ChrisL

Our new home restoration!

Struck lucky here really, the neighbours are great. One of them didn’t even bat an eyelid when I told him I’d cracked his wall with the digger 😂 

thanks Kippy, if your ever running in Hull feel free to pop round, be good to see you.

With the roof on it was time to knock down and rebuild the external walls and put some insulation in the cavities.

933D62DF-A743-467F-840A-868FE149F6B3.jpeg

5FE46CB2-5082-4F07-A6B6-8148C61103DC.jpeg

96664089-EA03-4131-B37E-FB9333EC1196.jpeg

A1099765-D789-4BCE-81A5-7E0803E7211E.jpeg

763E1E28-F561-47A7-8B4F-64EDE7E6D65C.jpeg

0227DD18-32F1-45EE-883B-91B1DB4D3BBD.jpeg

40599F18-E669-4BAD-9065-ABAD11E8E1B2.jpeg

5BBA3F74-B963-42DB-8CFE-57310BF573BD.jpeg

Nice work mate glad to see you have used blue engineering bricks for the damp proof course as it has a soft pleasing effect to the eye rather then bright red. Also the roof is a good design as it looks like it has achieved a greater pitch then 15 degrees which means you can use a clay tile and not a pan tile. I work on many Heritage projects and also renovated at least 6 houses so have a bit of insight. 

I really recommend this company for bricks , pavers and roof tiles. They have been going for 200 years in a Clay pit in Kingswinford . Clay ages so much better then concrete and so pleasing to the eye as the color does not fade;like concrete or tends to crack. I used a staffordshire blue on mine and looks great with a white rendered house.  My last project photos below I had to remove over 150 tons of soil etc- grabber truck is a great friend in such a project. 

https://www.dreadnought-tiles.co.uk/index.html

I also used reclaimed bricks from the Birmingham arms factory for my front wall. I'm a bit of a ferret but old building materials are so much better quality then new materials. In Fact that good my reclaimed coping stones on my front wall have a makers stamp - I looked them up and went bump in 1860 so that should tell people how good the old material actually is. 

Also this company for natural slabs, I used blue honed sandstone and a German Resin with 5mm gap between slabs to point. Best value in the UK 

https://nustone.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlqqojuLl5wIVirHtCh0ezwZkEAAYASAAEgIvnvD_BwE

This guy can knock you up a hand made Oak door for £750 in High Peak which is exceptional value.Mine is the same door on the gallery with black studs. 

http://www.claphamsjoinery.co.uk/gallery

Internal natura; doors these ;ot are great value. 

https://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunchthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunchthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinLaunch

Good one of the door and roof tiles here - excuse me that Im going on a session for the weekend with the lads . 

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhen

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin&downloadWhen

Blue stable pavers from Dreadnought look a treat with tarmac. 

Edited by Keyo

Well done mate, looks a huge amount of work! I'm sure you had reason, but it surely would have been easier to level of and start a build from scratch!?

It had major damp problems and this was the way to sort it for good.

if we’d have knocked it down fully and started again we would have had to go for complete planning permissions again whereas this way we only needed planning for the extension. 

Ah makes sense mate. Was it single skin before? There are quite a few 70s built bungalows surrounding our house of non standard construction and single skin, which suffer awfully with damp. Ours isn't the best but with foot thick stone walls and no cavity so poor insulation, no air bricks and the only window/door vents from the French doors we put in, it's understandable. No mains gas to our village either so costs a fortune in heating oil bills in the winter months as we have to open the windows for a couple of hours every day to get some air flow! 

It had a 50mm cavity but no insulation, the damp course was slate so no good, all the bricks in the internal walls where damp so replaced by blocks and proper damp proofing. The front however didn’t have any cavity so we put it back with one.

in the 50mm cavity walls we packed with insulation and internally used insulated plaster board to give the same properties as a 100mm cavity.

the insulated plasterboard might be good for your walls if you have any more decorating to do.

im with you on the gas, our old house didn’t have gas.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:54 PM, ChrisL said:

Struck lucky here really, the neighbours are great. One of them didn’t even bat an eyelid when I told him I’d cracked his wall with the digger 😂 

thanks Kippy, if your ever running in Hull feel free to pop round, be good to see you.

Will do 😉

Love a good house build thread, can't believe I missed this. Great work and excellent garage you're building at the rear.

really nice work there Chris.  I think your attention to detail on the car is absolutely evident in your house build.  Other than the quality it is also very aesthetically pleasing , both in style and colour

I must be almost driving past your house a couple of times a day at the moment Chris, staying in Hull and working at the terminal in Easington. How’s progress recently?