ChrisL

Moonlight Blue VR6

So not having a lot of spare time to work on the corrado but decided to have the rear bumper painted as the lacquer was peeling and there were a couple of rough areas.

also ended up filling in the towing eye.

47816ABF-54A3-428F-AA36-888742A7B884.jpeg

BC489589-5106-48FB-88DD-8072387E7137.jpeg

87064179-96C4-499C-A7A1-B8D3D59261A3.jpeg

😯 modifications!!!!

😆 In fairness, they're not very elegant and you would never miss it! About time we've had some progress since the garage has been finished! 👍

1 hour ago, seanl82 said:

😯 modifications!!!!

😆 In fairness, they're not very elegant and you would never miss it! About time we've had some progress since the garage has been finished! 👍

Yes, this is not going to be standard, more OEM+. Ideally get it to like the Blackberry one.

hopefully more progress soon 👍

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yes, this is not going to be standard, more OEM+. Ideally get it to like the Blackberry one.

hopefully more progress soon 👍

Sounds good Chris. I loved your Blackberry - tbf I've loved all your cars though! 👍

Boot floor cleaned. Few touch ups on the stone chip and treat some of the studs then ready for re-assembly

2D8E995D-5C51-4A76-8B2C-4B28987021F3.jpeg

On 11/4/2021 at 1:35 PM, seanl82 said:

Sounds good Chris. I loved your Blackberry - tbf I've loved all your cars though! 👍

Agreed. As an aside Chris any news on your previous cars?

Hasan

Ooo that is a good looking underside 🤩

Atleast you know it is in a great condition, well done 👍

2 hours ago, fla said:

Agreed. As an aside Chris any news on your previous cars?

Hasan

Cheers, they both sold at auction and fetched strong money. Think the storm went for around £27k

not sure where they both are now.

need to get this to the same standard.

5 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Ooo that is a good looking underside 🤩

Atleast you know it is in a great condition, well done 👍

Pleased with how clean it is really. Couple of bits to sort though.

7 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Cheers, they both sold at auction and fetched strong money. Think the storm went for around £27k

not sure where they both are now.

need to get this to the same standard.

I'm sure you will mate. Matching the colour of the underseal may be a bit of a challenge. I just painted it all instead! 😆

10 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

I'm sure you will mate. Matching the colour of the underseal may be a bit of a challenge. I just painted it all instead! 😆

Cheers Sean, did you spray all the underneath? Might be awkward to do in the garage.

a lot of the areas are covered by heat shields so might not be too bad. The original vw stuff isn’t available so got some dinitrol stuff that’s supposed to be like OEM 🤞

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Cheers Sean, did you spray all the underneath? Might be awkward to do in the garage.

a lot of the areas are covered by heat shields so might not be too bad. The original vw stuff isn’t available so got some dinitrol stuff that’s supposed to be like OEM 🤞

Yeah I used Dinitrol too. It's easy enough to get the texture the same as the factory stuff, but my underseal had yellowed quite a bit and was heavy with factory overspray. I went for white Dinitrol and it was too bright and obvious, so a heavier covering of overspray just made it look very patchy. As I had literally everything removed anyway, I just painted the lot!

43 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Yeah I used Dinitrol too. It's easy enough to get the texture the same as the factory stuff, but my underseal had yellowed quite a bit and was heavy with factory overspray. I went for white Dinitrol and it was too bright and obvious, so a heavier covering of overspray just made it look very patchy. As I had literally everything removed anyway, I just painted the lot!

Did you spray the underneath? If so did you use rattle cans? Did you lacquer it afterwards?

I'm thinking of the mess in trying to spray the floor as it is now.

What Dinitrol products are you using? I used Dinitrol 4941 in black under mine with a layer of wax (3351 i think it is) as primer layer. I did it with an aircompressor with their schultz cans.

I didn't realise they had a stonechip factory style product. I used Gravitex as the stonechip layer on mine with the air compressor but it isn't rubberised.  

Edited by MJA

I'd made a mistake with the products, it was Gravitex I used not Dinitrol. It is definitely rubberised though. I put it on with a brush after leaving it to go off slightly, so it was very thick and rubber like. You can get the texture right by layering and playing around with it at that stage.

ahh Gravitex is good - I found with either a brush or the air compressor & schultz I was able to get something that resembled factory. 

I use epoxy primer on the area before applying gravitex if it was a repair. If I had not given my car the dinitrol 4941 treatment prior to making some repairs I would have painted the gravitex to the factory colour I think but instead I carried on with the dinitrol over the top as an extra layer of waterproofing protection. It does mean my white car is now black underneath but I haven't gone really thick with it so you can still see all the joins under there. I've also not put it on the rear beam or subframe although you could do but just thought it might look a bit tacky.

I'm giving Lanoguard a try this year as annual top of top product - it's clear in colour.

Just now, ChrisL said:

This is going to take some time 🤦‍♂️

49B504B0-01CD-4B77-A921-0B9E896D629F.jpeg

Mate if its not peeling dont have to kill yourself taking it all off. That would be an horrific job but good luck with the job if you do. 

I nipped into jabba today whilst the frames were off and got to this bit - just surface rust - gave it wire wheel - krust- zink primer- followed by some stone chip - will seal once its all cured. Its had a few bits that ive had to wire wheel and treat . 

6A148A74-E9AE-48DE-9EC3-DC5498E5C3C0.jpeg

1F954A00-52D5-436D-BC94-775DD3D9AF78.jpeg

Edited by Keyo

20 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Mate if its not peeling dont have to kill yourself taking it all off. That would be an horrific job but good luck with the job if you do. 

Hi mate, I’m not taking the stone chip off, just cleaning all the oil and factory wax oil off. It’s perfect under the filth.

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Hi mate, I’m not taking the stone chip off, just cleaning all the oil and factory wax oil off. It’s perfect under the filth.

Few I was feeling for you then ha - how many miles has the moonlight blue done it looks like it seen a relatively easy life-  I think the biggest cause of bad rot is bad jacking and screen fitters- over sized alloys can cause some nastiness as well on the arches- I take a spare set of alloys now for tyre fitting as they always seem to jack the cars up with little regard to the under belly- saves a lot of stress. 

Edited by Keyo

38 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Few I was feeling for you then ha - how many miles has the moonlight blue done it looks like it seen a relatively easy life-  I think the biggest cause of bad rot is bad jacking and screen fitters- over sized alloys can cause some nastiness as well on the arches- I take a spare set of alloys now for tyre fitting as they always seem to jack the cars up with little regard to the under belly- saves a lot of stress. 

It’s got 92k miles on it. Seems pretty straight and honest really. Not had many owners and the last guy had it 10 years and barely used it.

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

This is going to take some time 🤦‍♂️

49B504B0-01CD-4B77-A921-0B9E896D629F.jpeg

Not sure what your blackberry was like when you began that one Chris, but it's a horrific job which I'm sure you understand! I had to do 2 passes of my underside and must have spent somewhere in the region of 30 hours cleaning it all. 

What are you guys using for the cleaning process? I've use a steam cleaner but not too much around the drain holes as don't want too much moisture in places it shouldn't go. Wondering if there is an "easier" way.