_Matt_

Corrado breakers - who are you using to keep your motors on the road?

Hi,

Always good to know who people are using and their experiences. I have historically used Chris Ferry - fantastic service every single time - but now he's shutting up shop after many years of sterling service I've been looking around for other contacts for those hard to find parts.

So far I've used 

Corrado Graveyard  - seems a nice bloke but too busy to supply parts. Bought a set of rubber mats from him via eBay in Nov '20 and am still being given the runaround. Intially, on purchase of the ebay listing, he'd lost 2 of the mats and said he'd send them on but I told him to wait until he had the full set. Having chased each month I can see it's unlikely they'll ever to come me. During that time I tried buying a load of smaller parts for the interior but just given the runaround for months.

Corrado breaker in Swadlincote - bought a door but wasn't in the best condition when it turned up "no rust" = seams that had lifted considerably from the rust. 

Who else is out there that's good with sending stuff out? For panels it's definietly best to collect in person. 

Yeah, had quite a few bits off Chris over the years - sad to see him gone, he was tops to deal with. The Graveyard I have never heard anything good about - maybe if you went to collect in person you might have some luck.

Being based in Ireland, I'm now really stuck - as even second hand parts will attract VAT and customs when coming from the UK, which is the unfortunately the best source of RHD parts. Don't know what I am going to do, and will probably not end up buying unless I really need it for an urgent fix, rather than for future plans and insurance.

Here in Ireland there are only two reliable sources I know of - and they rarely get a VR6 in.

That's a shame fen. Is there anyway I can help get parts? I don't mind posting them on as a gift but guess you loose the link with the supplier/warranty. But if you're desparate do shout.

34 minutes ago, MJA said:

That's a shame fen. Is there anyway I can help get parts? I don't mind posting them on as a gift but guess you loose the link with the supplier/warranty. But if you're desparate do shout.

Thanks for that. I'm sure things will work themselves out over time somehow - I usually buy new stuff direct from Classics or Germany, sometimes via eBay, and I think Heritage are working out some way that they can ship from within the EU.

Even gifts and second hand items attract Mr Custom Man's attention - the limit on gifts is around £45. It's ridiculous now that if someone sends you on something at cost or just postage (something that often happens on this brilliant forum) that you end up paying extra on top. It especially bad as there are so many RHD specific parts and the UK was the largest RHD market and the best in terms of cars being broken.

Such a shame - I'm into lots of things apart from the Corrado and other old cars - bikes (pedal and engined) guitars, film cameras, binoculars, camping, radio and electronics and there are so many small, high end engineering outfits in the UK that turn out great product of an amazing quality that are now locked out of a global market. In some cases, these are items that are literally made no where else. Ah well, as above, these things will sort themselves out and a way will be found.

I just got my doors and glass from Retro Performance in Thornaby as he had an early 16v in.

Top chap, very reasonable price for the parts too,  but I'm not sure if he's a regular breaker or if it was a happy accident (he did have some cool older VWs in the yard though).

2 hours ago, TomB said:

I just got my doors and glass from Retro Performance in Thornaby as he had an early 16v in.

Top chap, very reasonable price for the parts too,  but I'm not sure if he's a regular breaker or if it was a happy accident (he did have some cool older VWs in the yard though).

HI Tom! I'm over on PH as well - gutted to see what happened to that G60 you've put years and years of love into.

As a side note - get a readers ride post going on this forum - your documented Corrado owneship adventures make great reading (except this last bit about the break in). I'm going to start one again as all my pictures have disappeared. 

Fen - that's a kick in nuts but I'm sure it will work its way out over time too. 

In the mean time If you'd like me to push packages off from the coast of Wales in your direction let me know 😄

I use AMOS who is unpopular on here but he always has about 8 cars and years of supplies in his garage. Last time I went he had a nugget with a usa tailgate and third brake light. I would say he has the most parts in the UK- although I wouldn't take my car to be worked there as only let Vince work on my car. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MJA said:

HI Tom! I'm over on PH as well - gutted to see what happened to that G60 you've put years and years of love into.

As a side note - get a readers ride post going on this forum - your documented Corrado owneship adventures make great reading (except this last bit about the break in). I'm going to start one again as all my pictures have disappeared. 

Thought I recognised the username! 😁

Also,  I'm going there's not too many other G60 owners needing new doors out there....!

Hi everyone I'm new on here and new to forums in general. I'm after someone who sells or is breaking a corrado for bits and pieces but main thing atm is the sunroof mechanism or if I can use any other mechanism from another vw if that's possible, if anyone can help! Thanks

3 hours ago, Moody VR6 said:

Hi everyone I'm new on here and new to forums in general. I'm after someone who sells or is breaking a corrado for bits and pieces but main thing atm is the sunroof mechanism or if I can use any other mechanism from another vw if that's possible, if anyone can help! Thanks

Oooo a can of worms indeed

Moody - there are a few options available. I would say it's better to upgrade than try and find a working Corrado roof. 

My experiences to date - I bought a working corrado mechanism from a chap with the initals BR that was sold as working for £200. It broke on the second use. I wouldn't say it was the sellers fault but it's a 25+ year old bit of kit and certainly not worth £200. Don't do what I did - false economy. 

I then fitted a mk3 mecahansim with a Passat B4 moonroof. That combo works well - you can get the mech for about £45 (I use Leo GS the mk3 parts breaker on facebook - he is a great bloke and a moderator on a lot of groups). The passat moonroof can be picked up for around £50. I would sell mine if anyone wants it, it needs a new seal though. 

I wasn't a fan of the moonroof for my car. I prefered the stock tin panel. I got lucky and Chris F supplied me a bag of sunroof bits for a reasonable sum so I've got 3 corrado mechs built (2 x in car). I can't sell any of these though as I have 2 corrado's and need to keep it for spares. This is the best route to go - buy a broken mech and try and source a bag of bits (the bag of bits only cost me £50). 

I've seen somewhere someone has adapted the mk3 mech to work with the corrado inner panel. This is probably the best solution as the corrado mech is weak vs mk3. Mk3 mech out of the box will not auto slide the inner panel. I haven't looked into this with any detail yet.

• Like 1

In my experience, having seen both Corrado and Mk3/Passat mechs apart, they will all eventually break in the same way - usually snapping of the left cable guide.  Next most likely thing to go is the motor - you can check if the mech operates smoothly using an allen key and the small drive wheel in the motor underside. Most of this is down to lack of maintenance and lubrication - I read somewhere that the lube spec changed at one point and the service interval increased.

As said above - most second hand Corrado ones will be nearly dead already, this is why people go for the replacement upgrades or try to make up a working unit. The Passat one is the best fit to the curvature of the roof.

There is a project ongoing currently on the Corrado FB group to reproduce the left and right cable guides, and I believe they are nearly at prototype stage.

56 minutes ago, fendervg said:

In my experience, having seen both Corrado and Mk3/Passat mechs apart, they will all eventually break in the same way - usually snapping of the left cable guide.  Next most likely thing to go is the motor - you can check if the mech operates smoothly using an allen key and the small drive wheel in the motor underside. Most of this is down to lack of maintenance and lubrication - I read somewhere that the lube spec changed at one point and the service interval increased.

As said above - most second hand Corrado ones will be nearly dead already, this is why people go for the replacement upgrades or try to make up a working unit. The Passat one is the best fit to the curvature of the roof.

There is a project ongoing currently on the Corrado FB group to reproduce the left and right cable guides, and I believe they are nearly at prototype stage.

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution with a repair kit of some form.

Mine still works and i did strip and clean it with the correct lube etc but to me it still struggles and when i use it (once a year with our weather) i await the dreaded failure.

One thing i did was to replace the rubber ends on the arms (im sure it was on this forum) to ensure the arms lift as they slide along the mechanism 

32 minutes ago, ger040 said:

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution with a repair kit of some form.

Mine still works and i did strip and clean it with the correct lube etc but to me it still struggles and when i use it (once a year with our weather) i await the dreaded failure.

One thing i did was to replace the rubber ends on the arms (im sure it was on this forum) to ensure the arms lift as they slide along the mechanism - t

The best thing I find is to source parts that are obsolete and just keep an eye out for them- they did make a few reapair kits for them and I  keep a look out for them and have managed to get four sets for relativity cheap from Italy as they were less then half vag charged, the cable  part is been made by a guy called Kieran- you can still by the pins from classics but that's about it- also the Passat and mk3 cassette is still available new but not cheap and Im mean 800 suckers. 

rep.jpg

Edited by Keyo

Ah, you are only teasing people now!

But yes - the spares are the best - I managed to get hold of a complete set including cables and got my roof repaired - then the motor went and had to be replaced.

1 hour ago, fendervg said:

Ah, you are only teasing people now!

But yes - the spares are the best - I managed to get hold of a complete set including cables and got my roof repaired - then the motor went and had to be replaced.

Some of the parts can still be had off ebay with a part number search. wink 

Thanks for the replies/advice guys, I will try and see if can find a repair kit if not mk3 mech maybe the next option... will update yous or if anyone does find a kit for sale then would much appreciate it if you could let me know....@keyo I've had no luck on ebay

I've used Corrado graveyard direct through FB. Really well priced in comparison to some other joker who wanted  £80 for a second hand throttle cable on there! I got a cable & front spoiler bar for about £50 delivered which I thought was really good. He supplied photos before I purchased too. Both items arrive well wrapped and swiftly so I guess it's luck of the draw.

To think there would be no warranty on it either - that seller is a proper wrong un. I see some NOS scrapers sold for 600 this week in the UK - Im pretty sure these will be remade shortly by classics like the roof gutters.