Keyo

VR6 Inlet manifold , Gaskets, bolts and washers

Considering VW want £84.00 for just 17 bolts and washers for the stock 2.9 inlet manifold I thought I would have a bit of a search to see what was about.

Just purchased this kit, all in £40 delivered from Germany with a bonus of the gaskets, under half price of what VW wanted just for the bolts and washers alone.

Victor Reinz Upper metal gasket

Victor Reinz lower metal Gasket

17 stainless steel bolts and washers.

From German Ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manifold-Gasket-Intake-Manifold-Screws-VR6-2-8-2-9-Turbo-AAA-Abv-Inlet-Manifold/283515517287?fits=Model%3ACorrado&epid=249129981&hash=item4202d77967:g:weIAAOSwokJaWdeN

Result !

I've heard of stainless bolts pulling the threads out of alloy heads when being removed? Could be an urban myth, internet or FB rumour?

Ouch that sounds a bit of a horror story !

It says the bolts are galvanised not stainless steel sorry not sure if that makes a difference but the bolts look galvanised that are on there at the moment on the Shrick which is alloy.

The bolts I have ordered are for the stock inlet manifold

Can can still get the original bolts N0147263 + washers N01155811 but work out over a £5 each.

Edited by Keyo

Checked all existing bolts with a magnet and pulled one out and they all appear to be galvanised so I'm not concerned about the new bolts I have ordered.

Yes I seem to remember stainless on the engine is a 'no no' from my motor trade days - I seem to remember it was something to do with the way they handle vibration as well?

remember this is the inlet manifold not the engine head .

It was an inlet manifold dress up kit that someone linked to another forum, someone else then commented the stainless bolts when removed pulled the threads out of the alloy heads, I'd not heard of it before, or since come to that. Someone here used to sell the stainless bolt kits, maybe someone who bought one could comment?

I do believe alloy can react with other metals , but stainless steel is also a different composite make up of galvanised. Has anyone got a stock manifold bolt to hand, what is the material, is it gold/copper in colour or galvanised wouldn't mind knowing.

Cheers.

The original part number for the bolt is N 0147263, just spoke to VW and it has been superseded by part number N01472615 which comes in the form of Galvanised. Also remember these bolts are fitted with washers which also prevents the bolt from bonding in the thread somewhat.

I do believe alloy can react with other metals , but stainless steel is also a different composite make up of galvanised. Has anyone got a stock manifold bolt to hand, what is the material, is it gold/copper in colour or galvanised wouldn't mind knowing.

Cheers.

Stainless is a steel alloy with a minimum of 10.5% chromium according to Wikipedia.

Galv steel should be fine, stainless might be fine - I work in a dairy and have seen white powdery stuff when we pull stainless bolts passing through non stainless metals, but we pressure wash and use foams and disinfectants for cleaning.

Stainless is a steel alloy with a minimum of 10.5% chromium according to Wikipedia.

Galv steel should be fine, stainless might be fine - I work in a dairy and have seen white powdery stuff when we pull stainless bolts passing through non stainless metals, but we pressure wash and use foams and disinfectants for cleaning.

Hopefully mate. I was just wondering if the original bolts were like a hybrid copper bolt as Im sure I can see a bit of that blueish/green marking on some of the lower bolts.

Thats the factory thread lock colour!

Hi Sean,

I don't mean on the thread of the bolt , but on the bolt head, that greenish/ blue residue that copper produces when it starts to erode, so I'm thinking the original head bolt may have had a copper compound in it that was designed to be housed in an alloy thread hole and not to seize. .

Ah got you! Got to admit, I've seen it too though not too bad and never had any issue removing them. :thumbleft:

Stainless in aluminium isn't a good idea, due to galvanic corrosion. The bolts will cause the alloy to turn to powder over time.

Folks do these look like galvanised or stainless steel . I know galv can be shiny and dull .

Thanks .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97232[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97233[/ATTACH]

Edited by Keyo

The material type is usually stamped on the head of the bolt, just google the code

It says 8.8 C , nothin else.

High Tensile Steel Grade 8.8

For fasteners and fixings, high tensile steel is some of the best material on offer – and can be found in a number of homes and auto manufacturing.

Grade 8.8 high tensile steel is often referred to as the structural grade for bolts. It is the most common form of high tensile material and is usually stocked in plain finish or zinc. It can be plated in many other coatings.

For high tensile steel grade 8.8, a torque wrench will be required for the tightening of said product.

These products are built to last and work optimally under harsh usage and should be easily identifiable via a permanent marking on the head to allow the customer to differentiate them.

I’d have thought your parts were from a reputable source (rather than a king of bling)and should be ok.