Hutty

VR6 Engine Breather Problem?

Hi All,

Driving the car the other day and it continually stalled at junctions then had very uneven and rough power delivery at normal speeds. Plenty of popping on the overrun. Managed to limp home. Had a look under the bonnet and found that an old sealant repair has failed and there is evidence of a small oil leak from it. I think it's the engine breather but I'm not even sure what this component is! Help would be appreciated. Would this account for the rough running or is it unrelated?

IMG_1317.jpeg

Anything that allows unmetered air into the engine will cause stalling and rough running - air is bypassing the MAF  creating a lean mixture

Bought a new one of these from VW dealer a couple of months ago for about £60 i think, only had to wait a couple of days for it. Buying this part from a Ford dealer used to be the recommendation but they wanted over £85 with a 4wk wait. 

Just now, mnmv12 said:

Bought a new one of these from VW dealer a couple of months ago for about £60 i think, only had to wait a couple of days for it. Buying this part from a Ford dealer used to be the recommendation but they wanted over £85 with a 4wk wait. 

Thanks for the info. Does the blue hose in the pic look OEM to you? It might be that the component is ok but the hose is a bad fit. Certainly all that sealant looks questionable.

Definitely not. The tube on the breather that connects it to the rocker cover often splits or is damaged by people over tightening a jubilee clip. It looks like someone has attempted to repair it.

4 hours ago, mnmv12 said:

Yes this is true the ford hacks have well gone- im surprised you got one from the dealers - sound like they have made another batch again as were obsolete not to long ago for a year or so. 

When you get your new part, instead of a jubilee clip you might want to source some OE style hose clips, like these:

https://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/HoseClip_Oetiker_PG167-7B.html

The hose is more of a plastic material than rubber and I found the jubilee clips had mashed it up, so it was all pinched. I swapped mine for the crimp style which seems to hold the shape better.

Thanks for that. I contacted VW and they told me that the part was made obsolete in 2014. I managed to get hold of one from Ebay so I'll wait and see what clips it comes with if any.

This is the one I bought from my dealer for £61.94 in July part number 7M0-128-101.

Perhaps I was just really lucky and they had old stock sat on the shelf. Ford did have stock at the time but like I said it was a 4wk wait and £85. Might ring the dealer tomorrow and see if he has any more!

EBA63A64-E5D0-49BD-9774-99E383BEF668.jpeg

Someone here recently used the audi 'hockey puck' pcv, cant remember who  perhaps Seanl82?

Just need to get the correct sized hoses for it. Alternatively an oil catch can. Both will be far cheaper than a vw/ford part

4 hours ago, fla said:

Someone here recently used the audi 'hockey puck' pcv, cant remember who  perhaps Seanl82?

Just need to get the correct sized hoses for it. Alternatively an oil catch can. Both will be far cheaper than a vw/ford part

Was me. Seems to be working ok 

9 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Was me. Seems to be working ok 

Aha sorry i was sure it was one of the shauns/seans!