Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

In the 6 years that I have had her, I finally decide to sort the car having it's own thread

1st May 2020 and she has gone off for paint. Then I can put her back together and drive her, maybe !! No rush eh

Scary as hell driving her up on to the back of the lowloader and the furthest she has gone in years 🤣

20200501_144342.jpg

20200501_152303.jpg

Poor thing, being left alone in a dark room!

Seriously, great to see a new build thread.

Hopefully your idea of “taking my time” is different to mine (currently up to nine years !)

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Nice, look forward to seeing the updates

I was  wishing it could have a shiny exhaust like yours fitted . That  supersprint is very nice and makes a change. Had the windscreen guy not broken my windscreen taking it out  I could have been halfway to buying one.

9 hours ago, James. said:

Poor thing, being left alone in a dark room!

Seriously, great to see a new build thread.

Hopefully your idea of “taking my time” is different to mine (currently up to nine years !)

Didn't realise I was rushing 😂😂

I bet you are super excited, I’m curious who you use, how it comes out, how much it costs and how long it takes. 

Mine was supposed to go for paint this year, probably only have the passenger rear wing done now.

If you don’t slow down you may  end up with a mot this year. 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:59 AM, 1xshaunx1 said:

I bet you are super excited, I’m curious who you use, how it comes out, how much it costs and how long it takes. 

Definitely been a long time coming. 

This lockdown hasn't helped as I was taking it to a guy in Nottingham near where I work. The first place I chose was moving premises and still was not ready... 

I have chosen RE finishing not far from us. Should be ready in a month due to the lockdown. He is happy for me to call round at anytime and have a look at its progress. And will send pictures. 

Just over 3k is NOT cheap to me, but he is taking the doors etc off to paint ,then refit to ensure he is happy with all the gaps.  And everything is to be painted, so if I have missed anything of the list please say

Car

2 x bumpers

2 x wing mirrors

Number plate light surround

Sunroof panel

Rear spoiler

MOT...... how dare you suggest such a thing 😫😂😂

Call over when it is back mate. Hows the driveshaft repair going?

Edited by Cressa

Drive shafts done. Been flatting and polishing wing and bumper due to paint shrinkage so haven’t been for a test yet, should be tomorrow. Have you thought any about ceramic coating when it’s done ? 
I’ve got a spare rear spoiler you can have if you want to get one painted at the same time and try the brake light LED thing. Can’t see you missed anything 

Nice one didn't realise you were doing a full restore will be stunning when its done. Worth taking the bumper irons off and brackets mate to get them powder coated - also the splitter iron as they rot badly ? 

Edited by Keyo

2 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Nice one didn't realise you were doing a full restore will be stunning when its done. 

Be better with your engine and wheels..  My restoration has been going on for years. More annoyingly is that over the time,  some parts that were blasted and powdercoated are now showing signs of rust. But nothing major, so the plan is to get it running and enjoy it..hopefully 

4 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Be better with your engine and wheels..  My restoration has been going on for years. More annoyingly is that over the time,  some parts that were blasted and powdercoated are now showing signs of rust. But nothing major, so the plan is to get it running and enjoy it..hopefully 

Sure get her on the road and enjoy that is plan A . 

I’m no expert but 3k for all that work sounds like a good price,as with any paint work it’s only until you’ve had the car a few years after the work you really can tell how good a job it’s been,but I’d imagine you’ve done your homework and this persons come highly recommended.Cant wait to see how the paint comes out and looking forward to seeing this on the road.

3 hours ago, Cressa said:

the plan is to get it running and enjoy it

That's the most important bit.

When I started mine (many moons ago) the intention was to make it "as new as possible". Then I thought to myself, If I make it "too good" then I'll either never drive it or leave it unattended. So I set about cleaning/restoring it to a drivable standard (Clean, tidy, 12 months old kind of look).

Point is, everyone has a different level to which they want to restore a car. The important thing is to enjoy it.

Additional things to remember for paint:

1, Fuel filler flap.

2, "Corrado" script badge (if it was colour coded when period correct - Pre Aug 1993. Or even if you want this anyway, as silver badges are getting hard to come by in decent condition )

3, Bumper edges (wheel arch and bottom leading edges)

4, Slam panel.

NB: Keep a small pot of the mixed paint back for touching up.

As for the rust on the powdercoated parts. Neutralise it with something like Jenolite or POR19 and touch it up before it creeps. Get yourself some spray cavity wax and fill the inside spaces of the underside parts. I bought a bunch of cans from Wurth, which is thin enough going on and then firms up to a thin layer.

Once you get the car back, book it in for an MOT. It then gives you a deadline to work towards.

Edited by James.

19 hours ago, James. said:

That's the most important bit.

When I started mine (many moons ago) the intention was to make it "as new as possible". Then I thought to myself, If I make it "too good" then I'll either never drive it or leave it unattended. So I set about cleaning/restoring it to a drivable standard (Clean, tidy, 12 months old kind of look).

Point is, everyone has a different level to which they want to restore a car. The important thing is to enjoy it.

Additional things to remember for paint:

1, Fuel filler flap.

2, "Corrado" script badge (if it was colour coded when period correct - Pre Aug 1993. Or even if you want this anyway, as silver badges are getting hard to come by in decent condition )

3, Bumper edges (wheel arch and bottom leading edges)

4, Slam panel.

NB: Keep a small pot of the mixed paint back for touching up.

As for the rust on the powdercoated parts. Neutralise it with something like Jenolite or POR19 and touch it up before it creeps. Get yourself some spray cavity wax and fill the inside spaces of the underside parts. I bought a bunch of cans from Wurth, which is thin enough going on and then firms up to a thin layer.

Once you get the car back, book it in for an MOT. It then gives you a deadline to work towards.

I have just had a long read of your thread james. 😂😂 You have definitely been doing this longer than me.

Thanks for the tips. I've left the fuel filler flap on and have a great chrome script badge surprisingly .

I will check the spraying over when I go to look. The slam panel needs to be painted for me, even though it was done 2 years ago off the car, i want the colour to match.

All great advice  and the cavity wax is on my to do list.  Thanks

On 5/2/2020 at 10:20 AM, Keyo said:

Nice one didn't realise you were doing a full restore will be stunning when its done. Worth taking the bumper irons off and brackets mate to get them powder coated - also the splitter iron as they rot badly ? 

Apologies for not replying to a great suggestion.  They were done a couple of years ago thankfully 👍

Picture update as I dropped in un- announced at the sprayers. Making it real as the car is being primed. 

20200518_121007.jpg

20200518_121011.jpg

20200518_121151.jpg

20200518_121143.jpg

20200518_121128.jpg

Went to view the car today. All painted up and shiny. After half an hour looking it over I cant fault it. It did look fantastic and i certainly wasnt expecting it to be able to look that nice. So i am happy and it will be collected tomorrow,  for me to spend the next 6years putting it all back together 😂🤣 (I hope not)

20200526_123014.jpg

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Went to view the car today. All painted up and shiny. After half an hour looking it over I cant fault it. It did look fantastic and i certainly wasnt expecting it to be able to look that nice. So i am happy and it will be collected tomorrow,  for me to spend the next 6years putting it all back together 😂🤣 (I hope not)

20200526_123014.jpg

Looking great mate - what rad you got in the bay ? 

looks superb - probably better than it left the assembly plant in the 90's

6 years - that sounds like me!

Edited by ger040

Lovely jubbly. You just can’t beat being happy with your new paint job as letting that kind of money go smarts a bit. 6 years I bet it’s more like  6 weeks now you can see a finish.

It’s all happening. 

The indicator holes are still there, but difficult to see at that angle. Nice idea though, but this one is to be kept original.

Thanks for all the kind words, today is a big day. Shaun, I haven't paid for her until this morning, think I may need some drugs to get me through it. The paint job cost more than the car. What sort of idiot does that !!!