Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

Couple of hours spare so I am going to start the front brake 288mm upgrade. I have been collecting these parts for a while,  just needed the time to fit.  Not to everyone's liking in black maybe.... with genuine vag discs and greenstuff pads. 

Hopefully the refurbed speedlines will fit with the balance weights on!

20201227_131704.jpg

20201227_132100.jpg

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Couple of hours spare so I am going to start the front brake 288mm upgrade. I have been collecting these parts for a while,  just needed the time to fit.  Not to everyone's liking in black maybe.... with genuine vag discs and greenstuff pads. 

Hopefully the refurbed speedlines will fit with the balance weights on!

They look great, getting mine refurbished is a job on this winter’s list. 

You might just have to move the balance weights inboard a bit, clearance between the top of the calliper and the wheel will be fairly minimal!

I like them in black 😎

As for the shims, I’ve never used them before but that means little. They never came with the ones I’m going to run although they were present in a set I stripped and forgot about a few years ago........still in a box I occasionally move 🤣

I too, really like them in black. Mine are getting powder coated right now. Which lines did you buy? It's going to look fantastic! Can't wait to see them installed, cheers! 

Just did my 997 in black - great colour and also hides the dirt well. 

Stock factory colour codes 

C2 Silver 

C2s red

Hybrid Green 

GT3 ceramic Yellow

Edited by Keyo

20 minutes ago, easypops said:

I like them in black 😎

As for the shims, I’ve never used them before but that means little. They never came with the ones I’m going to run although they were present in a set I stripped and forgot about a few years ago........still in a box I occasionally move 🤣

Easypops you have a few boxes must be hard to find 😆

ware.jpg

3 minutes ago, Keyo said:

ware.jpg

You don’t know the half of it mate, I emptied one of my sheds today as it’s leaving to be replaced by a bigger one. 5x sunroof assemblies 6x wings 2x doors 2x windscreens 2x dashboards 3x rear quarter glasses a set of rubber mats and a set of new mats 🤣

Just now, easypops said:

You don’t know the half of it mate, I emptied one of my sheds today as it’s leaving to be replaced by a bigger one. 5x sunroof assemblies 6x wings 2x doors 2x windscreens 2x dashboards 3x rear quarter glasses a set of rubber mats and a set of new mats 🤣

All keepers though im waiting for my sunroof to go although functioning A1 - last owner of my car said it was the last corrado sunroof for sale new from VAG- I wonder what year he purchase it. 

1 hour ago, easypops said:

I like them in black 😎

Thought I would go black to maybe hide them.  I had a late mk3 16v GTi with the same size brakes and alloys, was sure they had shims.... I will see how it goes 😊

1 hour ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I too, really like them in black. Mine are getting powder coated right now. Which lines did you buy? It's going to look fantastic! Can't wait to see them installed, cheers! 

The hoses are Goidridge phantom I believe, will check tomorrow. I got the new hoses and new genuine discs with a stripped down set of 288s calipers, £100 off ebay months ago. I don't need the calipers as I had already got a set and powder coated them. 

Happy with how the finished side looks 😊. Easy to bleed for once as it was just pushing it along one side 

Probably 5mm clearance on the balance weights, that's good enough for me

Need to find time for the other side..

20201227_162419.jpg

20201227_162857.jpg

20201227_164606.jpg

1 hour ago, Keyo said:

ware.jpg

🤣🤣😂

Already on!! Wow looks amazing and it's making me regret to get them in red lol. Those ebc pads are supposed to be really good too, I ended buying akebono pads for mine... Nice work! 

Wheels look good and so do the brakes. 
logos in silver are a nice touch.

Shows them Brembo runners what class is. 

2 hours ago, ABV-VR6 said:

Already on!! Wow looks amazing and it's making me regret to get them in red lol. Those ebc pads are supposed to be really good too, I ended buying akebono pads for mine... Nice work! 

Always used the greenstuffs on my 16v just so that wheel cleaning was easier. Never had a problem with them. There is a set of genuine pads also on the box of bits I bought... didnt realise.

2 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Wheels look good and so do the brakes. 
logos in silver are a nice touch.

Shows them Brembo runners what class is. 

Cheers Shaun

So, as I still have one side to do, I wondered if it would be beneficial to do a separate write up with lots of pics, as there is nothing in the Wiki about this, what do people think?

I appreciate it isnt a difficult swap, but others may benefit from this, just a thought.  

Let me know your thoughts 🤔👍

5 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Always used the greenstuffs on my 16v just so that wheel cleaning was easier. Never had a problem with them. There is a set of genuine pads also on the box of bits I bought... didnt realise.

Cheers Shaun

So, as I still have one side to do, I wondered if it would be beneficial to do a separate write up with lots of pics, as there is nothing in the Wiki about this, what do people think?

I appreciate it isnt a difficult swap, but others may benefit from this, just a thought.  

Let me know your thoughts 🤔👍

I definitely would benefit greatly from a "how to" with pictures, I never did that and was going to improvise so that would be much appreciated! Cheers! 

25 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I definitely would benefit greatly from a "how to" with pictures, I never did that and was going to improvise so that would be much appreciated! Cheers! 

one person benefits,  then it is worth it.  😇

56 minutes ago, stuarttaylor37 said:

Looks smart, how did you do the logos?

The logos are stickers that I got off ebay. I made sure to panel wipe so that it was very clean, then sealed them onto for some protection.  I know they wont last forever but I thought it would be a nice touch

13 minutes ago, Cressa said:

The logos are stickers that I got off ebay. I made sure to panel wipe so that it was very clean, then sealed them onto for some protection.  I know they wont last forever but I thought it would be a nice touch

Thanks.

I don't suppose you have a link do you? I'm about to do the same and think it looks well smart.

On 12/28/2020 at 1:15 PM, stuarttaylor37 said:

Thanks.

I don't suppose you have a link do you? I'm about to do the same and think it looks well smart.

Found this

20201229_145048.jpg

Had a few hours to test and see if all of the components for the Schrick manifold would work. When purchased it had a different rpm controller to the standard Schrick one. I did speak to Stealth who suggested getting an MSD unit but thought I would try and find out more on the one I had. 

Turns out it is a JEGS RPM digital controller and I found some instructions online too. Sh#t myself worrying about wiring it up just to see if it worked, but it did. After some confidence boosting pics from easypops I have wired into the ECU and everything else. This rpm switch allows you to easily adjust its switch point and is extremely helpful bring digital and displays the car rpm that it links to.  So a huge thanks to Martin for his help. 

I wasnt sure if any of the ancillaries would work but I plumbed it in and gave it a try. Placing the schrick manifold upside down on my engine I connected the vac line to it and started the car. Huge relief that it started as normal and the rpm controller was matching my tick over.. Increasing the revs it displays on the rpm controller and as soon as it hit 4k that I programmed it to the flap opened, result. Next 20 mins spent doing the same over and over again 🤣🤣 open,close..open, close. 

The manifold cant be fitted until I swap the front engine mount for a vibratechnics one and maybe look at the other 2. And a cut to the bonnet i believe 😲

Another problem I had was trying to keep it all OEM looking and all the aircon relays being where most people put the vacuum  reservoir.  See what you think

The big positive for me is that it all works

20210102_144819.jpg

20201231_151059.jpg

20201231_123008.jpg

20201231_123842.jpg

20201231_150236.jpg

20210102_152240.jpg

20210102_152758.jpg

20210102_133346.jpg

yup you need to cut a mall strip off the bonnet.  I'll take a pic of mine if that helps.  I put a strip of bluetac on the bonnet and kept closing and opening the bonnet to see exactly where to cut.  despite the bluetac it still took about 5 runs to get it right.

fitting and hiding everything is a pain, but you seem to be doing well with yours

Hasan

7 minutes ago, fla said:

yup you need to cut a mall strip off the bonnet.  I'll take a pic of mine if that helps.  I put a strip of bluetac on the bonnet and kept closing and opening the bonnet to see exactly where to cut.  despite the bluetac it still took about 5 runs to get it right.

fitting and hiding everything is a pain, but you seem to be doing well with yours

Hasan

👍 If you get a pic with a tape measure next to it that would be great. Blue tac sounds a good idea as I was thinking of some thin sponge with water based paint on it. As i have had this over a year, there is no rush 😊