Keyo

Engine under trim debris and splash guard

As we all know the  Mk2 shares the same floor pan as a  Rado but later has a wide track - has anyone ever  modded a MK2 GTD under engine trim to fit a rado as SWG are now selling them.  Engine bay if far to open for debris for my liking . 

http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=100

Anyone brave enough to give it a ago 

Edited by Keyo

47 minutes ago, Keyo said:

As we all know the  Mk2 shares the same floor pan as a  Rado but later has a wide track - has anyone ever  modded a MK2 GTD under engine trim to fit a rado as SWG are now selling them.  Engine bay if far to open for debris for my liking . 

http://www.swgmotorsport.com/asps/ShowDetails.asp?id=100

Anyone brave enough to give it a ago 

John @ JMR has entire underfloor protection front to back. Not sure if it's all CF, pretty sure his diffuser is though. He probably made and moulded it himself I'd imagine as well rather than modifying something. He might be open to sharing what he did, could be worth a phone call.

Just now, seanl82 said:

John @ JMR has entire underfloor protection front to back. Not sure if it's all CF, pretty sure his diffuser is though. He probably made and moulded it himself I'd imagine as well rather than modifying something. He might be open to sharing what he did, could be worth a phone call.

Interesting chap cant help but feel a guard under the engine would be a huge plus although lets be honest these cars do not tend to see bad weather anymore as mostly weekend cars. 

3 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Interesting chap cant help but feel a guard under the engine would be a huge plus although lets be honest these cars do not tend to see bad weather anymore as mostly weekend cars. 

I agree mate, really frustrating when if you do have to run it in the wet, the filth ends up coating even the bonnet soundproofing it's so bad!

2 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

I agree mate, really frustrating when if you do have to run it in the wet, the filth ends up coating even the bonnet soundproofing it's so bad!

You know it mate after them nice shiny bits you have in they bay would be nice to protect them somewhat. 

Those nice shiny bits in the bay were fitted in 2014/15. I had to run it as a daily for about 3 months in 2016 which was a bit upsetting at the state of it afterwards! 😞

45 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Be nice to have a mk3 golf at the side to compare fixings

Sure im just wondering which would be closer a Mk2 golf or a MK3 . You would need to modify no dealt and make some fixings but worth it I would say. I know on a M2 floor pan it is the same part number as a Corrado. 

Product Vehicle Years
Golf Mk2 1984 - 1992
Jetta 1984 - 1992
Corrado 1989 - 1995

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/191803205c-floorpan-half-left.html

Edited by Keyo

12 hours ago, Keyo said:

9 hours ago, Keyo said:

Sure im just wondering which would be closer a Mk2 golf or a MK3 . You would need to modify no dealt and make some fixings but worth it I would say. I know on a M2 floor pan it is the same part number as a Corrado. 

Product Vehicle Years
Golf Mk2 1984 - 1992
Jetta 1984 - 1992
Corrado 1989 - 1995

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/uk/191803205c-floorpan-half-left.html

I think being plus axle, it's more likely to be MK3 for fixing points at the front

3 hours ago, seanl82 said:

I think being plus axle, it's more likely to be MK3 for fixing points at the front

That would be good as the cheapest - think I’m going to buy one and next time in with stealth have a look at it . 

40 minutes ago, Keyo said:

That would be good as the cheapest - think I’m going to buy one and next time in with stealth have a look at it . 

On 7/13/2020 at 11:51 AM, Stone0311 said:

Hi Dox,

Yes its as you note above, second pulley on the outside of the crank with a small belt that runs to the PAS pump (pic below); for some reason i have a difference in alignment of about 10mm that looks odd and not sure it is correct.

Thx

IMG_20200525_201807.jpg

(Weird shit going on with the forum makes a pic from another thread appear in my post here)?????

Chassis legs are the same, standard and wide track differ with wishbones and shafts

Edited by Dox

Fair point, but I suppose it depends where the mounting points are. The subframe will be the same as a MK3 which I think will be where it bolts too, along with the x-member or front bumper.

Would the sump cut-out be a different size and need to be modified?

Surely the VR is longer and a different shape to the 4 cylinder ones. It's easy enough to make a try out of ABS if you can find a way to mount it - one concern would be that it can reduce the airflow for cooling, so that might be a concern with the VR, which already runs hot.

1 minute ago, seanl82 said:

Fair point, but I suppose it depends where the mounting points are. The subframe will be the same as a MK3 which I think will be where it bolts too, along with the x-member or front bumper.

Its a good 10 years since I had a MK3 tdi estate, the sides fit to the chassis legs I think, the front would have to be either a trim or a patch job depending on length. The sump hole would need widening too (this would dictate position?).

2 minutes ago, Dox said:

Its a good 10 years since I had a MK3 tdi estate, the sides fit to the chassis legs I think, the front would have to be either a trim or a patch job depending on length. The sump hole would need widening too (this would dictate position?).

Ah ok fair enough. I had a MK3 GTI 8v which from what I can remember, didn't have an undertray so speculation on my behalf. I thought the chassis legs would be too high as they rise up in the engine bay, to be able to mount an undertray to them.

removed incorrect link

Edited by Dox

34 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

Ah ok fair enough. I had a MK3 GTI 8v which from what I can remember, didn't have an undertray so speculation on my behalf. I thought the chassis legs would be too high as they rise up in the engine bay, to be able to mount an undertray to them.

That image is upside down, the sides curl up towards the chassis legs, the forked bit at the top slides into the spoiler on the MK3 TDi.

Some of my posts aren't appearing - very odd!

That image is upside down, the sides curl up towards the chassis legs, the forked bit at the top slides into the spoiler on the MK3 TDi.
Some of my posts aren't appearing - very odd!

f406ebf0383c470060f0a7de8251f5eb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f406ebf0383c470060f0a7de8251f5eb.jpg

That’s the view from the underside

Oh I see! I wasn't paying attention properly on the links so didn't notice the bits on the side. 😖

Thinking about it now, If I remember correctly there are cutouts on the chassis legs that receive the speed nuts which, I imagine the undertray would bolt up to.....

Pic other way up

5242ea159f2d36be14205a034e496825.jpg