gmaker

Leather or Cloth

What's the general view between leather or cloth?

I'm looking to buy a Corrado to re-live my younger years (had 3 of them many years ago) and wondered what people's views were between buying leather or cloth upholstery? In particular, is cloth less desirable and thus not hold it's value (or appreciate!!) as well as leather?

I was at the Charterhouse auction yesterday and saw the P-Reg provisionally sell for £20,800 - it was in very good condition and low mileage but was surprised, and disappointed, it reached that much!

Personally I'd buy the one with the best bodywork and change the interior for your preference.

Front wings, front fogs and indicators on late cars rare items, equally as hard to find as a VGC leather interior and more sought after.

You want the leather in black , even better the recaros in cloth or leather .

I guess this is personal preference really - as above, I'd definitely go on the overall condition of the rest of the car first. You can always buy a leather interior or get the cloth recovered in leather, which will be like brand new.

My opinion is that a a sports/luxury coupe it should have leather, and makes them more desirable - the cloth sometimes lets the VR down. The US ones had very nice half leather interiors.

The cloth patterns on the Corrado are pretty dull , that era was pretty gross design, some of the mk3 golf interiors to, they went backwards form great cloth designs in the MK2 golf.

I would wait in till a good came along with the leather personally as it's going to cost you a fair bit to get a full leather set.

Edited by Keyo

I have cloth but the patterns are not the best from the era. I wouldn't want full leather without aircon but the leather does look nice.

My plan is to retrim my interior half leather with a more interesting fabric for the centrea (houndstooth or something)

I’ve had a few Corrado’s

Cloth is ok

Leather is better and easier to keep clean.

Corrado Recaros are the comfiest on a long journey by far. Have leather so easy to keep presentable as well as comfy.

Saw a black corrado at Stealth a few weeks back with some dark grey recaros and they are the bees knees. My my car had front sport seats as an option on the boot sticker but realised all front seats seem to be described as this so my car never came with recaros as I thought it may had .

My take on this is that the Corrado was marketed as a Sports GT Coupe, and so the expectation should be for it to have leather.

Same reason they all should have had the additional VDO gauges from the factory.

There is a set of each on Ebay at the moment.

2.5k for black leather Recaros

1.6k for the cloth Recaros......

Personally, although I like the look of the leather and how easy it is to clean, leather is not fun in hot weather.

So my bias vote is for the cloth Recaro. And if you are really sad you can fit the heated seat elements to them

I've got retrimmed electric Recaros in dark grey leather, they are supremely comfortable for long journeys plus really easy to maintain with leather cleaner. Leather adds that feeling of luxury too.

Would agree that cloth Recaros would definitely be better during the summer months.

Some of the US cars had nice seats - there was a "red-dot" cloth trimmed in leather outers from what I can remember - now if they came in a heated/electric Recaro version....

The Canadian cars came with the half cloth Recaros, very very nice but extremely rare.

I’ll stick to my Grey Leather Recaros:)

Haha - you Recaro owners - so spoilt! ;) Spare a thought for us great unwashed with normal leather.

Haha - you Recaro owners - so spoilt! ;) Spare a thought for us great unwashed with normal leather.

:lol: I’ve also got Standard leather in my Storm, love all the leather seats:)

Leather for looks, cloth for comfort has always been my thoughts

I still haven't fitted the seats! They are in my bedroom - this missus is very patient.

Perhaps this week I'll get it done.

As for the thread - leather looks great, cloth is best for comfort and heat control and for me cloth recaro's with leather outers would be the ideal combo.

I still haven't fitted the seats! They are in my bedroom - this missus is very patient.

Perhaps this week I'll get it done.

You'll kick yourself for leaving it so long, IIRC it's only one bolt and the seat slides out :lol: