new heated seat switch with the 5 settings - my relays are working and can hear them clicking when turned on - is it possible old relays do not respond on higher settings due to getting on a bit ? 

Edited by Keyo

2 minutes ago, tonedef said:

I couldn’t find any recaro ones for mine so I fitted some from a Golf. I had to trim the bolster part of the base elements off and rejoin the loop as the seat cushion is a separate part in the recaro seat but not in the Golf. Problem with modern elements is that they’re a carbon mat rather than copper wire loop which apparently won’t work with traditional controllers, or so I was told!

Ok TD tanks for the info - I think that cable hanging out the backrest must be from one of the motors as to chuny for a heat loom. 

This is refreshing my brain. Did the leathers come with the heating pad attached..... 

Pictured of where my motor loom had been cut off.  All the rest intact. 

loom_LI.jpg

Edited by Keyo

1 minute ago, Cressa said:

This is refreshing my brain. Did the leathers come with the heating pad attached..... 

Lost me there chap . They are Recaro heated and drivers luke warm and I the passenger just about working. . 

I would say that cable hanging out is a new motor put in at some point and they took a crude shortcut prehaps. 

9 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Lost me there chap . They are Recaro heated and drivers luke warm and I the passenger just about working. . 

Some heated seat elements are part of the seat cover, not separate. If you can wait until the weekend I can look through my receipts for the part numbers of the separate ones that I purchased.  

But I'm sure by then you will have sorted it.

Even new they dont get as hot as a modern heated seat unfortunately 

7 hours ago, Cressa said:

Some heated seat elements are part of the seat cover, not separate. If you can wait until the weekend I can look through my receipts for the part numbers of the separate ones that I purchased.  

But I'm sure by then you will have sorted it.

Even new they dont get as hot as a modern heated seat unfortunately 

Had no ides chap= not had the leatherettes of so who knows whats# is lurking underneath - hopefully as they came from Amsterdam a huge bag of narcotics so I can get a bit of a rebate off them ha joke!.  Ok chap any help is useful and I wouldn't mind knowing if relays are not performing as they should allowing higher settings on switch. Thanks 

Edited by Keyo

It’s took a while, but it just come to me because of what you are trying out Keyo. 

I've never tried to test my seats heating, tested seat switches and power movements 9 years ago. Never even bothered me as it lives in a garage now and before mostly summer miles but not many. So heated seats hasn’t been a priority. 

It is now

sometimes this forum creates missions 

OK, first things first, I believe I've got your plugs. Red plug is just as you say, 701 906 231, the brown plug was paired with it in the loom I've chopped it from and it looks exactly like the one in your photo but the number is 3A0 972 751 H, I've zoomed in as far as possible on your photo and it looks like it could read that as the number is right on the edge and you can't really see the base of the 2. Unless you're anywhere near M1 J30 on a running in journey, PM me your address and I'll stick them in the post.

Next the wiring. Only the heating wire runs up into the backrest as both motors are in the base, the wire you're looking at should run down behind the side trim to the hinge and then come out of the cover underneath to the plugs. I expect yours has broken at the hinge some time and been shortened, you could probably just extend the wire and reconnect it.

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg

31 minutes ago, tonedef said:

OK, first things first, I believe I've got your plugs. Red plug is just as you say, 701 906 231, the brown plug was paired with it in the loom I've chopped it from and it looks exactly like the one in your photo but the number is 3A0 972 751 H, I've zoomed in as far as possible on your photo and it looks like it could read that as the number is right on the edge and you can't really see the base of the 2. Unless you're anywhere near M1 J30 on a running in journey, PM me your address and I'll stick them in the post.

Next the wiring. Only the heating wire runs up into the backrest as both motors are in the base, the wire you're looking at should run down behind the side trim to the hinge and then come out of the cover underneath to the plugs. I expect yours has broken at the hinge some time and been shortened, you could probably just extend the wire and reconnect it.

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg

32 minutes ago, tonedef said:

IMG_3493.jpeg

IMG_3494.jpeg

Great news I will send you a pm as your about 2 hrs from me I think as in Brum . I’ll pm you address later and payment . Cheers also great info . 

6 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

It’s took a while, but it just come to me because of what you are trying out Keyo. 

I've never tried to test my seats heating, tested seat switches and power movements 9 years ago. Never even bothered me as it lives in a garage now and before mostly summer miles but not many. So heated seats hasn’t been a priority. 

It is now

sometimes this forum creates missions 

Yeah agreed not essential just the movement- got to admit i would be happy if the seats came manual fromfactory - less to go wrong .  

Used what I had left of the loom and plugged them in - got a 20 inline and  fuse and attached the loom to a spare battery- all motors and switches working-   not eating the steering wheel now thank god and seats are so much better then stock for support now in my driving position!

On 6/16/2020 at 9:15 PM, tonedef said:

Thanks Tony  👍plugs arrived today and they are spot on - will now be able to make the missing fuse box end- will be using a 20 amp fuse. 

Managed to get a centre console fitted what fiddly job  so getting there with the last few tweeks. , They should have put a metal frame in the centre of the dash and then a trim that clicked on ti - far to light duty to be fair. 

Now one of  my passenger bloomin fog lights seems to be not working - changed the bulb and still no joy - I imagine  the plug connector that might be eroded

Screws were very rusty that house the indicator and fog trim but managed to get them off . Going to get 8 screws N 0139649. and x8 speed nuts N90550701. 

Edited by Keyo

The metal tab in the fog light connector often needs pulling in a bit. Its like a springy tab so if there's not enough force on the bulb, it won't make a decent connection and won't work. Daves16v also sells a stainless kit of screws for the fogs & indictors too. 👍

Edited by seanl82

9 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

The metal tab in the fog light connector often needs pulling in a bit. Its like a springy tab so if there's not enough force on the bulb, it won't make a decent connection and won't work. Daves16v also sells a stainless kit of screws for the fogs & indictors too. 👍

Damn just purchased some speed nuts and screws from bloomin latvia off ebay ha. 

The clip is damn weird Im trying to work it out but dont  want to snap it - so odd why do they not just use the same clip in the headlight for the H3 bulb- they come up with some made stuff at vw.  👍

25 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Thanks Tony  👍plugs arrived today and they are spot on - will now be able to make the missing fuse box end- will be using a 20 amp fuse. 

Managed to get a centre console fitted what fiddly job  so getting there with the last few tweeks. , They should have put a metal frame in the centre of the dash and then a trim that clicked on ti - far to light duty to be fair. 

Now one of  my passenger bloomin fog lights seems to be not working - changed the bulb and still no joy - I imagine  the plug connector that might be eroded

Screws were very rusty that house the indicator and fog trim but managed to get them off . Going to get 8 screws N 0139649. and x8 speed nuts N90550701. 

You’re welcome fella, glad to be able to contribute at least a bit towards fitting the recaros!

The centre console must have been designed to creak, rattle and disintegrate, I think mine’s approaching equal parts plastic and araldite, every time it comes out another bit has to be glued together on the way back in!

48 minutes ago, tonedef said:

You’re welcome fella, glad to be able to contribute at least a bit towards fitting the recaros!

The centre console must have been designed to creak, rattle and disintegrate, I think mine’s approaching equal parts plastic and araldite, every time it comes out another bit has to be glued together on the way back in!

If its an early type with the vertical air vent slats lil fuzz (Chris Ferry) has 8 for sale in good nick £40.00 - late are a bastard to get hold of - swg would be capable of making them but there plastic finish does not look OE - they also make copies of the MK2 Votex centre console but look  sickly. 

21 hours ago, Keyo said:

If its an early type with the vertical air vent slats lil fuzz (Chris Ferry) has 8 for sale in good nick £40.00 - late are a bastard to get hold of - swg would be capable of making them but there plastic finish does not look OE - they also make copies of the MK2 Votex centre console but look  sickly. 

Based on the understanding that last Corrado off the line was SK004043, mine was 342 from last, definitely a late dash! I think it all started to go downhill when I replaced the heater controls with the Climatronic panel, it’s OK when it’s fitted though, I’ll pick one up one day.