Cressa

Karmann the Corrado

52 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

There is a metal circlip holding it in, that's it. Once that's removed, either give it a good tug (ooh er!) To release it from the vacuum, or apparently if you pump the brake pedal that works too. Very quick and simple. The longest part of it is removing the inlet elbow for access. 👍

Cheers Sean. I was thinking it was on the Abs pump 😂😂 atleast I know where to look.

Clue being in the name...brake pedal sensor🙄😂

Found it 🤣. The awkward part for me was removing the c-ring clip as the gap is underneath.  Took it apart and I did indeed have the dry soldered joint. I tested with an ohm meter before and was at around 580ohms. The little circuit board just came away from the plug pin connections. Cleaned up and resoldered, put back together and sealed with some clear silicone. Tested again and I now had 250 ohms all the way up to 1800ohms then infinity as the plunger is pushed. Happy with that and put back in the car. Hopefully it will get a run tonight and I shall have cured the ABS light coming on whilst driving. It obviously needed doing, so a big thanks for this Top Tip 👍👍

20200912_130445.jpg

20200912_134039.jpg

Well she had a run out tonight and the ABS light stayed off, so result, thank you everyone. 

I also received  the 2 litres of MT90 gearbox oil and a 17mm hex key today and had the pleasure of changing out the dirty brown stinky old oil. £45 for it all so very pleased with that. I was happy with how the gears changed anyway, but a swap won't hurt. 

That really was an easy job

Good to hear. I've done this job as well and it fixed that ABS fault code. I also has an issue with the pump itself so had a new fitted which solved it - that code was about a valve if I remember correctly.

My other corrado (16v) has no ABS light but on removing the light/dial/readout (whatever it is called) i found no bulb so have it all to do again. Got a new pump from chris ferry for 10 quid though which was 10 times cheaper than the vr6 one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Chris is always good for parts. My car would be In a sad state if it was not for him.

Anyway, drive time this morning with the new gearbox oil. Into 1st and still seemed slightly notchy and  thinking this was a waste of time..into 2nd and smooooth,  3,4 and 5 all the same. 

32 miles later and it really has transformed it. I did not believe it could make such a difference,  so highly recommended .

Edited by Cressa
Spellcheck

On 9/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, Cressa said:

Anyway, drive time this morning with the new gearbox oil. Into 1st and still seemed slightly notchy and  thinking this was a waste of time..into 2nd and smooooth,  3,4 and 5 all the same. 

32 miles later and it really has transformed it. I did not believe it could make such a difference,  so highly recommended .

How about 2nd into first while going about 5mph, mine gives a lovely clunk that the whole street can hear.

On 9/12/2020 at 11:11 PM, Cressa said:

Well she had a run out tonight and the ABS light stayed off, so result, thank you everyone

I'm curious how it passed the MOT. My last place seemed to pass my golf with flying colours, yet this year a new garage gave me a screenplay of things to fix. Worried me a bit

If the car goes in gear with the engine off ok, but struggles with the engine running you have a clutch drag issue - the plate isn’t clearing the flywheel. 

a clutch bleed is an easy fix if there’s air in the system

7 hours ago, culshaw said:

How about 2nd into first while going about 5mph, mine gives a lovely clunk that the whole street can hear.

I'm curious how it passed the MOT. My last place seemed to pass my golf with flying colours, yet this year a new garage gave me a screenplay of things to fix. Worried me a bit

The ABS light coming on has only occured whilst driving about a week after the MOT. 

I think the 2nd to 1st gear usually throws you forward 😆 but mine isnt noisy or dragging, it just wasnt smooth like a more modern car, but the oil change has definitely mad a huge difference. 

I will try your suggestion tho Dox

The synchromeshes are known to be weak, so if shifting down from 2-1 whilst the gearbox is still spinning, you will get the jerk or clunk of its had it. Common for 1 to reverse and 2-3 as well as these gears see the most torque.

I agree, me if I have to downshift from 2nd to 1st, I always wait for the car to be at a complete stop before doing so.

MT-90 is what you guys uses for the gearbox? I'm debating between this and the Amsoil manual gearbox oil...

Great fix on your ABS by the way, I've learn something new. Good job!

On 9/12/2020 at 11:11 PM, Cressa said:

Well she had a run out tonight and the ABS light stayed off, so result, thank you everyone. 

That's good mate, I also found the hardest part was actually removing it from the servo !

On 9/24/2020 at 2:15 PM, Simeon said:

That's good mate, I also found the hardest part was actually removing it from the servo !

👍I like a cheap fix. Especially as we dont have many of them for a Corrado 

Finally got round to fitting  a replacement roof lining today.  I ruined mine by sticking a small patch near the sunroof and  it blew through. I was not happy 🤬

Sourced a replacement for 40 pounds and after a good vacuum and clean, time to swap.  Looks better now and lesson learnt !!

Great job you have done there, your car looks spot on.

I am a fan of the mudflaps and mine will have them as well 👌

Do you know what that sensor on the servo does?

Great job you have done there, your car looks spot on.

I am a fan of the mudflaps and mine will have them as well 

Do you know what that sensor on the servo does?

It’s the pedal position sensor - used by the ABS ECU to tell when the brake pedal is pressed and by how much.

Later ABS systems like the Teves 20 did away with it.

+1 on the mud flaps - I have them too.

Finally decided on the spark plug leads and fitted the NGK VW201 ones. Cheap enough, perfect fit and a better start up. Very happy 

20201024_160047.jpg

I like those as well! And like you, I'm definitely going with black leads as well. 

Cheers 

20 minutes ago, ABV-VR6 said:

I like those as well! And like you, I'm definitely going with black leads as well. 

Cheers 

👍 it is a nice oe look

More surprisingly I have had a look the pile of my receipts tonight.... shocking 😩 I need a drink now.

The best part was looking at the cars history and realising i have all of the original MOT certificates. Sad I know

Cressa saw this tonight look where they have put the aircom max and norm- clever. 

radddd.jpg

5 minutes ago, Cressa said:

I do have that switch and trim in a box somewhere. Is it a left hooker or RHD?

Think its a lefty  mate  Canadian car- the diagram off etka shows it fits into the heater control trim panel- do you have one of them heater slotted trims have never even seen one nate,.

Edited by Keyo

I will get a picture up. I bought all the bits and made up a connection loom to the diavia switches. Then found that the switch does not clip into a RHD heater panel above it. I could glue it tho!! 

Does that heater trim with the d=slot even exist mate or is the diagram showing an imaginary part lol- ABV with the Japan car might of had it?