g0ldf1ng3r

Triple relay uprated headlight looms

41 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Just get a waterproof/sealed electronics project box that will fit the relays, and then you cut a hole in the side for a special wiring grommet that is weatherproof - RS Electronics or similar should have all that. One end of the wires will need to be disconnected either way - to be honest, first loom I had I just put them in a ziploc bag beside the battery, and that worked just as well!

I might have to get one of them zip bags !

The problem with sealing the relays inside anything is once water gets inside it just makes matters worse with condensation unable to escape?

id just secure the current relay set up to the battery with Velcro or sticky pads and make a deflector plate to stop water from the grill soaking them in a downpour. Heat from the engine and airflow from the grill should keep them dry?

2 minutes ago, Dox said:

The problem with sealing the relays inside anything is once water gets inside it just makes matters worse with condensation unable to escape?

id just secure the current relay set up to the battery with Velcro or sticky pads and make a deflector plate to stop water from the grill soaking them in a downpour. Heat from the engine and airflow from the grill should keep them dry?

Good point I could be unwillingly building a small pond for them to sit in - I will probably will just 3m tape to battery inside my thermo battery bag. 

Mine sit happily attached to the battery and I am happy with them. Not an area that actually suffers with water ingress so i am not worried by it personally 

One of my relays (2 relay system) has just died so I've disconnected it all. Need to investigate further but don't think is due to moisture as it's Velcro'd to the battery and underneath the cover. Imagine it's just sticking or a dry solder joint as it's been in place about 6 years.

23 minutes ago, seanl82 said:

One of my relays (2 relay system) has just died so I've disconnected it all. Need to investigate further but don't think is due to moisture as it's Velcro'd to the battery and underneath the cover. Imagine it's just sticking or a dry solder joint as it's been in place about 6 years.

I have a Rayne one on the VR and its getting on  like yours- I think some of the marine relay packs and fuse inline units are the way forward-  we could could build the ultimate loom between us but electrics its my weak point. 

Glad i purchased that little inline fuse today though- 2 minute job and a little more protection from the elements.. 

Edited by Keyo

I  have fitted the warerproof fuses on my Diavia loom. They do look better than a non protected one.especially as they are black. I will get a picture up in a bit

11 hours ago, Keyo said:

I have a Rayne one on the VR and its getting on  like yours- I think some of the marine relay packs and fuse inline units are the way forward-  we could could build the ultimate loom between us but electrics its my weak point. 

Glad i purchased that little inline fuse today though- 2 minute job and a little more protection from the elements.. 

Yeah mine is the Rayne one too mate. Well I have a Degree in Electronic Engineering so with you sourcing the bits and me making them, we'd be on to a winner! Lol

8 hours ago, seanl82 said:

Yeah mine is the Rayne one too mate. Well I have a Degree in Electronic Engineering so with you sourcing the bits and me making them, we'd be on to a winner! Lol

Its this country is so bloody damp - long winter ahead and the berries on the bushes this year have a crazy large harvest- im expecting a good snow fall this year - all ready stocked up work gloves and socks lol . 

On 10/16/2021 at 2:32 PM, Keyo said:

Good point I could be unwillingly building a small pond for them to sit in - I will probably will just 3m tape to battery inside my thermo battery bag. 

i can understand the desire to want to protect the relays & fuses but ive ran these looms in both my rado's for around 10 years & apart from 1 relay failing ive never had any issues - these were both the version without the OE connectors as well, so just well taped up spade connectors

by sheer coincidence i was fitting my new loom yesterday but didnt quite finish as i was charging the battery

im pretty sure i have managed to route it so that i can attach the relays to the side of the washer bottle which will make taking the battery out easier & also put them in a position where water shouldnt get to them

i will get some pictures when it has stopped raining 

On 10/16/2021 at 10:19 PM, seanl82 said:

the relays can stick & fail at some point but is an easy fix

i hope it didnt happen when you were out driving at night!

The only issue I ever had was when the in-line fuses burnt out after my top rad hose sprung a leak - in daylight thankfully.

They weren't really covered or waterproofed, and some of the looms I've seen move them closer to the relays or even into the relay box itself.

Sure I could do with another one now for my VR as the rayne one the plug seems to be dodge and the one i got last time is for the G60 . 

I would certainly buy another one - as they are getting better every time they are been made by Kurzy would be great to add more to the next loom if the creator could find the time of course.  Would be water proof casing around the fuses and relay box . Looking on ebay seems to be many options. Dont know the chap to ask but I would certainly buy a couple of new looms if there is any interest in another group buy. 

Edited by Keyo

Just now, Keyo said:

Sorry Im crap with electrics but would this unit not be perfect as has x3 fuses and relays in waterproof box . 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Waterproof-Relay-Panel-Marine/dp/B01FWILJQI

Yeah, that looks the part alright - not sure how much they cost though - I think on the last group buy kurzy was willing to consider a sealed unit, but it would have upped the price by a lot so we left it off as there was already extra cost for the OEM connectors.

If I was going for a marine unit like this one, I would go whole hog with 4 relays - it gives you the most redundancy if anything goes wrong.

2 minutes ago, fendervg said:

Yeah, that looks the part alright - not sure how much they cost though - I think on the last group buy kurzy was willing to consider a sealed unit, but it would have upped the price by a lot so we left it off as there was already extra cost for the OEM connectors.

If I was going for a marine unit like this one, I would go whole hog with 4 relays - it gives you the most redundancy if anything goes wrong.

Ive found this to which looks the same parts but the relay sockets look odd ? You would want to use better quality relays I imagine. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111735938159

You still have an opening for the wires to navigate? 

I suspect most issues have been brought about with hosepipes and pressure-washers?

Are we saying the box above is the one to use members ????? If so I may contact Kurzy and ask kindly if he may make me one. 

Anyone have a better solution? 

Cant remember which oe connecters I need for the rest of the loom ??  any links - anyone else interested in purchasing one? 

Cheers. 

Some years back kevhaywire used some micro relays in a loom he ran inside the car to keep the relays nice and dry.  Any chance any of the pics from older threads might be available again?  It would give a good idea of how he did it and how he ran the cable through the bulkhead.

2 hours ago, fla said:

Some years back kevhaywire used some micro relays in a loom he ran inside the car to keep the relays nice and dry.  Any chance any of the pics from older threads might be available again?  It would give a good idea of how he did it and how he ran the cable through the bulkhead.

I remember that, it was a very neat install - it has the disadvantage though of not shortening the length of the loom, although the wire quality will be better - the main benefit was taking the load off the switchgear and dash wiring and fire prevention, same as is done by putting an fuse on the illumination earth from the headlight switch.