Keyo

What 80's - 90s cars for sale have caught your eye recently.

Boxsters sound less troublesome then the 911 but I have to admit even though the engines can destroy the ownership experience does not mean I still don't want to own again ha ! Thinking about selling my Mk7 GTI for one but have to say the Mk7 golf is a great car in its own right and feels alot stronger then the 230 BHP mine has on the logbook.

Think the strongest/reliable engine I had in a car was a M113 5.0 V8 in my old Merc R129, have never ever heard of a gasket failure or score boring on this block , On the Merc forum they said that none had been rebuilt not sure if that is true, there is a supercharged version that does get a few issues. Also the M119 block V8 before the M113 is a tank. Truly one of the best engines ever made. Only catch most of them come with a Auto. damn I would of loved it if it was manual.

Edited by Keyo

Every car has it's issues but German ones in particular do seem to suffer from oversights and poor quality/engineering. You mention the Merc V8 engine, I can't remember the model but one of them had under specced head bolts causing head gasket leaks. There's the well documented Porsche engine woes and BMWs are terrible for rust and poor bodywork construction. Rusting E90/E92s and E46 rear axle carrier panels ripping off. Shoddy workmanship Ted! Not what you expect from an expensive car, but let's not go there with Italian stuff :lol:

Think that V8 was the block after the the M113 Kev or the supercharged version, I have heard of that to, merc engines are far to complex now and just silly amounts to go wrong.

Merc V8s do sound lovely though and according to LegitStreetCars on YouTube, not that difficult to fix.

They are really smooth V8 even better the V12 but not many knowledgeable mechanics out there that can work on them.

There was some really rare pre merger AMG R129's as well the Sl73 which was a 7.3 block V12 (the same engine that Zonda Used)Also an SL60 which was the V8 version, pretty rare stuff but you do see a SL60 come up occasionally but never a SL73.

This would be a dream car for me if I won the lottery, also I imagine this is now at a turning point, should average a rise of 5k a year in till it hits the 200k plus. If people are not sure what the GT2 version is, it's basically a turbo version lightweight with only rear drive so a real widowmaker . top of the range 911.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-911-GT2/283516465238?hash=item4202e5f056:g:vUkAAOSwiEpc2Tmg

Every car has it's issues but German ones in particular do seem to suffer from oversights and poor quality/engineering. You mention the Merc V8 engine, I can't remember the model but one of them had under specced head bolts causing head gasket leaks. There's the well documented Porsche engine woes and BMWs are terrible for rust and poor bodywork construction. Rusting E90/E92s and E46 rear axle carrier panels ripping off. Shoddy workmanship Ted! Not what you expect from an expensive car, but let's not go there with Italian stuff :lol:

I own an E61 now with the notorious N47 engine which is known for timing chain failure. So many horror stories. The blame apparently lays at BMW for making the timing chain about as thin as a bike chain (the 6 cylinder motors have one that is industrial thickness) and increasing the service interval to galactic mileage to appease fleet managers..

I am going to go with double frequency oil changes and just keep my ears open for any obvious changes in engine note.

I own an E61 now with the notorious N47 engine which is known for timing chain failure. So many horror stories. The blame apparently lays at BMW for making the timing chain about as thin as a bike chain (the 6 cylinder motors have one that is industrial thickness) and increasing the service interval to galactic mileage to appease fleet managers..

I am going to go with double frequency oil changes and just keep my ears open for any obvious changes in engine note.

A mechanic I was chatting to the other told me about one of his customers diesel BMW and the timing chain snapped, the customer was in a really crap situation as had only owned the car a few months, put them in a terrible dilemma cost for engine rebuild v selling car for little value.

I read it went for 80k!

Jesus Christ!! I'll have two. It did look very special though

Dread to think how much this sold for.

Watch the video, £85,640 with fees

Not sure it is USA spec but Is most certainly only for left hookers and were available in Europe , it is the Northern Ireland car that was for sale on here the last 12 months , now up for sale again .

yes not to far from me - the last seller inherited it from a deceased uncle if i remember, has had some work done to it to get it motd again

nice colour and spec. Those recaro seats i believe were only for the european mainland / german market - but i could be wrong!

yes not to far from me - the last seller inherited it from a deceased uncle if i remember, has had some work done to it to get it motd again

nice colour and spec. Those recaro seats i believe were only for the european mainland / german market - but i could be wrong!

It does look like good one don't it Geri, will be hard pushed to get one with that rare interior, good colour and lowish mileage, as long as the engine is ok because have to wonder why is the seller letting it go after such a short time.

I'm wondering what else the car has hidden away, maybe some VDO gauges in the cubby hole.

Up Sheffield way, I bet Shaun wouldn't mind a smooch at it for curiosity.

Edited by Keyo

Well, well, well.....s'funny I brought up the E30 235i Sport. https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/events/2019-auctions/nec-classic-motor-show-sale-2019/nec-classic-motor-show-sale-saturday-9th-sunday-10th-november-2019/2pm-saturday-9th-november-cars/1991-bmw-325i-e30-sport

£51K!!!

I wish I had a crystal ball sometimes! If I'd known 20-30 years ago that some of the sheds I was roaming around in would be worth a fortune in years to come, I would have restored and bubble wrapped them! It seems like old cars is where the moneys at these days, sod fine arts and antique jewellery!

What would you do with such a purchase though? Drive it and enjoy it, or just stick it in air conditioned garage and wait another 20 years before selling it on?

Anyone else would like one of these as another VAG car next to the Rado.

Think they look great in moonlight blue which is a rare colour apparently. Do prefer the interior with cloth and leather bolsters think its looks a bit much all leather. Very tempted to sell my Mk7 GTI P/P and get some money out of her to finish my golf and rado and bank some money and buy a car like this ha, just talking out the box really. Would be looking more around the 8-10 k mark for one. They have all the mod cons I would want and unlike my Mk7 golf will not lose value. Just an excuse to get another VR block in family to be honest lol.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-Volkswagen-Golf-3-2-R32-3dr/264490719670?hash=item3d94e019b6:g:J50AAOSwbv9dntWI

Edited by Keyo

Have to admit Ive got a little handkering for one of these. I miss the V6, Edition30 is brilliant at everything but sound crap IMO. I don't need a flaying machine. Thing is, with much of this stuff now, the prices are just too much for what the car is. A lot of rose tinted specs being worn these days.

Have to admit Ive got a little handkering for one of these. I miss the V6, Edition30 is brilliant at everything but sound crap IMO. I don't need a flaying machine. Thing is, with much of this stuff now, the prices are just too much for what the car is. A lot of rose tinted specs being worn these days.

I can see these cars doing really well and the closest thing to a Rallye as had quite an exaggerated body kit etc, only just over 2k examples sold in the UK so has all the hallmarks as a good investment. Also the example after that looked pretty ordinary and then they moved to the R model so it really is a quite rare car to be fair.

As an investment maybe your right. I looked at them start of the year and the few I did see were getting very rusty especially under the sills. Hard to beat the noise though. Part of me wants to keep my Ed30 as its a very capable car and easily tuned, just leaves me a little cold though.